Incontinent pants at the doctor

Archives1

Staff member
I am having a renal & bladder ultrasound in a few weeks. I am supposed to drink 32 oz of water and hold my bladder for hour and half.Im worried I wont be able to hold it.I have only worn incontinence pants to places that I know a bathroom will not be near. Ive kept that secret from everyone in my life. Im thinking about wearing to this appointment though.Im at the beginning stages and have not bern diagnosed with anything, so I dont even know if my problem is physical.If i had a diagnosis it would be easier.Did anyone ever wear in the begining?

I recommend going to any grocery store and buying a Depends Night Defense pull-up. I don’t think the pants by themselves will provide enough protection.

Others on this forum have had to have that evil test. I could never do it; it’s not even my choice! If I drink 12 oz., I have to pee - like with spasms and leaks and everything - every 5-20 minutes. There is No! Way! I could hold 32 oz. for any amount of time, let alone 1.5 hours. That test just isn’t realistic for some of us. I would fill two diapers just trying, then they wouldn’t even be able to the test.

Perhaps you can practice in advance at home, to know what to expect? I wish you the best with your exam. Please let us know how it goes!

Maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe a bladder-retention medication just for the day of the exam, so you can hold the 32 oz. for that long? I’ve taken every one of the incontinence medications and none of them would be able to keep me full of 32oz. for 1.5 hours!

For a 1-time use, Ditropan (Oxybutynin) would probably work the most immediately to help with your dilemma. It begins working about 30 minutes after you take it.

Voice your concerns to the medical people. They have experience with it all and can be helpful. 32 oz seems like a lot. During prostate cancer radiation I had to drink 24 oz each day an hour before before radiation to insure a full bladder. It is doable. Sometimes if there was a delay in treatment I had to let some urine out. If I had to let it all out, I just drank another bottle of water. The medical team was very understanding. I urge you to be very upfront with them and let them know your concerns.

I have worn some type of protection to medical appointments for years. At first, it was only a pull up. Since my prostatectomy, and now with heart failure I wear tape on diapers all the time. My cardiologist recommends that I drink 4 liters of water per day. You can imagine what that does for my incontinence. At first, I was very anxious and nervous having anyone see me in a diaper. there have been times in the past where I thought, maybe I can go unprotected. But then, I thought why take a chance. It still is somewhat nerve racking, but over time not so much. It takes time, but one does get used to it. Medical personnel have seen about everything. Once they know your history, it's no big deal. Good luck.

I would wear a pad if I were you. It will collect all the leaks if you have incontinence. I have worn pads to the doctors before and they will not bat an eye lid. Don't be shy, just be you and don't worry. I am sure there will be toilets there that you can use after.

I may be misreading your concern here but...if you are concerned about the reaction you may receive from medical staff because you are wearing protection I would offer "don't be".
I wear pullups during the day always. I have never had a staff member of any urology center, or urology based testing canter say anything or make fun of me for needing a "diaper". Now maybe they had a good laugh after I left (I doubt it) but what do I care.
One time I remember a DR asked if I wear protection all the time.
I go there because I have urinary issues. If everything worked the way it was supposed to I wouldn't need to be there. I doubt its a surprise to them to see a diaper.
As far as not being able to hold it. That is a tough one. I have a hard time "timing" full bladder tests also. Couple of things you can try. (1) if you are there and have to go maybe they can bump you in earlier. (2) if you cannot hold it and they cant bump you. Go. You just have to wait until your full again. (3) If you are in the scan and know you cant hold it tell them you are going to have to go. Maybe they can speed along and get the "photos" they need quicker or maybe the testing is over.
Not sure about the renal untrasound never had one but the bladder scans I've had I only had to open my pants she moved them and my pullup out of the way where she needed to be. I did not have to take my clothes off.
Had many bladder ultrasounds done over the years and unless the staff is really good at hiding their expressions I dont ever remember a hesitation when they saw my pullup, they just move along with the job at hand.
I will note I do change before going to them so my pullup is "clean"

@Bfuhrman Express your concern to the medical staff. I carry a backpack with pullups, pads, and extra pair of pants.

