In continent product post prostate surgery

Archives1

Staff member
After catheter is removed what is the best type of product to use for what I assume will be a heavy flow

Which "diaper" or pads, and evaluation of brands for different uses, and where to get them, and the cost, not only have their own threads, but are a topic in many many other threads, current and older. There is even a thread asking if incontinence products are tax deductible. It's sort of unusual to even meet the IRS thresh-hold for medical expenses, but if you do and if you save receipts, then it is worth asking the IRS. The cost of them add up over a year. The best for heavy problems seem to be mail order only (Northshore), sometimes. You can get samples, too.
Good luck. Some people don't have much of a problem after surgery, some do but it tapers off. Be a boy scout and be prepared.
Stay safe
God Bless

Something I am writing for others:

One patient’s story – Every patient is different.
Some men may use 4 pads a day and some may use 20 pads a day. Start with pull-ups. My experience is more on the high side because I have other medical conditions and drink 4 quarts of liquid consisting mainly of water. My Urologist measures improvement week to week, not day by day. Week 1 – Catheter; end of Week 2 – 12 pull-ups in 24 hours (including 2 at night); end of Week 3 – 9 pull-ups; end of Week 4 – down to 5 pull-ups. I send my Urologist a message through the patient portal – yes I have improved week to week just like you told me. While they tell us not to get discouraged, they do not tell us what to expect. This is major surgery! Some men regain control in 6 weeks, some of us take longer. Initial usage of pads and pull-ups is not an indication on how things will be. We are all different and need not measure our success by others. Measuring week to week progress will bring encouragement.
Things that I learned
• Only have out a day’s worth of supplies – you can replenish in the morning and at night with a couple of extra. I like having everything out, but piles of pads or pull-ups is not good, just a stack of 5 is great.
• I bought two waterproof bed pads which I placed over my fitted sheet and added a folded towel on top. Remember this is short term, don’t over spend (I did). At this writing, I have had to wash the towel 4 times. I am a restless sleeper.
• Contain the smell of urine – I found large dog waste bags (about 8 by 12 inches) ideal for a used pull-up and tying it off. Note week 2 and 3, I just used a grocery bag and placed it in outside trash 3 times a day. By week 4, my usage had decrease to 5 pull-ups in 24 hours and the urine smell was strong enough that the dog waste bags were great. I still placed the tied individual bags into a grocery or small 4 gallon trash bag which every morning I placed in outside trash. Back to having just enough, but not too much. The dog waste bags come in rolls of 15. The roll is about 2 inches long and an inch in diameter.
• I washed my hands a lot. I put Moisturizing body wash in my soap dispenser. I used both Dove and Suave – just keep it simple and moisturizing.

Outings
• I wear cargo pants so I am able to place 2 pads and 2 dog waste bags in a cargo pocket. I have the freedom to go shopping and change a pad out as needed.
• My first major medical outing at week 5 was to my Retina doctor that required me to sit in 4 different chairs (waiting room, eye exam room, eye dilation waiting area, and exam room) over a 2 hour time period. I wore 2 pull-ups and a pad. After the 45 minute drive, I removed the pad (placing it in a dog waste bag in the restroom). After the 2 hours and 4 chairs office visit, I removed the inner pull-up (I used scissors to cut the sides and pull off the pull-up so that I did not need to take off my shoes and pants in the public restroom) and placed a fresh pad inside the second pull-up. I went grocery shopping before returning home. The second pull-up was still fresh when I went for my 30-minute (1.5 mile) walk.

It is okay to be angry at Prostate Cancer
• It is okay to admit that you are angry. I wrote a draft email just to put my feelings in words. Feel the feeling and let it go. Talk to friends or online forums. Many people are feeling the same way. Talk to your medical team (Urologist, General Practitioner, etc). Week 2 was difficult for me and the feelings crept back in every so often – acknowledge the feeling and look forward to the day you will be continent. It may be 6 to 20 weeks; you will see the week to week improvements. Make and keep follow-up appointments.

Do your kegel (pelvic floor) exercise and if able, walk SLOWLY and increase by a quarter mile per week to 30 minutes before returning to work. On day 13, I sent a patient portal message about walking. Check with your Urologist and listen to your body. On day 14, I walked half a mile. I noticed toward the end that I was walking too fast and my body let me know it. I slowed my walking. In the first 8 weeks, the walk is not meant to be a form of exercise. The walk helps to get you moving, gently move the pelvic region, and improves your mental outlook by just being outside and doing something for your recovery.

You may think that you need a heavy incontinent product at night. I suggest only buying a small package to see if you like the product. I found that Depend products provided me the protection I needed for this 6 to 20 week journey. I found ordering online was great. I compared prices at Amazon, Walmart (best price for Depend Pads), and Costco (best price for Depend Pull-ups). Walmart also beat Amazon for dog waste bags and Depend Night Defense. The prices seemed to change daily. Try a small package to see if that works for you. At the grocery store, I bought the store brand 4 gallon trash bags and Suave moisturizing body wash to wash my hands.
Remember weeks 2 and 3 will have higher usage of products. Try to buy for a couple weeks ahead, but adjust your ordering. On day 9 post Prostatectomy, I had used my first 104 pads. I already had my second order 104, but placed another order 208 Depend Pads. After talking with my Urologist on Day 13, I stopped using a pad with the pull-ups and used the pull-ups (I basically had been wasting the pull-ups instead of letting the pull-up catch the liquid). The pull-ups are designed to hold more fluids. At day 41, I probably have enough pads and pull-ups to get me to day 180 which I am sure by then, I will be using them for a safety net.

