Foley catheter as a solution for overactive bladder?

Archives1

Staff member
I have Overactive bladder with retention and chronic bladder infection. I can not pee natural anymore and I was condemned to use intermittent catheters. This worked quite well, but the urge to pee hit me at least 2 or 3 times an hour. It was very painful and stressful. I catheterized about 15 times a day, but still the pain persisted. I asked my urologist many times to apply a foley catheter but she didn't want to for the risk of infections. Two month ago finally a continence nurse recognised my pain, and after a short talk with a doctor a foley catheter was inserted. I haven't felt so good for a long time. The first 2 weeks my bladder sometimes spasmed but now my bladder came to a complete rest. I can sleep without waking up several times a night.
Does anyone else with oab feel relief using a catheter? Or has someone a different experience? Pro and contra catheter?

@Eden98 yes, I use a Foley monthly usually for a week or two, then it comes out. But I have gone monthly too, like you I have painful spasms, and bad retention, where the Foley gives my bladder a rest, as my urologist comments. Eventually I will need the Foley all the time. But right now a combination of straight cathing 6 times per day and the Foley is working for me.

@boomersway I had a catheter for almost 2 month until last wednesday. After it was out i was on the toilet constantly, for bladder and bowel, and cried it out. Friday I could go back to the doctors office and a new catheter was inserted. It was such a relief that I fear the day it has to come out again. Next appointment is in six weeks.

I had a time I contacted one of those Hospital born viruses and wound up in a nursing home for 5 1/2 months while there they insisted on using a Foley on me at one point my scrotum had swollen to the size of a grapefruit and the pain and discomfort in changing the catheters NO THANK YOU! which is why I carry the incontinence access card
38e2b2528e49090c97ed29714bfa6efd.png

I've got many issues with my spine and had 2 surgeries on my cspine since 2015. The second surgery was on March 9th . This time around of my spinal cord is damaged from being nearly pinched in half from a disc. And numbness paralysis in my arms and hands and legs which might not recover from if any or at all.

For 3 years I've been having to intermittent catheter from retention. Which was working good up until my fingers curled up and I lost use of them. Even post surgery I still have little use of my hands and fingers.

The day after having surgery I had a Foley catheter put as it's impossible to intermittent catheter with my hands and fingers not functioning. I'm using speech to text to on my phone in order to post this.

I've been on a Foley catheter for nearly 3 months now. And it's unknown how long I'm going to need it.

I was admitted to the hospital for observation post surgery in March, was only for one night. I had a rough long night of ringing the nurse every 2 hours to drain my bladder. It wasn't always possible for them to drain my bladder every 2 hours. This was due to other patients needing the same thing and getting new patients settled in overnight.

The nurse asked me if I was interested in a Foley I said sure he put the order in soon after the morning shift change I was cathed then few hours later I was discharged from the hospital with a Foley.

@DPCARE There are many good reasons not to use catheters. In my situation I had an overactive bladder causing me to have a really painful urge multiple times an hour. Going to the loo did nothing unless I catheterised, ending up emptying my bladder 12 to 15 times, day and night like that. I contracted chronic bladder and prostate infections several years ago that are resistant to any antibiotics. It flares up every now and then. I had an infected scrotum once and it's a good reason to avoid any further infections. But for now it works well for me.

@compwiz878 Wow, that's tough, hope you're doing well and your situation can be improved.
I was diagnosed with a Parkinson's related neurological disorder 1 and a half years ago . It's not quite clear if my bladder issues are caused by this. Main problems are with my shaking and instabil legs, and a shaking right hand, which is my good hand I use to catheterize. I think one day the decision between intermittent and foley catheter will be made due to my ability to use my hands, but I hope this will be far in the future.

@Eden98 I'm very glad you had your Foley replaced, as they must deal with pain first, then figure out what is going on.

Curious as to why you don’t consider a Suprapubic catheter. I’ve had mine for 2 years now and find it to be a big relief in bladder management.

@Beckyd my urologist wants to try everything else and a sees a catheter only a temporary solution with a big risk for UTI. But how thinks work out for me now i would definitely consider a suprapubic catheter.
I wanted to know with this topic how others, especially those with oab would think about this, or have experience by them self.
Thank you for your feedback!

@Eden98
I also have an over active bladder and BPH. I now use the duette Foley most of the time to manage the symptoms. I have the support of my urologist. UTIs are always a factor, but with proper care and procedures they can be prevented.
Hope the Foley works well for you.

Gerald

@Gerald51
Actually it works very well for me. I don't have to catheterize multiple times a day. I can sleep through the night, and don't have a painful bladder with the feeling of strong urge anymore and no incontinence. My bladder comes to a rest and is it definitely a big improvement to my situation before, despite cons a foley catheter has.

For this advantages i was wondering if more OAB patients with who also have to catheterize have the same experience. Thanks for the feedback.

@Eden98
All the positive benefits of being catheterized with the Foley that you listed is exactly why I also use it.
I believe there is a growing community of men that are catheterizing to manage their urinary condition rather than taking medication and enduring the side effects.

