Foley Question

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone ever only used a foley catheter at night? I’m immobile at night due to having long leg braces that lock my legs from my toes to the bottom of my buttocks (due to a neurological condition). I have tried night time diapers, but I struggle with the heat and sweating causing skin breakdown. Thoughts?

A foley catheter is usually not just for a few hours. It should be inserted and removed by a nurse which I guess will not be an option.
I don't know if you ever had a foley catheter but the times I had one it took hours for my body to get used to it. I would not want that hassle every night.
A much better option would be a urinal bottle, or to manage the intake of fluids and perhaps self catheterize before sleep to be sure the bladder is empty, or an external catheter.
What point is there in wearing legbraces at night? Shouldn't they give support when moving, standing and walking? It seems to me it doesn't make sense to wear them at night.

Thank you for your responses. I will look into the condom catheter. My nighttime leg braces support my legs due to constant leg spasms. They are custom designed by an orthotist to limit my spasms while I sleep. I have a neurological condition called Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis. That said, the braces lock my knees and ankles, which makes mobilizing near impossible. Combining this with my bladder spasms, I need the assistance of something outside of my night time diaper.