Getting Interstim Test

Archives1

Staff member
Hey y'all HC back,

So im scheduled to get the interstim test done in June. Its a week long test. Judging by the pictures i see online; half of them look okay, the other half looks like your back has so much bruising. Does it hurt? What should i expect for the week? Am i going to have issues with controlling my bladder?

I'm off the Myrbrtriq and im back to getting the urge every 20-30 minutes. Thank God the bladder spasms that were continious are gone for the most part but im wandering if its going to get rid of that pressure sensation i always feel in my bladder.

Does ajybody have any recommendations or have been through it and can give some solid tips and info?

Thanks

Hey there- I was going to ask you most of the questions you've posed. May I ask what prompted the test?

Reoccurring Bladder Spasms; increased frequency and urge and medication not working. Possibly due to increased stress - however I've read that Myrbetriq has a tendency to stop working after a while. Not sure to be honest.

My urologist recommended this procedure as he said it doesn't have to be permanent - and it's better than botox for younger guys like myself.

Honeeecombs, I am 71 years of age. I have had BPH and OAB for many years. During those years I have tried most meds including Myrbetriq. My first urologist thought I should have an Interstim installed after a urodynamics test and other input. The initial Interstim test indicated the device would work for me. I had the permanent one installed about three years ago. It worked for a few months and then it became ineffective. I had the Medtronic rep. adjust it a couple of times, but then I gave up. My urgency and frequency were as bad as ever. I went to a new urologist who told me Interstim was his last choice to correct my situation. On March 4 he removed 65% of my prostate with the Green Light Laser Surgery. I am still recovering from that. He told me that if I still have OAB after I've healed from the surgery, he will work to get the Interstim to help with that. As far as pain, the initial test to see if Interstim works required my first urologist to have to probe my lower back until he found the nerve to connect the device to. I had total anesthesia for both procedures. The most pain I had was from the places where he probed to find the correct nerve. Sorry this is so long, but hope it has value to you.

fleemoore said:
Honeeecombs, I am 71 years of age. I have had BPH and OAB for many years. During those years I have tried most meds including Myrbetriq. My first urologist thought I should have an Interstim installed after a urodynamics test and other input. The initial Interstim test indicated the device would work for me. I had the permanent one installed about three years ago. It worked for a few months and then it became ineffective. I had the Medtronic rep. adjust it a couple of times, but then I gave up. My urgency and frequency were as bad as ever. I went to a new urologist who told me Interstim was his last choice to correct my situation. On March 4 he removed 65% of my prostate with the Green Light Laser Surgery. I am still recovering from that. He told me that if I still have OAB after I've healed from the surgery, he will work to get the Interstim to help with that. As far as pain, the initial test to see if Interstim works required my first urologist to have to probe my lower back until he found the nerve to connect the device to. I had total anesthesia for both procedures. The most pain I had was from the places where he probed to find the correct nerve. Sorry this is so long, but hope it has value to you.

Thanks fleemore; thats calmed my nerves. I just don't want to be laid up for weeks after the surgery. The urologist assured me it was a quick and easy painless process; I just had my doubts. Fingers crossed it solves my problems 🙏

Praying for a good outcome
HC

I had the interstim placed in my backside in Feb. The temporary was done first to test and see if it worked for me. After a 3 week trial I had the final surgery to place the permanent device in place. I was sore for a few days and bruised for a while. Really no big deal.

My doctors are talking about an interstim for me. But they don't know if it will work for my issues as I have some that it would likely help for and others that it would not so I will have to wait and see the doctor about it.

I did the Interstim test last October and got the permanent device in November. Mine was a 3-day test, which wasn't enough that I was really sure how much it would help; I think the longer test would work better.

For me, having the probes put in my back was very uncomfortable, but not excruciating. It was over quickly for the test, taking less than five minutes. The biggest problem I had during the test is that the bandages kept peeling off. I went back the day after and they reapplied them, and by a couple of days later they were peeling off again so they just ended the test. It wasn't painful, but I was worried that they'd move and invalidate the test.

Getting the permanent leads placed was more painful. My urologist prefers to place the leads without anesthesia, which lets her get feedback from the patient on what the sensations are. I ended up glad she did, because the first attempt stopped giving me any sensation. She switched sides, and the sensation returned, and I ended up with a device that works well at very low intensities. After the leads were placed they put me out to implant the actual device, so that part wasn't bad.

I wasn't laid up for any significant time. I got it done the week before Thanksgiving, so I had a few days off work, but I was up and about during that time and not in a lot of pain, just some general discomfort from the incision. It didn't keep me from doing anything I wanted to.

Itapilot

What does the Interstim really do?

What does it feel like when it is telling you something?

Can you turn it on and off?

Did it help with pain and spasms?

Hi Honeeecombs,

I had the Interstim test in mid-March. During the insertion of the device I was under anesthesia so I didn't feel anything. I was a little sore for a few days. You can't shower afterwards but you can take sponge baths until permanent implantation. You will be given forms to record when you urinate, the level of urgency, and any leakage. I got the Medtronic device. They call you every day around 1:30 so you can give them the information. My frequency was reduced and I can generally go every two hours during the day and sometimes 2 1/2 hours. Urgency is still there at times but much less leakage. If one of your symptoms decreases by 50%, you will be given the green light for permanent implantation of the device. You most likely will be given an antibiotic to prevent infection, and perhaps a prescription for painkillers.I didn't have very much pain and didn't use them. You may also be shown how to use the My Therapy app with which you can increase or decrease the stimulation or turn it off. The app may be on what looks like a Samsung Smart Phone. I hope this information is helpful for you.

