Foley catheter securement.

Archives1

Staff member
Hi,

Would like opinions of whether a "glued" Statlock to the leg is better than a catheter securement strap, "velcro" type.

I aim to shower daily and have another question as to how long a "glued" statlock will remain stuck to the leg?

Stay lock is way better. If you are mobile and walking they are better. The straps slide down your leg and drives me crazy when I used to use them.

I will give them a try Jim, like you, the strap used to fall down on me. Same goes for the leg bag too really.

The conveen legbags had pretty good straps with an anti slip coating on them. Don’t know if they still make them

Statlocks generally do fine with showering. I used to change my statlock ever 4-5 days, alternating legs so I didn't end up with skin problems.

I preferred the Statlock brand, which seemed to have better adhesive. There are fish and nylon tricot versions, and my experience was that the tricot was more comfortable because it breathes better. You also need to make sure you get the one with the clip sized for a silicone catheter if that's what you use - latex catheters have skinnier valves, and the Statlock for latex catheters wouldn't fit the sticker ones.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the model numbers. It's been several years since I've had a Foley.