Incontinence Advocates

Archives1

Staff member
I was reading the post "Appeal for help," and a question rose to mind. Is there anyone out there advocating or fighting for those of us with Incontinence. Perfect example is Insurance companies. They will pay for medicine, but not diapers, even though the medicine would cost much more per year, then diapers. Or with medicaid/ medicare, only providing cheap diapers even though more expensive premium diapers work better and are cost effective in the long run. Or like in the fore mentioned post, access to alternatives systems. I was wondering if there is anything out there fighting for people with Incontinence.

I am on both Medicare and Wisconsin Medicaid and I receive diapers through Medicaid the current provider started providing Attends Poly Briefs as I have had many issues using cloth-like covered diapers it took a letter of medical necessity and Medicaid approval to have Abena Abriform L4's covered which is the current diaper I am using

That is exactly what i am talking about. Why do people have to go through so many steps, and so many documents, not to mention the stress to get approved for what we already know works.

Hi @Mightychi, that would make sense since Medicare recipients get free flu shots under that insurance plan because it is way cheaper to pay for preventive measures (those being shots) than if someone gets sick and insurance then has to pay for doctors visits, hospital care and multiple meds since getting the flu has the possibility of a built-in trip to the hospital! Sooooo diapers would be much cheaper than certain types of medication!!! And to get diapers you don't need an appointment or to waste your time waiting in the doctor's office just to see the doctor for a few minutes!

You would think insurance would cover incontinence supplies under any medical plan. They think that since most are disposable and you can buy them at stores or online that it easier for someone to do thst than wait for approval through insurance. I would rather wait for insurance to pay for them and send them too me rather then me go out to store or online to get them.

In the USA, your best advocate is yourself. Our entire healthcare system needs to be re-invented from the ground up - not just how we deliver or pay for it, but how we define it. Until there is massive cultural change, I don’t see that ever happening.

Advocacy starts with oneself without a doubt. A lot of change, tends to come from special interests groups whom are able to advocate for a whole group of individuals. To me that feels like it is missing for incontinence. I know there are disability advocates, but their time is spent on other more pressing issues. That is what i was wondering if there were any people or groups out their advocating specifically for our needs. If not, maybe it is time to start one.