Do you plan on continuing with the Foley from now on?
Gerald

@Gerald51

If it's up to me I would definitely keep the catheter in as long as possible. My urologist thinks otherwise: the time using a foley catheter should be as limited as possible. And ofcourse i know it's not ideal, but self catheterisation isn't either. From the odour I can tell there are bacterias in my urine, but as long as it doesn't hurt I don't see any drawbacks. And I had many UTI before, but luckily, usually without pain. Pain was only from urge, and that is gone now. I can feel the catheter in my bladder sometimes but that is just an inconvenience.

It is sometimes hard to explain to a doctor how much this urge hurts and affects my life. I'm waiting to start pain counseling, but I don't have big hopes for that.
Do you ever consider a suprapubic catheter? I don't know what exact benefit they have compared to a foley catheter.

@Eden98,@Gerald51

I was intermittent cathing 6 or more times aday and wearing diapers for the ocasional leakage and or full on bladder drains inbetween cathing. I mean the diapers saved from wetbed wet clothing,i got quickly tired of constantly washing bedding and laundry.

The reason for the fore mentioned is i have a neurogenic bladder which is believed to be caused by the multiple spinal issues i have.

ive had 2 surgeries on my cervicle spine since 2015 , with the most recent surgery done back on march 9th 2021. my spinal cord was severely pinched to the point of almost being severed. I was having many neurological problems, i'm still having neurological problems and its unknown if i'll recover only time will tell im told.

But i was admitted for observation following this 2nd surgery in march, i was taking in iv fluids and drinking tons of water soda juices along with the iv fluids.

I tried to self cath but my fingers wouldnt let me they're numb and curled under. so after a few mins the nurse came back in and asked how it went i said couldnt do it. i had dropped the catheter on the floor. she got another catheter and an assistant, and cathed me and drained 1500ml and i barely felt the need to go. i had to ring the nurse every 2 hours just to be safe. there was a few other times over 1000ml was drained in a 12 14 hour time frame. the overnight nurse asked if i wanted him to order a foley catheter i said sure itll make his and my life easier.he put the order in, at 8am the social worker came in to say my discharge was being worked on. the the daylight nurse came in and said the foley order was approved and would be back in 10mins with an assistant. they came back in carrying the supplies for putting a foley in. I was sent home with the foley around 12noon.

3weeks later saw my uroligist and the foley was changed almost 4 months of using a foley and as mentioned in another post my bladder is happy now that it can relax. It's unknown how long ill be using a foley. or if itll be permanent or if ill be switched to a SPC.

@Eden98
About 7 years ago in search of an urologist I had one appointment with an urologist/ surgeon. Immediately when I told him I had been using the Foley as an alternative means of managing my urge incontinence he suggested that I consider a suprapubic catheter. He didn't really explain much about it only that it would prevent any possible chance of damage to the urethra. I asked about infections, and as I remember he felt that wasn't an issue. As I understood he could reverse the procedure at any time if I didn't like it. With very little knowledge about it at that moment it seemed a little extreme.
Basically I felt he was looking at the financial gains he would earn from the surgery. Feeling uncomfortable about him I immeditately switched to my current urologist who has never suggested a suprapubic catheter.

Has your doctor suggested it?

Gerald

@compwiz878
I also have a neurogenic bladder causing it to be over active. I understand the relief you felt getting catheterized with the Foley. Glad it has worked out well for you.

@compwiz878
With the last urodynamics test a few months ago bladder filling came no further than 500ml and I was crying out from pain. still i couldn’t empty my bladder although the urge was unbearable. Years ago the retention was at max of 900ml, and I felt I could explode. I can only imagine how a retention of 1500 ml must feel.
Since the first test when I had 900ml retention I have learned to catheterize myself. over years that went quite well but still i had leaking on a daily basis and had to use diapers, especially at night. The amount of urine in my bladder before the urge hit me decreased and I could hardly catheterize before I wet myself. Last year i couldn’t urinate anymore and i ended up catheterizing 10 to 15 times a day, feeling the urge come back 30 minutes after. Being incontinent was stressful but by far not as hard as not being able to urinate and still have a big urge.
I had many procedures from pelvic floor therapy to botox and interstim device but nothing worked. It is from a congenital neurological disorder but it is not known why my especially this area is so involved.

I hope you recover from your spine and neurological problems. so that maybe a foley or SPC will not be necessary anymore in the future. I wish you all the best!

@Gerald51
No, the doctor didn’t suggest this. The nurse who put in the second foley catheter mentioned a suprapubic catheter would be considerable. Especially for a man of my age ( I'm 46 ) it would be much more comfortable when using a catheter for a longer period. I didn’t know what she meant by that and didn’t ask. But i think, because she asked if i had a partner, it is because she thinks i’m sexually active. I didn’t explain to her that this is not possible for me anymore.

The risk for bladder infections i think is just as big with a foley as a SPC? Maybe there is less risk for prostate or urinary tract infections. If so, a SPC would definitely be considerable, but it seems a radical procedure.