InterStim or not?

Archives1

Staff member
I had surgery to reduce the size of my prostate 2 months ago. That caused my overactive bladder to go haywire, and I am incontinent with diaper changes morning afternoon and night. My urologist recommended InterStim, but I fear the potential problems with that. Therefore, I am considering just living with the incontinence and diaper changes for the rest of my life. I am 79 years old male, physically fit (a daily tennis player), with no other serious health problems. Is it reasonable for me to forgo the interStim and just live with this incontinence indefinitely? Thanks for any suggestions!

I'm just approaching 50 and I made that same choice. It was just not worth it as the dr said I might still need a pad "just in case". It fell into the same category as the drugs, not 100% effective. The choice really is how often you will need to change and level of protection it seemed, not would I be able to wear normal underwear.

Hi everyone,

I had posted this message before!

I am a 79 year old male who has been dealing with severe incontinence due to having my prostate removed 18 years ago. I live in Thailand and have chosen not to use diapers or pads since having my entire bottom wet in this warm humid climate is quite uncomfortable. Instead, I wrap my little guy up with a couple of paper towels held in place with small (about an inch in diameter) rubber bands and then cover them with a shortened sanitary napkin plastic bag also secured with rubber bands. This works fairly well as long as I change them every hour or two. Prior to retiring for the night I usually spend at least 30 t0 40 minutes trying to empty my bladder as much as possible. Fortunately, most commodes in Thailand have a kitchen type sprayer attached to the tank supply valve which makes cleaning yourself a fairly simple task. This apparatus is far less expensive and even more convenient than a bidet. I don't know how I could function without it! I can't imagine that first world countries like America don't use this simple device? Most nights I can go about six hours without a pitstop since I am lying in a horizontal position and I'am also inactive.

I am considering venturing back to America in the spring to have an AUS valve installed; however, I first need to find an affordable Medicare supplemental policy which will cover the 20% copay. I am living on a paltry SS income. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Ron

I am 76. About 2015 I had the Interstim.

A few years later I had a REZUM procedure to reduce the prostate size. I have not had to wear any protection yet.

@Altacucker I have an interstim and it has helped reduce leaks, but I do still have to use protection. I have decided to stay as I am and not even consider the urinary diversion surgeries that have been suggested to me.

I had the InterStim trial years ago (early 2000) and it wasn't successful in the fact that I still had spasms and still leaked. I assume the technology has come a long way since then but every surgery has it's risks.

Thanks for sharing. I told my urologist to forget about the Interstim, and she responded asking me if I'd like to participate in a research trial about an alternative treatment for OAB. I'm waiting for more info about it.

Altacucker said:
Thanks for sharing. I told my urologist to forget about the Interstim, and she responded asking me if I'd like to participate in a research trial about an alternative treatment for OAB. I'm waiting for more info about it.

Please share any information in regards to treatments for OAB syndrome. Whatever it is.

I'll take any cure - even any treatments that are secured in Fort Knox. Would love to inquire about anything new to my urologist. I tried Myrbetriq which was newish - but didn't work.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

@Altacucker

I don't know what your fears are about InterStim, but I have had no ill effects from it. They require that you have a temporary trial to see if there is any improvement before you can have the permanent implant. Even after having the permanent implant, you can still have it removed later if you want.

I always request general anesthesia whenever I have any procedures. My urologist is always happy to comply. So, that makes it painless.

I have virtually no fat on my butt, which makes sleeping on my side painful. I also carry CCW. Therefore, instead of having it placed in my butt, I asked my urologist to implant the generator under the skin on my back, just above the beltline. That has worked well for me.

Remember that you are in control of setting the program and amplitude of the generator, and the sales rep is available to give you lots of programs to play with.

I chose to have the NON rechargeable battery in the generator since they last for many years. The external controllers are rechargeable, but that is not a problem for me.

I would think it would be worth a try for you. Who knows, maybe you would be able to stop using diapers.

@Honeeecombs

I just had a visit with my urologist. He said there are 2 new meds on the market that claim to have little chance of side effects. Sorry, but I don't know what they are. Ask your urologist what he knows about them.

@Honeeecombs

I just had a visit with my urologist. He said there are 2 new meds on the market that claim to have little chance of side effects. Sorry, but I don't know what they are. Ask your urologists what he knows about them.

Altacucker said:
I had surgery to reduce the size of my prostate 2 months ago. That caused my overactive bladder to go haywire, and I am incontinent with diaper changes morning afternoon and night. My urologist recommended InterStim, but I fear the potential problems with that. Therefore, I am considering just living with the incontinence and diaper changes for the rest of my life. I am 79 years old male, physically fit (a daily tennis player), with no other serious health problems. Is it reasonable for me to forgo the interStim and just live with this incontinence indefinitely? Thanks for any suggestions!

It's not unreasonable for you to make your own decisions about your own healthcare, in accordance with your own needs and priorities. You are wise to do so.

I have an Interstim, and it's helped a lot. It's relieved a lot of the pain from bladder spasms, and in conjunction with botox I'm dry and diaper free most of the time. I start having some bladder issues shortly before it's time for more botox, but that's the only time I find I need to wear a diaper unless I know I'll be away from a restroom for a long time.

That said, I was 51 when my Interstim was put in. That makes my situation somewhat different from yours.