Finally I don’t feel ashamed anymore

Archives1

Staff member
I have reached a point in my life that I’m no longer embarrassed about needing to wear diapers. It just a part of me. After all the years no longer bothers me.I can even talk about it and have found others that have the same problems

That is awesome Jay. I am still a bit awkward about it but trying hard to get over it. My wife says she does not care, but I still find it hard to be seen in one in front of her. I try to keep that private from her still. I do not openly tell people or anything, but I have steeled myself for the day someone notices and says something. I know I do not look in the mirror as much or worry about the puffy butt or front either.

I one day would love to be totally fine with it just like any other underwear.

Glad to hear it. That’s a good place to get to. We’re all human and our bodies all work a little differently sometimes.

It takes awhile for sure to get to that point in
Life... Having an accepting spouse is very important!

Ok Guys
it's been 4 years since radical prostatectomy and I have to say it's been a wild ride. So here I am 4 years later - better than before. Yes I too had the Depends - for a couple of years then went to pads

In the meantime, to have some sort of normalcy - (so to speak) I found Protechdry - it's underwear for us! Washable and I've found that they are good 6-9 months, then get rid of and replace with new.
with that I found the Tena Pads - for men, they are wide at the top and narrow at the bottom.

This way I can continue with my work, and I've been happier with my current situation.

PROTECHDRY - Washable Urinary Incontinence Cotton Boxer Brief Underwear for Men with Front Absorbent Area, Black Small
Size:Black

TENA MEN Super Guard - Level 3

So that's my current go - to system - and I'm able to work / play - and continue to enjoy all that life brings.

Hope this helps

johnnyc said:
Ok Guys
it's been 4 years since radical prostatectomy and I have to say it's been a wild ride. So here I am 4 years later - better than before. Yes I too had the Depends - for a couple of years then went to pads

In the meantime, to have some sort of normalcy - (so to speak) I found Protechdry - it's underwear for us! Washable and I've found that they are good 6-9 months, then get rid of and replace with new.
with that I found the Tena Pads - for men, they are wide at the top and narrow at the bottom.

This way I can continue with my work, and I've been happier with my current situation.

PROTECHDRY - Washable Urinary Incontinence Cotton Boxer Brief Underwear for Men with Front Absorbent Area, Black Small
Size:Black

TENA MEN Super Guard - Level 3

So that's my current go - to system - and I'm able to work / play - and continue to enjoy all that life brings.

Hope this helps

I have tried pads and pull ups but the best way for me was just diapers I wear abena l4 and mega max I really don’t even notice them any more

Those of you who had partners at the time of becoming incontinent are very, very, very lucky. I had just separated from my husband for two weeks when I fell off the cliff and acquired Neurogenic Bladder. I still firmly believe I will never date seriously again because I never want to have to tell a date I wear diapers. I know others are comfortable doing so, but I definitely am not. Likely linked to my perfectionism. Oh well.

@snow thanks I have had this problem for years but I now can manage it and have found a lot of support from others. Even people that don’t need diapers have helped me get over it I can be done.

Best to accept, then you can find best solution. Also, know we are all only human and all have our differences.

Hugs, Mary Lou

We were visiting friends and one of them told me she had just had surgery to correct her incontinence. Even then, I was still to embarrassed to share that I had incontinence issues. I feel a bit guilty but it sucks that society puts such shame around this.

@silk45, I don’t see why you should feel that way. Some folks are more outspoken while, others are more private.

One can be sympathetic and supporting with disclosing personal medical issues.

Snow,
I can’t stand the thought of you being all alone forever, just because of this.

