Frustration

Archives1

Staff member
Hi my name is paul.i was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had it removed on feb 25th of this yr. I ended up getting a infection the same week i got home.fluid got into the pocket of where the prostate was and bam massive infection...after 4 months i had another infection because the stitches hadnt dissolved and my body was trying to fight this foreign substance..it was like peeing razor blades neddless to say i have had no real issues accept being incontinent ..was seein a therapist for it to do kegal exercises and also test the strength of my pelvic floor muscle ...well nothing seems to be working and i am so frustrated having to wear pads everyday and pull ups at night ..it seems no mateer what i do it just hasnt fot better and when i am very busy doing things its worst .i feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel...any advice i feel like with the 2 infections could be why i am still inccontinent and my therapiat tells me it is just going to tk more time for me to heal than the norm....i feel like there is just no light at the end of my tunnel to get back to normal life of pad and pull up free .

Bluedevil1. sorry to hear about the circumstances you've been dealing with. I had a radiation treatment for prostate cancer, so I haven't dealt with your exact situation, but I have had several TURPS that have ended up altering my urinary tract. I also deal with frequent UTIs. It generally takes a year for things to get to a "new normal", and the infections can really contribute to the incontinence. I would keep up the kegels & give it some more time

Thank you for yourr advice.i will continue my exercises and prey that in time things will get back to normal life ...i am sorry for your situation as well and i hope you can get well and infection free...

You had said the infections could have contributed to the incontinence. With me having 2 infections do you think that if it takes about a year to somewhat of normalcy then me having 2 infections would probably tk me even longer to get back to continentce free ...would you agree

Paul, I feel your pain. I started having urinary hesitation in March and now I’m incontinent with no diagnosis in sight. I’m hopefully you will see improvement. I’d stay the course as it probably won’t hurt, might help. I’m not sure how to help you work through the frustration, it is frustrating and not something any of us would choose. Keep working to stay active and stay comfortable. There are so many people here that understand what you are experiencing and will support you. Please find support wherever you can. Best of luck.

The one-year timeframe is to completely heal from the prostatectomy itself. Hopefully some of the others who have had a prostatectomy will reply as well, with what their experience has been. I had my last TURP (similar surgical procedure to a prostatectomy) almost 3 years ago, and have been religiously doing kegels since then. But I still have a constant, low-level of incontinence, as the permanent alteration of my urinary tract means it will never be fully-functional again. But my problem (I use 1-2 TENA medium pads a day) is far better than many on our site. I don't remember there ever being a discussion thread about how many men who have had a prostatectomy were ultimately able to achieve complete continence (needing no pads or any protection) again. My experience would say most require something. Chime in if you've had a prostatectomy and let us know!

Thank rumpertino for your advice and i wish you the best ...i am happy to be a part of this forum for i am not alone and it is good to get information from others that are dealing with similar issues ...and thank you cmulwee for your information as well ...i just hope there is light at the end to get me to incontenence free ...

My prostatectomy combined with a diverticulotomy was 2 1/2 yrs ago. My bladder control prior to surgery wasn't all that great, so incontinence is a part of my life. Some days are better then others,and I think maybe I can go unprotected. However, when I do it often was a poor decision. It's difficult, but I'm close to the point of wearing diapers 24/7 (I have to wear tape on diapers) and get on with life. I was told by my urologist pads would probably not be enough protection. I appreciated his frankness. Now that I have developed heart disease, needing to wear diapers seems insignificant.

Hello Bluedevil1, my RP was 6 months ago the removed 1 nerve bundle, lymph nodes but they were clear and 1 inch of the bladder neck as I was stage 3. Since then have been through 6 UTI’s and 1 impacted kidney stone. On and on. The good news is no infection for 4 weeks and I have gone from 5 pads to 3 over last few months. My advise is be patient we have had a very serious surgery with considerable nerve damage which can Take 1 to 2 or more years to heal, “sucks” so my friend hang in there see a good urinary physical therapist. Take care

Hello Bluedevil1, I am almost 8 weeks post-op from RP and joined this forum shortly after my surgery to hear from others and learn. Obviously, everyone's situation is different and unique but its abundantly clear that patience and practicing the advice from the medical pros is the key, realizing it's very difficult and frustrating at times. The pelvic floor exercises have helped me and I'm slowly seeing improvement on the incontinence. I've come to the conclusion from what many have posted here and from the what the docs have said, that this will simply take time to heal completely and regain control. I've gone from 3-4 Depends a day to 1-2 now in a fairly short period of time and feel fortunate. I still have a "bad" day occasionally and might use 3 Depends but I feel like I am making progress and it's only been two months. Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

Bobdog said:
Hello Bluedevil1, my RP was 6 months ago the removed 1 nerve bundle, lymph nodes but they were clear and 1 inch of the bladder neck as I was stage 3. Since then have been through 6 UTI’s and 1 impacted kidney stone. On and on. The good news is no infection for 4 weeks and I have gone from 5 pads to 3 over last few months. My advise is be patient we have had a very serious surgery with considerable nerve damage which can Take 1 to 2 or more years to heal, “sucks” so my friend hang in there see a good urinary physical therapist. Take care

Markus said:
Hello Bluedevil1, I am almost 8 weeks post-op from RP and joined this forum shortly after my surgery to hear from others and learn. Obviously, everyone's situation is different and unique but its abundantly clear that patience and practicing the advice from the medical pros is the key, realizing it's very difficult and frustrating at times. The pelvic floor exercises have helped me and I'm slowly seeing improvement on the incontinence. I've come to the conclusion from what many have posted here and from the what the docs have said, that this will simply take time to heal completely and regain control. I've gone from 3-4 Depends a day to 1-2 now in a fairly short period of time and feel fortunate. I still have a "bad" day occasionally and might use 3 Depends but I feel like I am making progress and it's only been two months. Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you so much markus for replying...this has been a long 8 months with 2 infections and total incontinence ..i will be patient and continue my exercises and hope to overcome this...i wish you all the best as well