How do you handle smaller bladder capacity?

Archives1

Staff member
how do you handle having a smaller bladder capacity ? I keep having issues at work even without drinking caffeine. Not really worried about the why, moreso managing it.

If its just pressure, try to take frequent breaks and maybe talk to your manager or HR rep about a reasonable accommodation. So long as you can fulfil your job duties they have to make accommodations. You'll see things like special chair add ons for back issues or bigger mice for carpel tunnel, but bladder problems are no exception. They have to make it work as long as you are doing the job in good faith.

If its leaks wear the needed protection and do the same steps as above and if appropriate ask for a place to discreetly change a diaper if required.

Edit. Talk to a doctor too. A supportive doc willing to document the need makes the orocess way easier.

Pads, more frequent trips to the bathroom, and staying dehydrated (which is bad for the rest of the body, but doesn’t aggravate my bladder).

A small bladder in itself is nothing bad (except that you have to go to the bathroom more often). However, an important question is whether it has always been so small. If this is not the case - i.e. genetic factors are excluded - it might be a good idea to think about why it has become smaller. Basically, the bladder is a muscle that can be trained like any other muscle. You train it by trying not to give in to the urge to go to the bathroom right away, but to endure it and then maybe go to the bathroom 15 minutes later. A micturition protocol can be very helpful here. If you write down when and how much you drank and when you go to the toilet, you get a good overview of how the intervals are. The aim of the training is to increase the intervals.

This can be done on the one hand by spreading the amount of drinking over the day and on the other hand by trying to keep it longer. More over Kegels can help to improve the strength your sphincter that have to keep up with the bladder pressure at the end. A good aid gives you security during training if it has not worked out.

I think one mistake that many make is that they give up at some point and say to themselves - ok now it just happened, it doesn't matter anyway - let it go and then reach for a thicker pad or diaper. This actually leads to a vicious circle in the end, because the less you train the bladder muscle, the weaker it becomes. As a result, the bladder can shrink even more and, if things go really badly, lose its ability to contract. In this case, the only solution is ISC or a permanent catheter which is the worst solution because it poses a high risk of infection.

And one more think - in any case it is a really bad idea to stay dehydrated - this will cause many other problems und can be pretty dangerous. More over this causes even more urge problems because of the concentrated urin.

I am going to do an experiment at this point due to the lack of signal to the brain, its usually smaller more frequent bladder leaks. I could opt to put a timer on my phone like they do during potty training, or rather try to go at a set time. I know the bladder is going to spasm and do whatever it wants either way, but hopefully that will keep leaks less bad for awhile. Thank you for your input everyone so far!

@MichaelDahlke Bladder training doesn’t work for most of us; that would be a farrrrrr better and nicer solution than the diapers most of us here have to wear. Also, I don’t have a small or weak bladder, but I still have incontinence because of my lumbar spine injury.

I tend to plan my fluid intake so that it corresponds with meal times to try to avoid any drama - 500ml at breakfast, 500ml at lunch, 500ml at dinner and then 500ml in the evening but some time before bed. That way I stay hydrated and I'll leak when I should be free to change so 'accidents' are somewhat predictable. I also try not to drink during events or when travelling.

That said, it's easier said that done, especially during exercise and in the warm weather. In the post Long Covid era I get dehydrated a lot quicker and can't seem to hold onto fluid (recently found out about Diabetes insipidus and sounds a lot like what's going on post-Covid for me) so ultimately it's just a question of wearing nappies 24/7. Been feeling really down about how many I've got through in the hot weather and how much they're costing me. Wish I could go back to the pre-Long Covid era where around the house I could use thin, cloth backed products which are significantly cheaper. I also do underhydrate even though I know it's bad for you.

Been referred to a Long Covid clinic so hoping I get some answers. Urology referral seems dead in the water but considering the bladder and bowel issues have worsened after Covid, hoping that'll come under their remit.

@Snow:

I know what you mean, and of course it depends on the cause. If the nerves are the problem, there's not much you can do about it except be glad it's still running at all and not have to do ISC. I have several problems with my bladder: a damaged bladder wall, damaged bladder nerves, and over time it has shrunk even more. So I am very afraid that I might end up with ISC at some point as well.
In the beginning, I tried a lot with exercise. This was possible because I was taking painkillers as well as spasmolytics. In fact, exercise helped to the point where I now have one or two accidents a day, not 20. In the meantime, I had stopped the meds for various reasons and at least had the permanent pain from the IC somewhat under control with a change in diet. Unfortunately, the incontinence has not disappeared because the nerve problem is still there and I still notice too late that the bladder is full - and when it does then it still hurts badly and I lose almost the entire bladder contents during the bladder spasm. Because of the pain this causes, I could no longer exercise properly.

For two months now I've been getting Gepal instillations and at the moment I'm pretty excited about how well they help with the pain. The bladder still cramps when it is too full but I have started Kegel training again. Time will tell if this is a successful approach because no one can say if the nerves in the bladder wall will regenerate, but I would consider it a success if I could prevent it from going right away. If this works I could use a urine bottle instead of a diaper at night. That would be quite a step forward for mine, because especially in the summer the diapers really annoy me.

Thank you all for your helpful answers! I appreciate the help from you here. I'm facing the reality that the nerves don't inform, like yesterday after a stressful chaotic day I went up the stairs at work, then down only to have the biggest leak of the day, which was probably a full bladder leak. Thankfully it was after work was closed, but I definitely need a better job. I will be glad when they give me answers, if they do, but if not these tips have helped. All 3 of you are welcome to chat with me sometime if you wish.

@Sci_Fi_Fan I am finding this to be true as well, during lunch or meals I tend to chug water fast to scarf down my meal at work, then end up having huge bladder leaks later because it all hits me at once. It is good advice to try and regulate if possible, not under-hydrate or over. I am thankful I can usually get away with 1 or 2 pullups currently, and feel pretty lucky I don't have to wear full on diapers because when I did, it was agony.

@MichaelDahlke I hope the instillation continue to work, and you end up needing less diapers.

@snow Thank you for your advice and also I am hoping you are feeling better about the possibility of knee surgery, if you opt for that.