Insomnia

@ritanofsinger , hello again!

ritanofsinger said:
MezaJarJarBinks - have you clicked on any of those ads that claim to know how to stop tinnitus? I haven't because I know that they want to sell something and my doctor thinks it's a scam. Do you have the cicadas noise all the time or is it connnected to some activity? Does it affect your hearing otherwise?

No, I have not. Like you, they are scams. My audiologist once offered some experimental hearing aids that were supposed to cancel the noise I was hearing, but I have not taken her up on that. She, and other sources, say that it is caused by a hearing loss of a certain frequency, and the brain is trying to compensate for the loss of that frequency by producing it. (?) I don't think they really know for sure what causes it.

@ritanofsinger,
TIPS on using available features of this forum:

Notice the icons next to every posting.

--> The "@" icon - If you want someone like me to be notified that you are talking to them directly in the group click the "@" icon next to their post. It will send me an email that you want me to see your message in the group. Otherwise, I might not ever notice it.

--> The "bubble" icon - Click this icon to include a quote from someone's post. Highlighting some text from a posting will copy just that text. Clicking the bubble without highlighting will copy the entire posting. That is how I quoted you in the box above this reply.

--> "envelope" icon - Click this icon to send a personalized message to that person that no one else will see. (That is how I sent you a private message.)

Hope this helps. :)

I have a grownup stepson that has tinnitus very badly. He can barely hear us talk, and he speaks loudly. Of course, we have all heard people with profound hearing loss. They must speak loudly just to hear themselves. :(

I used essential oil’s with a defuser. Lavender or frankincense is the best oil for relaxing. With arthritis threw out my body and spinal cord injury the pain makes it hard to fall asleep. Start the refuser 15 minutes before bed. It helps me a lot. Better than sleeping pills.

@justej Ambien is the only thing that helps me, other than strictly the top 10 insomnia rules (stuff like having a totally dark and cool room, no clock-watching, no devices for an hour before bedtime, etc.). I can barely sleep without a medication aid. I also take Gabapentin and Trazadone. Melatonin is a total non-helper to me. I agree that lavender helps like 3%, abs I sleep with a fresh lavender sachet under my pillow, which I break up for maximum potency right before bedtime. Sometimes I sprinkle the dust on my pillow.

My combo of ADHD and OCD has kept me awake since I was about four years old. The last thing I needed in my life was to be awake also from bedwetting/OAB and chronic pain. Oh well. I can already tell that my lack of sleep has majorly negatively affected my life - though it has made me an excellent entertainment director and producer.

I 1000000000000% agree that not getting enough sleep is so much worse the older one gets. The consequences really bowl me over now and I barely used to notice if I stayed awake for more than 48 hours.

Snow, has anyone ever spoken to you about CBT - Cognitive Behavior Therapy? I share many of your issues and can't remember the last time I slept through the night. It has been years. Both the doctor who diagnosed my ADHD and my sleep apnea doctor have suggested I seek out CBT. I am seeing my GP this week to see if he has a recommendation. I am curious is anyone has suggested that for you.

@stuart I did 14 months of CBT at a local sleep clinic. The only things that helped were the standards: room totally dark, room cold, very heavy blankets, no clock watching, get up and do something else in another room if you can’t sleep, no electronic devices for an hour before bed (I’m bad at that one), no caffeine after noon, no alcohol after 6:00 p.m., gradually decrease exposure to lighting after 6:00 p.m., maintain strict sleep schedule, create and maintain strict bedside routines (like brushing your teeth, hair, putting on lotion, setting something out with lavender), etc. But after 41 years of chronic insomnia, no, I cannot simply override all of my mental programming that not-sleeping is the enemy, that I won’t be able to sleep, and that things will suffer the next day like if I have a test or a major meeting. It’s very serious now that I have so many sources of serious chronic physical pain. Not sleeping now doesn’t just mean reduced brain power, it means an extremely physically painful next 2 to 3 days, which makes me even more scared of insomnia. In CBT they try to tell you you’ll be just fine if you don’t sleep, but that’s not true. Not sleeping is hell. It reeks havoc on work productivity and personal relationships.

I have ADHD and OCD so my brain just does not shut down my racing thoughts without the sedative-hypnotic Ambien. It’s unbelievably challenging for me to be calm. Ambien is the only thing I ever found that truly helps me fall asleep and stay asleep. Actually, the Dimetapp from 1987-1995 helped. It had something in it that wasn’t lame melatonin, but they were made by the Feds to remove it :(
Too bad, because it was easier to get, and safer, than Ambien. Fortunately, I have never had any problems with Ambien. My former doctor had a lady who slept with her baby in her bed - which you’re not supposed to do anyway - then took Ambien and rolled over and smashed the baby, suffocating it without her even knowing it until the morning. My doctor was sued for negligence. In my mind, the woman was the negligent one for having the baby in the bed with her in the first place. Needless to say, he was loathe to prescribe Ambien to anyone so I changed to a new doctor (actually she has a Doctorate of Nursing, and nurses are nicer) who I really love and helps me out, for the most part.

As for CBT, I say do it, it’s easy, no big deal. They mostly assign you reading material and a couple of sleep studies. You will learn some things from their handouts; I did. But it was no cure. Honestly, I think before spending the money on CBT, though, I’d buy yourself a famous sleep aid book, read it carefully and apply the suggestions diligently. If that doesn’t help you, then try the professionals. I didn’t learn that much from them that I hadn’t already read in a book.

