How many people have had this their whole life?

Archives1

Staff member
I've just joined and curious in knowing how many people have had this condition all their life. Ive just turned 30 an I can honestly say ive never met anyone before nor known of someone. Cheers

Not all my life but I was a chronic nightly bedwetter growing upand was seldom dry at night until my late teens and continued to wet often until my early 20's. I often wet during the day too until I was about 10 or 11. Despite numerous visits to the Doctor no reason was ever found.
Even through my adult life I have had episodes of bedwetting and then in my late 40's my continence problems started.
I have been in nappies 24/7 since I turned 50.

Not my whole life, but close to 50 years. Mine started shortly after puberty, and has gradually gotten worse through the years. I had a prostatectomy combined with the removal of a large bladder diverticula which has exacerbated my incontinence. Now, with heart failure which has added to the problem. At first, I didn't wear any kind of product, but as I aged I found it necessary. I now wear a cloth diaper at night, and a tape on disposable diaper during the day. It's all in getting use to a new normal as one ages.

I was a bedwetter at a young age, I was sickly so then it was all part of that.I have had to use a special pants all my life. I have had retention issues that became much worse 11 years ago, today my Urologist calls it lifelong, and or permanent.

Mine never really stopped 100%. Chronic until I was about 18, then sporadic for several years. Came back with a vengeance when I was around 35. I am now 70.

I had problems when growing up last wet at13yrs then lucky to be dry for several yrs.Then when I married the 2nd a few yrs into it my incontinence came back was a blow.Ther was no option as my wife and I discussed it been to dr's been in diapers for over 30yrs.

Hey Laurie, all different plumbing design, but after my radical prostectomy, I was waking up soaking wet every night. My wife told me to start taking the Prosta Genix pills I was taking BEFORE my radical to not be awakened by a needed trip to the bathroom. The Prosta Genix worked for the previous condition, and worked for the post condition, with no side effects. I am getting better and better control each week post surgury, and I can assure you that getting a good nights sleep doesn't hurt the healing process. My wife takes the prosta Genix too. and she didn't even have a prostate in the first place....

I was a bedwetter until I was almost 15 yrs old.... Then I was dry thru my 20's, into my mid 30's. I started bedwetting again, rarely, (Like 1 -2 times a year.) in my late 30's. It has progressed in frequency, to where I now wet the bed every night again, in my early 60's. I went back to night diapers a few years ago, when it became a weekly thing. Also have urge incontinence now, so I'm usually diapered in the daytime too.

I’ve had urinary incontinence problems for many years, but not quite all my life. When I was 14 years old, I experienced a series of medical mishaps that seriously compromised my bladder control; and I’ve never been reliably dry at night since that time. At first, I was incontinent and had to wear a diaper 24/7. But I was a fanatic about doing what nowadays are called Kegel exercises and got to the point where I could usually go without a daytime diaper by the time I went to university. Things went on like that until I was in my mid-forties, at which time my daytime control decreased to the point where I had to go back to wearing a diaper 24/7; and things have remained like that ever since then. I’m now 78.

Bladder problems have always been a thing on my Mothers side of the family. My Mother was a bedwetter until her late teens and both My Grandmother and my Mother were incontinent as they got older. I had an Uncle who wet his bed his whole life.
I guess I inherited the family trait.

@Laurie I was born with kidney and bladder problems. These continued throughout primary school. I wet myself most days and generally had a tough time. Things improved in secondary school and university, although I often had painful retention. Mid 20's I got prostatitis for the first time. This caused all the kidney and bladder problems to return. Everything got worse after a TURP and bladder neck surgery in my early 50's. So in answer to your question, apart from 11-24, the answer is yes. Cheers Phil

Hello, I have struggled with this my whole life and it has affected me in every way possible. Clocking 31 in some months, single and no child. I don't sleep out, sleep late and generally have to make decisions based on this "condition". I visited a doctor concerning this (first time in my life) last month and was prescribed amphytralline or so which has worked so far (no accident for a month). Went in for a consultation today with an urologist and was told to change to imipramine. I came home crying cause the doctor said there was no cure but the symptoms could be treated (which is so devastating). The stigma is worse in this part of the world as some might even think it's an affliction from a wicked/evil friend or foe. Joining this group today has really helped me come to terms with some things. Knowing I'm not alone is not only a huge relief but also helps to see some things and probably make suggestions to the doctor on my next appointment.

@Matilda we are so happy you found us, yes, alot of us might have what you have. Please when you are ready, ask questions, or please offer us advise. You are important to us. We are happy you are with us.

Hi @Matilda, And welcome to the forum! You are definitely not alone and by the time you go to your next doctor's appointment, I think you will have picked up enough information from everyone to be able to make good suggestions to your doctor. That's because you will be informed about your circumstances and will be able to address it intelligently and give the impression you know what you are talking about! So I, along with everyone else here, am glad you found us and wanted to join. Although there are a lot of members from the United States, this forum is truly international and members from all over the world provide valuable insight since incontinence does not stop at international boundaries. It's something that happens universally and we all have our ways of coping and various stories that tell of our experiences.
But please don't be misled by any stigma! Those who think this is an affliction that comes from someone wicked or evil is sadly misinformed and you are not misinformed by any stretch of the imagination!!!
And you can stay in touch with any of us at any time! We are open 24/7 whenever you want to reach out!!!! So, I hope you pick up a lot of good information and will be able to make friends here! This is a very non-judgmental forum and everyone here is ready to help you and discuss whatever is on your mind.

I've been a bedwetter my whole life too I wear molicare slip maxi at night and now wear Tena slip Ultima active fit during the day

@Laurie As to your question it is a bit vague, are you talking incontinence or bedwetting or both?

As my reply I can talk of my bedwetting as I do not have 'day' issues. My bedwetting started when I was a teen. It was so infrequent that I didn't even consider it an issue until my 20's when I realized I was still having these random incidents of peeing my bed.

It is stil an occasional situation but happens. Not sure this helps but that is my condensed story.

JT

Another lifer here - regular daytime accidents until my late teens and bedwetting until my mid-teens. Whilst the daytime issues lessened in my early twenties, I still suffered with bad after-dribble and some urge issues and then in my mid-20s IBS started being a big issue. Following Covid last year, I developed long-Covid and this made my bladder issues worse. Following a suspected second bout I pretty much became totally bladder incontinent. I had my first dose of the vaccine and the bladder issues have slightly improved but still really bad. Turning 30 next month.

Wearing protection has helped me get on with life but still get quite self-conscious about it now and again.