Incontinence almost gone after pelvic radiation treatments

Archives1

Staff member
Had radical prostate surgery 2 years ago. My incontinence after surgery never fully cleared up. Was still using 3 to 4 pads daily. Just completed my 39 treatments of radiation to my pelvic area since my PSA was starting to trend up a little. Odd thing however, is that my incontinence is almost gone. I hardly ever need a pad anymore. I use one “just in case”. Maybe a few drops a day.
Don’t know what to make of this ?? Radiation is I am told likely to make incontinence worse, but mine cleared up. I’m baffled.

@Denardis The same thing happened to me during and immediately after radiation therapy. Sadly, the further out I get from treatment, the more the incontinence returns. My incontinence is mostly at night while I sleep, and I had completely stopped wearing diapers and using bed pads. Now, I am sometimes so wet at night, it wakes me up and I have to clean myself and change. I hope your incontinence stays away, but I doubt it will. Don't throw away those diapers yet!

Hi Joel
Appears your prediction my incontinence may return is going that way. 20 days out after radiation and it’s coming back☹️. Back to 2 or 3 pads daily (darn). Sort of figured it was too good to be true, but still hoped.

@Denardis Ugh...I'm so sorry to hear that. I had hoped I was wrong in your case. I just had a bad night last night. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to clean myself and change. It seems to happen about once a week, usually at the end of my work week. I'm guessing fatigue has something to do with it. Well, Denardis, we'll just keep our chin up and remain grateful for all the wonderful things we have going for us :)