Incontinence

Replacement rates for various AUS are quite variable. I’ve read durations before replacement or explantation spanning 3-5 years. Men with no complication histories or pre-existing conditions have replacement average rates of approximately 7 years, though some can be shorter or longer. Just read a study with the following quote: “Patients without additional risk factors undergoing second and third artificial urinary sphincter surgeries experience revision-free rates similar to those of their initial artificial urinary sphincter devices. Patients who have been treated with pelvic radiation have earlier artificial urinary sphincter complications. When multiple risk factors exist, revision-free rates decrease significantly.” In other words consider your risk factors carefully before undergoing AUS, because cuff erosion, infection and a host of other problems can occur, resulting in continued incontinence and corrective surgeries.

bold text I'm 88, and had Radical Prostate Surgery, in Aug.2008. I've settled on using external catheters with a drain tube and lower-leg bags. All this is "boss" and my Urologist has encouraged me to do the AUS. But, the extra "hardware" has become part of my extended family. Defeating ODOR has become a priority.

But the biggest problem is the loss of the catheter once in a while. So, I double up with a padded pull-up and after the external catheter is installed, coat ALL VISIBLE INNER-KROTCH SKIN with petroleum jelly (holds down skin itch). Daily Kegels. Read the National Assoc. for Continence (?) and see what're new, old, weak, and strong ideas. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to contribute! You are appreciated.

This website emphasizes CONTINENCE; only occasional mention of ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION. Since radical prostatectomy and other kindred treatments leave a trail of incontinence AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, I assume it's permissible to at least mention ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION. The National Library of Medicine is a good place to check up on the validity of PENILE VACUUM DEVICES. The prescribing of "penile pumps" is growing fast.

Sources accessed through Google searches have turned up interesting claims i.e. male babies in the mother's womb begin experiencing penile erections at some point. These erections (Nocturnal - nighttime)continue in men up to" 40-50 years old.

Nocturnal erections have at least 2 or 3 vital functions. When they slow down or disappear, the penis begins to deteriorate from a lack of oxygenated blood (and other nutrients contained in red blood). The use of the penile vacuum pump has been gaining ground for 100 years. I depend on it to help maintain penile sturdiness for holding the external catheter in place. I use the ENCORE brand name and usually with water; not always. ENCORE does not mention water.

Thanks useful information. Vacuum pump company profits. I’ve been using Vacurrect pump for about 2 years at 75. Does create an oxygenated blood filled penis, but seems to increase girth and stretching of penile skin, rather than adding to lost length from RP.

DrRick - Re: vacuum pumps - AUS doctor recommended:
These pumps are superior to my pump in that they include a pressure release valve. The ENCORE PUMP is a very good pump - effective and durable - lower price). But the ENCORE PUMP DOES NOT HAVE A PRESSURE RELEASE VALVE. Dr.Rick's pump probably has a better body seal. The ENCORE pump uses 4" thin rubber discs, 3 or 4, used as a pad between the body and tube.

All vacuum pumps must have some kind of soft go-between to make a tight seal between the tube and the body. Neither of the pumps advertises the use of water. Water will destroy the battery-powered motor. I use water in the ENCORE pump, but I use the hand pump, which sucks in a bit of water. I appreciate your input on the vacuum pumps.