The Interstim puts four electrical contacts along the nerve that goes to the bladder, right where the nerve comes out of the spine. It seems various pulses to those contacts, in various sequences that can be set, to reduce overactivity in the nerve. (Keep in mind that I'm a patient rather than a doctor, so this is a layman's description of what I understand it's going on.)

I normally feel nothing at all from it, because the intensity gets turned down to just below where it's noticable. I can control the intensity and change programs using a remote control that I keep with me. If I don't feel like it's doing as much as it should, I can increase the intensity or change to a different program that puts different sequences of signals on the four contacts.

When I increase the intensity, it feels like someone tapping my skin lightly with a stick. Depending on the program, I will get that tapping sensation anywhere from my anus all the way to the tip of my penis, but it's usually in the area between my anus and scrotum. (Sorry if that's too much information, but I want to be clear on what my experience is.)

I can turn it on and off if I want using the remote. The only time I turn it off is when I'm getting an MRI (there's a special MRI mode, and my leads are the new MRI-safe ones) and when I'm flying my balloon (because I don't want to have it cause a possible distraction during a critical moment of the flight). The manufacturer suggests turning it off while driving, but I've never done this and have never had a problem. I do sometimes feel the simulation, but it's a gentle tapping sensation that is not painful and not terribly distracting. I commute almost two hours a day, so that would be a lot of time to have it off.

It has helped tremendously with both the pain and spasms. I've gone from spasms many times a day and episodes of incontinence 2-5 times a week, to spasms a couple of times a week at most (and I'll go for weeks without a spasm sometimes) and no incontinence at all. I still have some bladder pain, but milder and less frequent than before the Interstim.

My bladder issues are a mix of interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder. The Interstim has been a major improvement for me in both conditions.

Okay, Itapilot. That makes a lot more since.

One of my issues is that I have multiple spasms a day both bladder and bowel. With multiple accidents a day both bladder and bowel (Sometimes more of one than the other)

And that is with medications for spasms and all that.

The pain is not there though it is in my gut area and they feel it is due to the surgery that I had so they don't know if the Interstim will help that.

Okay being honest here. What I don't want is to get talked into the Interstim, get it and then still be in pain but doctors are like well we fixed 80% of your issue and your incontinence is now manageable so go back to work and deal with the pain. Because at first, that is what my current GI doctor was acting like when I was trying to get just some time off work until they could get testing done to find out what the heck was going on. So, I am willing to go the surgery/Interstim but only if the test shows that it will fix all the issues that I have if that makes sense. I will still have to go to PT, and still have to be on all the medications that I am on. And my PT told me that the Interstim is not approved for constipation yet and so they don't even know if I would qualify for it. But, that is because they are still putting all my issues on constipation so we got to work that out.

The Dr told me the interstim may help my bowel problem but most probably not 100%. I think every individual can see a different result.

ltapilot said:
The Interstim puts four electrical contacts along the nerve that goes to the bladder, right where the nerve comes out of the spine. It seems various pulses to those contacts, in various sequences that can be set, to reduce overactivity in the nerve. (Keep in mind that I'm a patient rather than a doctor, so this is a layman's description of what I understand it's going on.)

I normally feel nothing at all from it, because the intensity gets turned down to just below where it's noticable. I can control the intensity and change programs using a remote control that I keep with me. If I don't feel like it's doing as much as it should, I can increase the intensity or change to a different program that puts different sequences of signals on the four contacts.

When I increase the intensity, it feels like someone tapping my skin lightly with a stick. Depending on the program, I will get that tapping sensation anywhere from my anus all the way to the tip of my penis, but it's usually in the area between my anus and scrotum. (Sorry if that's too much information, but I want to be clear on what my experience is.)

I can turn it on and off if I want using the remote. The only time I turn it off is when I'm getting an MRI (there's a special MRI mode, and my leads are the new MRI-safe ones) and when I'm flying my balloon (because I don't want to have it cause a possible distraction during a critical moment of the flight). The manufacturer suggests turning it off while driving, but I've never done this and have never had a problem. I do sometimes feel the simulation, but it's a gentle tapping sensation that is not painful and not terribly distracting. I commute almost two hours a day, so that would be a lot of time to have it off.

It has helped tremendously with both the pain and spasms. I've gone from spasms many times a day and episodes of incontinence 2-5 times a week, to spasms a couple of times a week at most (and I'll go for weeks without a spasm sometimes) and no incontinence at all. I still have some bladder pain, but milder and less frequent than before the Interstim.

My bladder issues are a mix of interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder. The Interstim has been a major improvement for me in both conditions.

I haven’t had the success with the interstim that you’re enjoying. Do you have any advice on changing programs and intensity? I am pretty frustrated right now.

debvollmer said:
I haven’t had the success with the interstim that you’re enjoying. Do you have any advice on changing programs and intensity? I am pretty frustrated right now.

There's only a little bit that the patient can do, just changing among existing programs. The doctor and the Medtronic rep have a lot more control over how the programs actually work, and can adjust how they work. I'd start by calling your Medtronic rep, or if you're not sure who that is, call Medtronic itself and they can probably give you the contact information.

Some of the variation between patients comes down to exactly how the lead sits by the nerve. If it ends up that they don't have it in quite the right spot, it can be revised, but this is another surgery that you have to deal with. This is one reason that, despite the discomfort of having the leads placed, my doctor did it with me awake - I feel like it helped her get good placement, with me able to give feedback. Not all doctors do it that way, though, and I don't really know for sure if it makes a difference.

I hope you can get yours working better! Please let us know what the Medtronic rep tells you.

I talked with the rep who is my contact with Medtronic. I have adjusted the programming. I’m hopeful for some changes.

Great discussion here.

This maybe a dumb question lol. But does interstim work with neurogenic bladder problems. Just curious as I assume it may but not 100% sure.

Cheers

Jason