Should there be no sales tax on incontinence products???

Over here in the UK there’s no VAT on goods specifically for disabled people so that includes anything incontinence related. You just have to fill out an exemption form when purchasing confirming a disbility.

Hi Rita, I, too know that song!!!! Wasn't it somebody from Wales who sang it??? Yeah! Mary Hopkins, wasn't it?? That was an interesting take on maternity clothes and how people regarded pregnancy back in the days. But I didn't realize that in 1959 stores didn't sell maternity clothes. I suppose if someone today didn't want to wear a specific piece of maternity clothing they could just go over to the plus-size aisle, or maybe!!! Frankly I haven't given that much thought!!! 😮😮😮
And question for @Sci_Fi_Fan, do you have to fill out that exemption form every time you buy something incontinence related, or is it something that's kept on file somewhere??

@Sci_Fi_Fan From what you’ve reported, on a number of topics, the UK seems to be far superior in their care of their disabled than is America.

There’s a *great* documentary out called “Crip Camp” and the founding of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Soooooo good!

@snow I think it’s a case of swings and roundabouts really - there are a lot of issues over here as well. It’s quite challenging getting out and about with the wheelchair in my hometown - once I officially cross the boarder into London things become easier though.

@billliveshere - It depends on the site. Some sites just get you to fill it out at the checkout and automatically deduct it, others get you to pay the full amount and then reimburse you once you’ve submitted the form to them and keep it on file. I buy autism and mobility related stuff as well.

billiveshere, I don't know who sang it. The first time I heard it was in the movie Caberet with Liza Minelli.
About the maternity clothes: I lived in Kingston, NY and at least there I couldn't find any. As I started making my own I didn't look at other stores in any of the other places we lived. I did order my fabric from the Speigel catalog.

Hi Rita, it's surprising you couldn't find maternity clothes in Kingston, N.Y. as it's a good sized town there along the Hudson. I can't imagine that nobody wanted to have babies there unless the town had a kid-free mandate of some kind! But that is highly unlikely!
And the Speigel catalog is another name we don't see any more, although they were mentioned by game show hosts on afternoon shows.
I didn't know that "Those were the days my friend" was in the movie Cabaret. I've heard it on the radio quite a bit.

billiveshere, Kingston was really blooming when we arrived there in October 1959. IBM had opened a facility bringing a lot of newly hired young men to their computer school. People in the area were converting their homes into duplexes and garage apartments to accommodate the influx of "foreigners" as there were no apartments per se. At the same time that the property owners benefitted from the rentals they also resented the newcomers invading their territory.

My first child was born in the Kingston Hospital but we actually lived in Mt. Marian outside of Kingston. It was beautiful country with lots of little waterfalls. It was a great time for us taking weekend trips to NY City, Catskill Game Farm, seeing the Vanderbilt mansion, visiting the Ticonderoga museum and so much more. But the following March we were excited to leave for Grandview, Missouri for Bill's first IBM assignment.

I believe the song in Cabaret was part of the theme song.

This tax discussion here is really interesting. I think you can argue a lot about what, why and how much should be taxed and if and how you can create something like tax justice.

I think, however, that the consideration not to tax certain products is not a way to more tax justice but brings little for the consumer in the end. The reason for this is quite simple: The price of a product is not determined by its production price but by what the customer is willing to pay for it.

Here in Germany we have already had a temporary tax cut on consumer goods. The result was simple: an increase in inflation. Within a short period of time, prices rose to the level before the tax cut and were not taken back afterwards.

I think that in the long run no one has anything to gain from not taxing medical products, for example. The money is missing the state and the things are within a short time again just as expensive as before with the tax.

I think tax fairness can only work through e.g. a progressive income tax or through a wealth tax.

I would be interested to know how prices are in the USA. If the tax is different in each state - does that really have a strong effect on the price of low-priced goods like incontinence products? There will certainly be nationwide mail order - will the price be quoted without tax or will there be separate prices for each state?

How does it look regionally in the stores? I think at the borders of the states you might notice a difference but is it the same everywhere?

Michael Dahlke - A lot of good questions. I've recently been reading some writings of Marx and Engels and what was going on in the 1800s in Germany. Not enough people have really dived in and examined the outcomes of how our money works for or against us. We tend to just go along! Just recently New Mexico began to tax online purchases. It was a boon to the consumer to not have to pay state tax, especially for those at or below the poverty line. The weekend before public school starts in August, tax is not collected, but I have noticed that the prices of some items that weekend are actually a little higher than before. If a person is above the poverty line they can stock up on items during that period but those below the line are not able to do that, usually living on just enough to cover shelter and essentials.

You're exactly right about the determination of the price for an item. I owned a gift store and gas station in the 1980s. The only "store" I know of where 'what the consumer is willing to pay' is not applicable is in the gasoline market. And notice the psychology used to set a price in grocers or big-box stores. The "savings" is always highlighted to make you believe you're getting a bargain. Often it's not a savings at all but a stock price. And even when we have garage/yard sales if the marked price is too low people tend to not buy it. I'm not sure that the tax on items has anything to do with the price on them. Prescription medications and most foods are not taxed in NM.

