Home health aide

Archives1

Staff member
I been looking for an aide since middle of June,haven't gotten one yet. There's no aides in my area is in Albany NY. I am disable an have trouble with mombilty an incontinence. I use adult diapers 24/7. I have talk with my insurance and my doctors office I was told to hang in there and wait. What should I do???

Hi @MRjw48, I don't think that being told to just hang in there and wait is going to quite cut it for you!!! I know it wouldn't for me! Being proactive can be the way to go. To do that, contact your local hospitals and also the local extended care facilities and rehabilitation clinics and see if anybody in those places can help you locate an aide. Or maybe just go online and look for home health care agencies in your area. Getting recommendations from others for reliable aides is also good although you may not know of others in your area who use those services. But hopefully these are some ideas that may prove useful.

I apologize, I don’t have any easy answers for you. My wife works with mentally challenged and Alzheimer’s patients and they are only running at about 60% occupancy due to a massive global shortage of nurses and trained assistants due to her company’s refusal to lower care standards.
One of the largest hospital systems in the Raleigh area is currently over 1000 nurses short and when they tried to implement mandatory vaccines for all employees they found many more would quit before receiving the vaccine. Sadly I’m sure there are stories just like this everywhere across the country now.
Last year the Federal Government even lifted many of the prerequisites for an H1-b Visa, in order to bring in more trained nurses and still they expect to be 15 to 20% short on nurse staffing even with every current nursing school running at 110% over the next 20-25 years based on the aging population.
Sorry to say there are no easy answers to this problem, many states are giving tuition reimbursement, but at this point we’re far behind the curve.

I had an aide for 3 years and it was hell for the majority of the time. They were untrained, mean, late and just didn’t care. I had a couple that were ok but for the most part it was a bad experience. Then when the last one bailed because she said she was allergic to cats they haven’t been able to find one for me for over a month. I’ve been on my own relying on friends and others to help. I was told I can find my own aide like a friend or something I could go through the process of doing that so I’m trying to do that now. That’s always an option. Good luck.

You can get an aide through the Consumer Directed program. I have both an agency aide and a consumer directed aide. In the consumer directed program, you choose your aide. There are very few restrictions and it can be a family member or friend. Because you choose the person, they care about you and your needs. You choose them, supervise them and train them to do what you want how you want it. You have total control over scheduling. It’s a wonderful program. For several years I had a wonderful friend work for me, before she moved to CA (How dare she? I’m in NY - long commute). Now I have a 30 year friend working for me. The agency makes sure that she is ok to hire (no felonies, Sheriff’s/fingerprint, etc) and processes her paychecks. The issue with home health care agencies is that they don’t have enough aides. If you have someone in your life who will help, they can get paid for it. I use both programs because I’ve had the same amazing aide from the home health care agency for the last 14 years. My hours got increased and I wanted weekend hours, which the HHA couldn’t accommodate. Look to your local independent living center. If they don’t administrate they program, they will know who does. And I’m sure Albany has one! Good luck!

I live in Canada and I guess this is where all our money is going now. I have 3 aids Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 2 hours each day. I also am alone and have terrible incontinence. If I didn't have these workers
I don't think I could manage. They are a god send. I hope you can figure out how to get help. You need it!

One thing I can say about all of this, @Sprung87, I'm glad your wife's company won't lower its care standards. When that standards are lowered then the company is just giving up and compromising its principles. And that is something that no one can afford to happen no matter how bad the current nationwide and world situation is!!! There are no easy answers because things are at an ebb now and everybody is completely flummoxed by all of this folderol about covid, not wanting to work and adamantly not getting vaccines. The people who need help the most are not getting a fair shake!
And @LeeC, I have not heard of the Consumer Directed program. It sounds interesting and in these times we need more creative thinking like that!

The Consumer Directed program has been around First least 20 years. It seems to be getting more attention lately. The purpose, of course, is to give the consumer more control over their lives! It’s a great program, assuming you have someone who wants to work with you. A dear friend of mine is struggling because she doesn’t have family or healthy friends to hire.

Thanks to all for your cooperation. As for that other program I don't have any friends or family to help me out,that I trust or understand my needs and everyday issues. I live on disability and low income so I have to reley on my health insurance to find an adie for me. I might trie Medicaid office Tuesday see if they can help.

The Consumer directed program may have some people who are already aides through their agency who are looking for hours. I’m also on disability and Medicaid.

Yes I have look in to program, In NY you have to have a friends /family person or insurance co. find an adie for you. Iike I said I don't have any friends or family that have time to take care of me. They all work and live far away. Thanks all for your cooperation help. I will figure out something