@Damp It is so good to hear someone else's doctor state to drink 4 liters / 4 quarts per day. Others had posted that I was drinking too much water.

If you could hold 32 0z for 90 minutes you wouldn't need to do the test. What are these doctors thinking?

@thudson1965 Four liters is very unusual, unlesss you have a heart condition as Damp stated he does. You should only drink more than two liters if your doctor tells you to. Hyponatremia is unfortunately very real. One of my friends died from it when we were in our 20s.

Wearing "incontinence pants" to you appointment is an excellent idea. Doctors and health care workers interact with patients who have various levels of incontinence daily. You are going to a Urologist and much of their speciality focuses on conditions that can cause incontinence. Think of it this way, being protected from inadvertent
leaks is much better than have wet clothing in a waiting or exam room. Take a extra pair to change into after the procedure if you do have some leakage.

Somple. Ask the doctors NURSE what to do, not front staff. Im sure with being a renal office they have dealt with this plenty and have a solution. Dont fret, call

Hi @Bfuhrman, If I were you I'd definitely wear something! There have been some great suggestions up above so you can have your choice. But you know your own body and by wearing something you are responding to its needs. And since the renal and bladder ultrasound people see their patients wearing protection all the time, to them it's just another day at the office. So please don't sweat it. Your comfort comes first! And if it were me I would call the office and just tell them my concerns about trying to hold 32 ounces (four cups of water) for 90 minutes. I'm sure I couldn't do it, particularly if it's going to be cold out that day and the clinic will probably have its A/C on as they always do, regardless of the weather.
One other thing. Try to go to the clinic wearing a "fresh" pull-up and take another with you to change into when the test is done. And yet another thing! Good luck and don't hesitate to ask the staff questions or voice your concerns!

snow said:
Maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe a bladder-retention medication just for the day of the exam, so you can hold the 32 oz. for that long? I’ve taken every one of the incontinence medications and none of them would be able to keep me full of 32oz. for 1.5 hours!

For a 1-time use, Ditropan (Oxybutynin) would probably work the most immediately to help with your dilemma. It begins working about 30 minutes after you take it.

Most of those medications take a few days to a few weeks to start to be effective.

Dr's don't care and have seen everything. As mentioned, change right before your appointment so you're as dry as possible. Don't make it weird! lol

Thank you all I'm less stressed about it.it It was a weird situation for me.I first went to ER for a kidney stone. It blocked my kidney and may have caused kidney damage,so that is the reason for renal.

I mentioned in passing having to go all the time but the focus was the kidney stone. I went to surgery quick it was unsuccessful. I had to have a stent for 7 weeks, I did have a few accidents at home.The stent was debilitating and raised the urgency.I have advanced Anklylosing spondalitis and newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Which could be a culprit.

I've only recently decided I need to bite the bullet, I've been hiding a long time. So I have not been able to talk with them in depth but I will. You all have helped immensely.

Wonderful suggestions, everyone! I especially like the idea of practicing at home beforehand so you will have an idea of what to expect.

@snow I am sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for the article.

For liquid intake, I have cut down from 5 quarts a day to 4 quarts a day. I have a good diet that supplies the other nutrients.

I had heart stents in 2010 and a kidney stone in 2016.

When I recently cut back to near 3 quarts, I found that my urine was so concentrated that it burned. Going back to 4 quarts is right for me.

Agreed with everybody and like everyone has said the docs have seen it all before. You know your body the best and if 90 oz is too much for 90 minutes. Maybe lower it down to what you think you can manage without to much stress. This is a medical activity trying to get answers from your body. It’s not a stress test to see if you will pass lol. Don’t be too hard on yourself as we are all our own worse enemies. Give yourself a break and accept help if you need it. If it’s protection so be it. Honestly no one really cares that’s just our mind playing tricks on us.

Be kind to yourself and don’t fret. Hopefully you get some useful answers afterwards.