Tax justice is an interesting term. Taxes seem to work the same way big business works. The people at the top derive the most benefit. When a city proposes to do some big development they always strive to pass a bond. I've always wondered where did the tax money go? The argument is that the passage of the bond will not increase taxes. It's so complicated to me I don't have the patience to understand it and just have to hope that the people who are elected are wise in their decisions.

@ritanofsinger, when we have the state tax holiday before school starts, I mostly see people using it to buy big-ticket items like computers, and often not for students. I know several people who've waited for the tax holiday to buy a computer, because they get to save the 8% or so sales tax. I've never really looked to see if stores jack up the prices, though.

I was a little sad when I had to start paying tax on my online purchases, but I understand the need for it as more and more purchases move online. I started a small manufacturing and online sales business in the late 90s and ran it until I got divorced in 2007 and got too busy taking care of my kids (hard to spend hours in the machine shop when you have a two year old and a five year old who need you!) I'm glad I didn't have to compute the tax for every order I got - tax rates vary by state, county, and municipality, so you have to know the exact specifics of where the item is going to charge the right tax. Easy for Amazon with its army of programmers, but not so easy with my own little self-written shopping cart software!

I can't imagine how places would do it is there's a mishmash of taxable and non-taxable items. A national policy on no sales tax on medical products and other necessities would be much nicer than a state-by-state thing.

Itapilot. The items that I saw that were jacked up were some school supplies, back when I was homeschooling my grandkids.

My son had a similar experience in Denver when his girlfriend left him and their two pre-school kids and a 1 year old German Shepard/Rottweiler dog. It was impossible for him to work his own business, roofing, and take care of the kids. That's where I came in, moving the kids here, then he moved to Alb too.The kids moved away after 11 and 16 years but my son is still with me, fortunately. He just unloaded and loaded the dishwasher!

I agree with your last statement but States Rights legislators would probably not agree.

I too agree that a national policy of no sales tax on medical supplies and associated goods would be fair, rather than leaving it up to the individual states. I would go along with that! But try to get the states together on anything like that these days!!!! And as Rita says above, states rights legislators would not go along with that at all!!
We have a sales tax holiday here in Florida. It's basically for school supplies and clothing. I don't think it affects anything medical related like incontinence goods. Not sure if people here take advantage of the tax holiday to buy big ticket items like computers but actually I think in Florida there is a dollar limit on the supplies that are covered by the sales tax holiday. Also, Rita, your comment about the psychology of pricing items in big box stores is very valid as well. At Wal-Mart the price of an item is always set in large font so you're attracted to it and you think you're getting a real bargain.
Wal-Mart does that, as everyone who has ever been to a Wal-Mart knows very well!!
Something that's priced $4.99 makes it sound a lot lower than say just pricing it at $5.00. And the 99 cents is what Wal-Mart does. As a simplified example, at the area's most popular supermarket, Publix, an item that's $4.99 at Wal-Mart is priced at $5.09, so the buyer thinks that isn't a bargain and that if anything, it's kind of high-priced. At least that's what this buyer thinks!!!

@MichaelDahlke I’m all in favor a progressive income tax but it will never happen in America because the wealthy rule America and they control politics.

I’m a fan of Marxism ideally, but in practice, it doesn’t work out well, unfortunately.

@snow Progressive income tax, I think, has little to do with Marxism - but rather with finding an excuse for the problem of tax equity. In Germany we have a progressive income tax rate. Nevertheless, the tax law is not really fairer, because with 19% VAT and an even higher tax rate on fuel, the people with little money are hit harder.

After all, the federation of the states here does not go so far that they can determine their taxes themselves - that is a matter for the federal government - even if the Bavarians may sometimes see it differently...

MichaelDalke" $5.79 for a pack of 44 Poise #2 pads, before tax. I think there was one of a very rare sale and 0.22 off. Don't know the price of the store brand. Sorry, don't know price of diapers. We get them, it's a necessity, and I don't even look at the price. AK has rather expensive shipping to here, so maybe others in the "lower 48" can tell us their prices.
Alaska has no state sales tax, it is up to local communities. We have, i think, about 3.5% in summer, 2.5% in winter (that's to take advantage of tourists without the locals getting their panties in a twist). Anchorage - biggest city by far - has none (nearly 1/2 the pop. of state) Their property taxes are higher). Ketchikan is about 5%.
Certain things, those not requiring speed like dairy product, and can be shipped in bulk - like cans of soup - might cost 1-3 cents more.
AK used to be 22% more than Washington; then came modern transportation. Better barges and tugs. Containers. Fast cranes to unload containers. Ro-Ro ships
Washington (the state) has 10.1%. Yikes! But non-resturant food is exempt (knowing WA, probably not much else). Not sure what else is exempt. If you are from out-of-state, something you don't consume there is exempt. If I buy a car there, i get a temporary license for Alaska, (The dealer does that) and don't pay the outrageous Washington taxes and fees. Ketchican has a hospital and is too isolated, too small, too close to non-profit, for the hospital they have. They pass bond issues, I don't think any of them lost, and you can see exactly where the money went. A helo-pad for the Medivac helo (It was a half-hour drive from the US Coast Guard base. If you have an ICU patient, seconds can matter). Parking garage. Hyperbolic operating room. Desperately needed improvements for the senior facility wing (that might have one of your grandparents in it). Electrical upgrade. etc. Not too often.
Sales tax is regressive. This site has illustrated that.