Forums (Social outreach to others going through similar experiences)
https://www.nafc.org/ National Association for Continence – Create a user profile – You need a user profile to reach the forums.
o https://forum.nafc.org/ These are the user’s forums.
o To search the forums – Look for the magnifying glass / “search” icon and type “prostatectomy” or “incontinence” .

@thudson1965 :
Why do you recommend pull-ups rather than higher capacity tape-up diapers which would greatly reduce the number of changes required? I do agree that adding a pad to whatever protection you choose is a good idea.

@Padded53

Today November 12, 2020 - Prostatectomy Sept 24, 2020 (49 days / 7 weeks)
I date my post because I hate figuring out when a post was 7 months ago to see which of a person post came first.

Short answer - 75% of us (Prostatectomy) are moving toward being continent within 3 to 6 months and don't need or desire the higher capacity diapers. Acknowledgement - if someone with issues due to Prostatectomy comes to this forum, they are at week 4 to 8, are totally lost and unprepared like I was, or are having issues.

For most men after Prostatectomy, there is significate improvement in the 4 to 8 week range and they do not require higher capacity (My personal experience - at the end of week 2, I was using 12 pullups in 24 hours, now at the start of week 7, I am using 3 pullups a day and one Northshore Flex Supreme 38 ounce capacity pullup diaper at night). By week 13 (3 months) 75% of the men are hopefully down to using 3 to 5 pads a day. Incontinence after Prostatectomy is not meant to be long term (for some it is).

My urologist stated that 75% of his patients were dry by 6 months. I am assuming the last 3 months of that the men are using 2 to 4 pads a day. They may be working. They (we) want to keep the smell contained as well as keep our privates dry and rash free.

I have noticed in reading through previous threads that many prostatectomy recoverees pop into the forum around week 4 to 9 and are down to a few pads a day by week 15 to 20. I have personally posted on threads to ask if they would give an update. Some have, most have not.

I acknowledge for people after 6, 9, or 12 months where pads are not enough, that going to a stronger pullup diaper is a better option. If the person can not feel the need to pee, then a stronger pullup is better.

Some of it comes down to personal preference.

Terry

@thudson1965 Excellent, thorough post! I love it! And you’re right about the grieving process that cancer necessitates.

@Padded53 Get off your high horse about tape-on diapers. To each his own. I prefer pull-ups because tape-ups don’t fit in women’s pants. I also can’t stand how sweaty tape-ups are. And I don’t enjoy sitting around all day in a wet tape-up, getting a rash. I’m not so lazy I can’t change a pull-up immediately after it’s wet. If you aren’t familiar with the benefits of pull-ups, then you clearly haven’t tried them thoroughly.

@thudson1965:
Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer. As I may well be facing prostate surgery in the not too distant future I was interested to know if there was something I didn't understand as to why pull-ups seemed to be the preferred method of protection for so many after surgery. I thought it might have had to do with the risk of infection but apparently that's not an issue as I hadn't seen that mentioned in some of the other threads.

@snow:
No "High Horse" involved here, just seemed like a very legitimate question to help me understand something that I may be facing in the near future. I suspect your comment comes from the fact that I've asked essentially the same thing in several other threads but in fact I haven't received a good answer to my question. When I saw that these guys that were new to incontinence were lamenting about multiple changes and leaks I thought that they probably didn't know about the possible benefits of better quality protection, why would they? Bottom line I was hoping to help them.
And as to your unfounded comment about not trying them throughly... During the first two years of "incontinence" my leakage was very slight and I used pads and pull-ups to control the leakage and I only needed a change or two a day, no problem. However when it got worse I got tired of having to completely disrobe to change many multiple times a day and having a lot of leaks, even when using the premium pull-ups such as Abena Abri-Flex, Molicare Mobile, and Northshore Go Supreme. I was very happy to have found out how much better tape-up diapers were for ME, but I do agree with you "to each his own". Not to mention I still use pull-ups for certain situations, they do have their uses for sure.
Finally, if you have an issue with one of my posts please use the private message function and I will be more than happy to discuss the problem with you. There's no need to put on your "moderators cap" in the open forum.

At least five other people have railed against pull-ups in the past 10 days, and someone does it every time the topic comes up of choices of protection. I’m fed up with it. I would never tell a tape-up person that they’re wrong and need to wear pull-ups, just because pull-ups work for me.

It surprises me how many men don’t figure out that you only need to remove one leg to change your underwear, not your entire outfit. I guess women learn to do that at a young age because we have to do it with menstruation leaks. If you don’t understand, put a pull-up and pants and shoes on. Remove one leg of pants and shoe, then pull the pull-up all the way off the other leg over the pant snd shoe. Easy, even when it’s soaked. Slip on shoes work awesome for this and look best anyway.

I learned from @snow how she makes her bed for a week with 7 layers.

I applied the same principle to my pullups, I wore two pullups and used scissors to cut the inner pullup out when needed. This can be expanded as needed.

This is beneficial for long doctors appointments (my case - over 2 hours and sitting and standing multiple times) or work or play or shopping.

@Padded53 - I realized that you have asked this question a few times before. As a new member, I was waiting for someone with more tenure here to answer.

I am reminded in College, a few friends use sign language. I kept asking what a sign meant, they kept saying "why" in asperation I finally said, I just really want to know. Then they side "The sign means why". A clear stated answer rather than a simple misinterpreted short answer.