FYI, ADDs sleep easily, but us physically restless, very busy ADHDs do not. Be forewarned that those who teach CBT usually can’t remotely fathom that somebody has a problem getting to sleep every single night. They likely will not believe you about your stories of insomnia and will argue with you that you are mistaken and only imagine it. I had to get the testimonies from my previous romantic partners who absolutely witnessed me having sweet problems Every. Single Night. That is my very least favorite thing about CBT (and the general public, the vast majority of whom sleep just great) - they just won’t believe you when you say all their suggestions, including Melatonin, just don’t work. I would give anything to have a doctor or a nurse who has the same kind of insomnia I do.

The book “The Sleep Solution” from 2018 is currently considered the best. I also found some simple tricks I didn’t find anywhere else in “Midnight Mind,” a simple, short, easy read.

An ADHD tip that I don’t think would work for a non-ADHD is that I’ve accidentally found some puzzles like word search or Suduko can put me to sleep. But they have to be puzzles I don’t really care about - like a crossword doesn’t work, because I get too invested in getting them done that I get wide awake and intellectually overstimulated. Ditto with sewing. Reading helps, especially if it’s something like “National Geographic” that takes my brain to a totally different place with totally different problems.

Two years ago, I was accidentally given a TV for my bedroom - long story. Before then, I had hardly watched any television in my entire lifetime (I see movies in theaters), and my TV was always in my living room, as it was at my parents’ house. I have since discovered that watching TV in bed actually helps me fall asleep, despite the blue light pollution - because it takes my mind away - as long as it’s not too interesting nor too violent. I just have to make sure I set a timer for it to go off. Animal and nature shows have soothing voices without shouting or gunshot, that is usually my go to style of sleepy time programming.

Same thing goes for reading material - it can’t be too interesting, or I won’t fall asleep.

I hope some of these suggestions help you. Having nocturnal enuresis, I also try not to drink any fluids (including soup, yogurt, ice cream, etc.) after 6:00 p.m. Every time I wake up to pee is a renewed battle against insomnia to get back to sleep.

Oh yeah, I wear Mack’s earplugs - the thick rubber kind made for underwater swimming - to keep away outside noises. Unfortunately I no longer hear thunderstorms, but I don’t hear traffic, either!

@snow

Very well written!

I have similar experiences to yours. I have to be careful about what I watch or read.

I have anxiety/depression problems that are aggravated by insomnia. On top of that, I have sleep apnea. So, every time I wake up from pain, enuresis, or whatever, I have to remove all that gear and put everything back on.

I also have "Restless Legs Syndrome" (RLS) and "Periodic Limb Movement Disorder" (PLMD). Thanks be to God, the pain meds that I take actually mitigate those attacks. I am one of those that feel no side effects from pain meds. It is really disturbing to hear about people dying from this really effective RLS med. My pain doctor has been very good to me over the past 20 years. He knows that I don't abuse them, and I know he has government regulations breathing down his neck. So, we cooperate to deal with everything.

Often, I will get drowsy in the early evening and start yawning and even fall asleep while reading my Bible. The aggravating part is that I know that by the time I get all my sleep gear on and the bedroom prepared that I won't be able to get to sleep.

I have another "crutch" that helps. I have weird blood pressure problems. It is usually normal in the morning, but starting in the afternoon it begins to rise. I take very small doses of Clonidine to slap it down, but it can knock me out too. So, I can use it to help me get to sleep. The problem is that it is not actually sleep, but it can help.

I woke up the first time today at 8:30 am after going to bed at 4:30 am ended up back asleep by around 7 am and then waking up again at 12:30 pm Now I just got back up a bit ago and I am going to work on file management on my PC and play some Call of Duty.

I have chronic insomnia. For one thing, have to get up to pee 3-5 times a night. Have to take evening meds with a bottle of water (16.9 oz). Take about 4 things for sleep: Valerian Root, Trazadone, Dr. Mercola's Sleep Support, Swansons CBD Oil Sleep Support. Between the Mercola & Swansons products, there's 3 mg. of Melatonin. Swansons was out of CBD Oil Sleep Support when I went to reorder it, so ordered 5-HTP, 500 mg. instead. That's supposed to be good for sleep too. I'm Bipolar I with Psychosis. My brain is always pinging, despite the meds I take. I take Lamictal as a mood stabilizer at night. Trazadone is an anti-depresssant with the side effect of making you sleepy. I have a TV in my bedroom. I find that if I watch TV, it makes me sleepy & I fall asleep while watching it. I know this is the opposite of what the experts say: Don't watch TV before bed.

Pegasi99 = True, but if you have a SMART TV you can set a timer for it to go off after 30 minutes or whatever you choose. If not, I don't know for sure about this, but there are timer devices that you can plug in to a lamp and set it to go on and off at certain times and maybe that would work for your TV too. I have used them for times when I've gone out of town for a few days.

You might think about keeping a diary for each day to see if there is a pattern of any kind, with your nightly forays into the bathroom: time you go to bed, time you wake up for the day, liquid intake throughout the day, caffeine, carbonated beverages, spicy food, stress. You might try daily 15 minutes meditations to calm your brain.

I keep three children's books of poems and a special rhyming story about a little girl's night experience in a nightstand drawer by my bed, so that when I'm feeling especially stressed at night I can read them silently and be calmed.

You might talk with your doctor and see about getting rid of some of the OTC? supplements you're taking and try putting them back one by one if needed. I'm no doctor but I try to figure out what sounds reasonable and think about it. Getting up 3-5 times a night will increase your B/P keeping you from getting the (at least) 4 hours straight sleep that your body needs, and that can certainly affect you in many ways.

@pegasi99 I feel the same way about the TV at bedtime as you do : it helps.

@ritanofsinger Yes, I use the timer on my TV for sleep.