I just thought I’d send some positive thoughts and history your way:
When I was involved in my accident back in 87 I was only 26 years old and married to my High School Sweetheart. Being a very athletic person and living in San Diego I had a GREAT life going, or so I thought.
My ex-wife turned into such a @#$&*! She said she couldn’t stand to see her “Man” in a diaper… Nothing mentioned about the time I was in a coma, or all the surgeries I endured to put my body back together. I started investing at 16 y/o.and started my own businesses while still in school. I ended up giving her a six figure fortune for laying by the pool and clothes shopping for 6 years, while I went to school full time and ran my businesses. I just had to get her away from me!
I just didn’t know what I was going to do, or how I was going to get past this..
After PT one day a nurse came to me and DEMANDED! I ask her out. She had my records and didn’t care about my underwear! For a year we had a great time together, but she was a traveling nurse and was offered Hawaii, her dream job so off she went. She gave me the confidence to get in the game, as I hadn’t dated since Freshman year of High School. Talk about a new world! I loved dating! I had a blast for over 10 years. I never let diapers get in the way. I was confident in the fact I was a decent somewhat intelligent person with a wide range of interests, and loved to have a good time.I lost count of how many women I dated before I met my Wife, but never once did my UNDERWEAR cause the end of a relationship. After seeing all the scars on my legs, back, shoulders etc. I gained more respect, if anything many wanted to rescue me?
As I’ve mentioned in the past, my Wife just calls them my uniforms, as in school we both had no choice but to wear a uniform every day, so somehow that joke stuck, and it will be 21 years this September.
I couldn’t imagine my life without her in it, YOU deserve the same!

I hope I haven’t overstepped, but we all deserve to be happy. and in 30 years of this I’ve never met or spoke with anyone who intentionally became incontinent, if anything we’re all victims of a sort, but I’ve never played the victim card and won’t start now!

All my best & Happy Memorial Day!

Sprung87 said:
Snow,
I can’t stand the thought of you being all alone forever, just because of this.

I just thought I’d send some positive thoughts and history your way:
When I was involved in my accident back in 87 I was only 26 years old and married to my High School Sweetheart. Being a very athletic person and living in San Diego I had a GREAT life going, or so I thought.
My ex-wife turned into such a @#$&*! She said she couldn’t stand to see her “Man” in a diaper… Nothing mentioned about the time I was in a coma, or all the surgeries I endured to put my body back together. I started investing at 16 y/o.and started my own businesses while still in school. I ended up giving her a six figure fortune for laying by the pool and clothes shopping for 6 years, while I went to school full time and ran my businesses. I just had to get her away from me!
I just didn’t know what I was going to do, or how I was going to get past this..
After PT one day a nurse came to me and DEMANDED! I ask her out. She had my records and didn’t care about my underwear! For a year we had a great time together, but she was a traveling nurse and was offered Hawaii, her dream job so off she went. She gave me the confidence to get in the game, as I hadn’t dated since Freshman year of High School. Talk about a new world! I loved dating! I had a blast for over 10 years. I never let diapers get in the way. I was confident in the fact I was a decent somewhat intelligent person with a wide range of interests, and loved to have a good time.I lost count of how many women I dated before I met my Wife, but never once did my UNDERWEAR cause the end of a relationship. After seeing all the scars on my legs, back, shoulders etc. I gained more respect, if anything many wanted to rescue me?
As I’ve mentioned in the past, my Wife just calls them my uniforms, as in school we both had no choice but to wear a uniform every day, so somehow that joke stuck, and it will be 21 years this September.
I couldn’t imagine my life without her in it, YOU deserve the same!

I hope I haven’t overstepped, but we all deserve to be happy. and in 30 years of this I’ve never met or spoke with anyone who intentionally became incontinent, if anything we’re all victims of a sort, but I’ve never played the victim card and won’t start now!

All my best & Happy Memorial Day!

That's an incredible story. 👏 Major props to yourself for giving yourself the ability to be able to get out there and get back socially. I resonate with the idea of being insecure about others (significant others) knowing about my bladder condition.

On the other end of it as well; since I have a significant other - I didn't think they would be back in my life to be honest. I've been trying to stay single for the past couple of years and have been reluctant to find somebody else (significant other can be mentally and verbally abusive).

Anywho, I still long for a family who will accept myself for who I am and my bladder condition or a good/best friend that will support myself and get myself out there and be physically healthy like I used to be in college. I think anybody with any condition whether it be cancer, diabetes, MS, or severe bladder issues long for good people in there life to share experiences or even just someone to accept you for who you are and not a label.

After having to wear protection at night and sometimes during the day - I understand why people with cancer wear bandanas and caps. Because deep down you feel different.

But you are not different. Amen.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs