IRS Income Tax and costs of Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
US Income Tax medical deductions and Incontinence Products

I ask:

The US Government/Congress made it extremely difficult to use the Medical Deduction, and, of course, you can only use it if you do the Long Form. I think. So, you have to beat the "Standard Deduction" in costs eligible for that Standard Deduction test, totaling up all your deductions. Once you pass 70 ½ years, that can be hard if you have medical insurance.
That’s one of the questions I intend to ask our Tax Preparer, this year. Maybe you should, too; especially if you have had high medical expenses – out-of-pocket expenses for any medical issues.
My questions are: Are diapers a medical deduction? How about just pads? Do you have to get a prescription? Have you considered this?
If you don't have insurance, or if you have only Medicare, has anyone figured out if you can use the cost of diapers as deductions passed the costs Medicare pays? The co-pay or just for a better product?
What if you find the Medicare-approved-diapers don’t do the job and you have to go out-of-pocket for better ones? Can you talk your doctor into a prescription for that? Or does the Doc’s original Rx cover that and meet the IRS’s standards?
What about shipping fees, if that’s how you get them?
If you are one of the people who gets a really big bill for incontinence medical costs, have you looked into the Income Tax issue? I used to have to deduct medical costs, back in the ‘70s and early ‘80s, and even the "little things" used to add up, so I had a category in my Quicken and kept my receipts. Now my Credit Unions have a financial tool much the same as Quicken, so you can see your income and expenditures by type/category. I think banks like Bank of America do too.

Coolwinter123 replied to my original post:

“On the IRS website there is a medical deduction assistant that can help with your medical expenses for your sch A.”

Consult your Tax Preparer/Financial Advisor!

If you have information, and or links, please post!

I don’t know about taxes as I’m on SSDI but Medicare doesn’t cover diapers. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

If they are documented as a medical necessity. To get to that point you need to exceed 10% of your gross in medical expenses to qualify

MayMay: Love the word choice! "Pox". A medical Term for a medical issue and totally appropriate for the IRS!
Justej: Sorry, thought I'd seen someone post they'd gotten it. All the more reason to investigate the IRS/tax-deduction possibility.
NoCans: Yeah, on the 10%, but at today's costs for medical, just buying Insulin might get you over the 10%. Depends on whether you have Insurance, if the deductible is too high, and if the co-pays add up. Tedious to keep track of, you need those receipts, etc, but could save some important money if you are as short of cash as some of the people on here. Me and the wife have decent retirement (Fixed income being eaten up by inflation), decent medical insurance, and we can sure use that cash. Right now, we don't meet the deduction 10% thresh-hold, but staring that possibility in the face, this year or next. Anyone can have a bad medical year.
Nor sure about "medical necessity", but if your doctor gives you a prescription, does that make it a medical necessity? How about if it is serious enough to prevent you from working or leading a so-called normal life? Darned it i know, but worth asking. At least we can investigate it, ask a tax preparer or tax advisor.
I have a friend who exceeded 1.5 million dollars. In one year. Out-of-pocket. His medical was deductible that year - and unfortunately qualified him & wife for bankruptcy. It isn't just our US Medical system that's broken, it's our legislative/tax system too.
I really really appreciate all your input.

The IRS? The Giant Medical Industry? The Giant Medical Insurance Industry? Big Pharma? Congress? Medicare?
They don't give a Damn?
Well, that goes without saying.
My dog has the right idea. Sprawl all over his chair and snooze; wake up long enough to get a treat; visit the great outdoors when nature calls; maybe chase a Moose or bark briefly at a passing sled-dog team; go back to the chair and assume a different sprawl! He's got us trained....

Check with tax preparer. My understanding, incontinence supplies qualifies for FSA a/o HSA, but not deductible on federal taxes as a medical expense.

I double that any IRS Tax Examiner would questions these items. They are related to your medical condition. As long as you are deducting items you pay for and exceed the hurdles that Congress put on the medical deduction and file the correct forms you should be fine.

I hope you aren't a victim of that law took away part of your social security because you worked in one of the 16 states that opted out of Social Security (SS), the WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision). Congress touted it as a way to reclaim money from Americans who worked in a Foreign country. It was really passed because they decided they'd made a mistake and let taxes on Social Security get away from them. If I'd had worked for the State longer/only, I'd have gotten a lot bigger pension check. If I'd worked only for Soc Sec jobs, I'd get a lot bigger social security check. So i lost 40% of my SS-qualified contributions for my 8 years in the US Military. I lost 40% of my SS from the jobs i had to work my way through college. I lost 40% of the 9 years spent at another non-state job. I don't get a military pension, and because i was never in a war zone & didn't do 20 years, i don't get VA benefits.
We got shafted when Congress changed the medical deductions - both the percent of Gross Income and what qualified.
Yeah, we got shafted. I guess that is what Congress is for - to shaft us non-billionaires.
Excuse the (justified) cynicism.