How do you beat the heat during summer?

Archives1

Staff member
Many of us wear some type of protection all the time or just at night to make our incontinence manageable.
What do you do to stay cool during the summer months without destroying you skin?
What recommendations would you give to companies that make the products we use to get on with life?

yes the heat can be a real challenge especially when you wear plastic-backed diapers and or plastic pants when you think about it it is the same thing as wrapping yourself in a plastic bag even the supposed breathable diapers are basically a plastic bag they still have a plastic backing the just have a non woven material glued to the plastic to simulate cloth so the plastic and the padding will trap the heat so wearing diapers in the summertime does take a little strategy definitely use baby powder and since talcum powder is so controversial you might consider corn starch baby powder you might try to plan some diaper-free time perhaps even some time where you can go completely nacked to allow time for your skin to breathe this approach you might need to plan carefully so you're not making unwanted messes you might go naked and sit or lay on underpads keep your skin clean and use diaper rash cream to avoid rashes with a little planning and strategy you can survive summer heat

My worst time is on my way to work. No escaping the protective under wear then and of course being at work. I've been using the thinnest underwear I can find. (Most likely I'll be using it all the time) but in the summer it does help a bit. For me these work good for fecal and fair for urinary but I do get overheated all the time at work. The only thing I can do is frequent visits to the men's room and pull everything down and cool off. I sweat alot and it causes a bad mix. But that's the way it is. Fortunately it seems as if my incontinence is not as bad as many so really, the best I can do is hope it doesn't get worse.

consider yourself lucky that you can get by with protective underwear /pull-ups I require heavier protection and pull-ups just do not provide enough protection and I cannot use the cloth-like covered diapers or the so-called breathable diapers I have chafing and other comfort issues with those

etamilbus said:
My worst time is on my way to work. No escaping the protective under wear then and of course being at work. I've been using the thinnest underwear I can find. (Most likely I'll be using it all the time) but in the summer it does help a bit. For me these work good for fecal and fair for urinary but I do get overheated all the time at work. The only thing I can do is frequent visits to the men's room and pull everything down and cool off. I sweat alot and it causes a bad mix. But that's the way it is. Fortunately it seems as if my incontinence is not as bad as many so really, the best I can do is hope it doesn't get worse.

If you can plan some alone time to lie completely exposed to fresh air and sunlight on an absorbent pad through an open window that doesn't have visibility from your neighbors, lock your bedroom door it is the best thing to dry out. Aim a fan at the region too.
If nothing else lock yourself away and use a fan on the area.

I use the breathable cloth - like briefs and because I am not able to work full time, I just try to plan my days around the weather. It's a lot easier to manage the heat's affects after the sun has started to reside. Nothing is perfect, though. Some days are easier than others.

My sister was talking to me about this, and in fact, she will only use Desitan, and she does change me from time to time and will only use Desitan on me. My Dr. wants Vaseline used on me, so Caretaker uses that.
As my sister says just make sure when its warm like this always be proactive and use something.

Another thing my Dr. recommends for me when warm like this, is a Foley catheter and bed bag. It does give my skin a rest,, my spasms are better, as my bladder gets some time off also.

Boomer you are so correct I found that is allot more comfortable during the summer with a catheter. At least most of the skin gets a chance to breathe.

I found the catheter and flip flow valve from Bard (now BD) and a small pad in underwear works well. I absolutely love the duette Foley catheter. Using that and a Rusch belly bag or the bard flip flo valve has been a blessing. I don’t like the catheter all the time but sure cooler that a diaper when it’s 90+ degrees outside. I also like the new light supreme brief for day and Megamax at night from northshore. They both are comfortable (at least for me) and can hold allot. Was thinking about trying cloth to see how that goes with a pair of the Gary pants over them. Will figure that out. Don’t know who sells the cloth diapers or underwear. May have to start a new discussion for that.

it has a second protective balloon on the tip to protect the bladder from being damaged by suction of the mucosa into the eyelets of the cath. They are also silicone so not irritating. I love the design and the only time I even notice it is when I need to drain the urine bag. Much better for me at work