Has your UI gotten worse over time?

Archives1

Staff member
Happy Monday everyone - I understand that there are many causes of UI for both men and women. - So maybe the question does it get worse, may not apply. For me I think my UI involved a couple of things. The first as a female just getting older, and having babies. (At one point Maymay and I were lamenting losing our once bladder of iron) Secondarily I ended up with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Urinary and/or fecal incontinence is a symptom. Having a shunt put in my head helped alot. Though my UI remains, and Depends pull ups are still my friend (Not great, but it is all I can afford) - the UI is much improved. I just wonder, will my UI get worse the older I get, or stay the same?

My UI worsened over the past two years.
Mostly at night and throughout the morning.

Having said that, it’s still up and down. Wet days, dry days. I,ve been UI for 25+ years.
As of lately, many daytimes have actually been better than in the past.
Today, I woke up dry, but my morning has been a real leaker🤪
I knew that I hadn’t drank as much water and liquids as I should’ve yesterday.

I notice many things that can add to my UI at times.
If I’m on certain medications, liquids more or less volume intake, caffeine, beer and carbonated beverages, lower back problems, prostate problems, working outside in colder temperatures, and even sitting or driving for longer periods of time.
These are just the simpler observations.
And maybe even aging.

I always have the various types of padded protection for the type of leaks or wetting that I’m experiencing that day, week or month.

Stay dry, active and fun.
Joe

Speaking of tweaking I have learned to cit ba k to one mug of coffee restrict milk or citrus and alcohol.
I think pel ic floor strengthening would help but don't for various reasons get to thay

My UI has gradually gotten worse over the past twenty or so years, but I still have the occasional day when one pad lasts all day.

My UI has improved dramatically over the past eight years I’ve had it because I committed to getting Botox injections quarterly. Maybe it’s also improved because I have spinal stenosis so my spine is self-fusing which may keep my nerves going to my bladder safer, but eventually my UI will probably get worse and I may eventually get fécal incontinence as well.

I’ve had ups and downs with incontinence. I’ve always been wet at night, though it slowed some in my preteens before becoming nightly in my teens. OAB has always been with me, but with the onset of diabetes, it became urge incontinence a few years ago. Not going to try to fix diabetic bladder dysfunction beyond slowing the progression with keeping my glucose levels in check.

I’m trending in the “getting worse with age” category. I’ve accepted it, and gotten on with life. I’m very active and otherwise lead a totally normal life. If this is the worst of my physical ailments, I’m a very blessed person.

Wish all the best in their respective journeys!

I am lucky. I've only had one UTI in my life, and that was back in 2007. It put me in the hospital for a few days. My not-so-lucky wife gets them often. So far no hospital stays for her

Artiejr. Maybe your wife would benefit from s product called D-Manose. It keeps bacteria from sticking to bladder causing UTI. You can get on Amazon. Of course use your own judgement and medical providers sdvice

@Maymay941 YES! YES! YES! Maymay. I have been using it for years. It is a simple sugar, safe for diabetics as I understand and you are correct. It keeps the bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall. You can goggle how to use it, but everyone has their own method. For me, I put 1tsp. in a small glass of water every hour until I start seeing an improvement in symptoms. Then I start extending the time between dosages as my symptoms improve. Even after I am pretty sure that I am fine, I will take a few more doses for a couple of days. The only reason I tried it was that we had no health insurance at the time, and I kept coming across it on UTI'S message boards. Of course don't disregard medical intervention as you certainly don't want it to progress to a kidney infection. - Pam

@artiejr Read my response to Maymay. My mother suffered for years with the merry go round of vaginal infections that went automatically into a bladder infection. The only thing she had were the sulpha horse pills that turned her pee and underwear orange. - Do check into D- Mannose powder for your wife. - Pam

Almost every time my wife takes an antibiotic, she gets a UTI. Fortunately, it's been at least a year since the last one.

artiejr-Your wife definitely should discuss this issue with her MD or a pharmacist, especially if she tries the suggestions above and they don’t work. Pathogens are traveling from somewhere else in her body to infect her urinary tract.

Whenever she gets an infection of some sort, and needs an antibiotic for it, she usually gets a UTI. So it's a visious circle. This has been an on going issue since she was in her teens. Now she's in her upper 60's.