Kegels While Standing Question

Archives1

Staff member
Question: I am doing Kegels each day-7 weeks post prostate removal. I am 74 years old. When I do Kegels standing up I squirt some pee each time I Kegel. When I am sitting or lying down I don’t have this problem.
Thoughts/Recommendations?
Thanks
Nick

I am a gal so I am built different but I noticed when I do them it is harder standing up, I think gravity has something to do with it.

I have found that it is easier for me to do Kegels standing up. And I also squirt some pee while doing the Koegel exercises. At first I thought that I was doing the exercises wrong however I made sure that I wasn’t tensing up my stomach muscles. My in continence seems to be getting better so I guess that the squirting of pee is not a bad thing

I was having the same issue and this is what my research revealed when you are sitting you are compressing your lower abdominal muscles that comprise your pelvic floor. Consequently when you do a Kegel exercise the compression and tensing of your muscle group holds the urine in the bladder. However, when you stand the body returns the muscles and abdominal organs to their natural relaxed position. Now when you perform a Kegel exercise the same muscle groups are working but you are not deriving the benefit of upper pressure from the organs and pelvic floor muscles.

Gravity is a factor but the real issue is the difference in position of the muscle groups and internal organs between sitting and standing.

This seemed like a logical explanation and as time as progressed the leaking while standing has diminished.

It is a gravity thing. So when standing and doing the kegels it is harder to do work the muscles involved and will strengthen them more . It's good to do the kegels sitting, laying down, and standing.

When I first started I did a set in my morning shower- afternoon did them laying down- evening set in the shower- it worked for me-