Female diagnosed with OAB at 41; any help?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everybody. A few months after turning 41 I started urinating pretty constantly. I went to a urologist and received the diagnosis. Some days I honestly forget to do the kegel exercises. Some days urinate more than others. Anybody try anything else? much appreciated :)

I see.
Well you're in a good place here among others dealing with the same.
Have you tried Oxybutynin?
It helped me with frequent urination
I'm also young 37 but my issue was caused by cpps and my oab comes and goes.
Kegels work well as does physical therapy to strengthen pelvic floor.

If you are consuming sugary drinks and food, that may be making things worse. I can cut out sugar and it makes a big difference. Even if your not diabetic(yet) some of our bodys seem to work pretty hard processing it.

I've had this for years. Also have a prolapse bladder and wear a pessiiary. Dr is suggesting a hysterectomy but I don't see how that would help an overactive bladder. Have some good days. And some really bad ones. I've tried everything. Some things work for a while. 2 drs said not to have surgery as it could make things worse. I'm 83 so should be used to this.

Cur out coffee regular tea and spicy foods?
Supposedly simple high fiber food like oatmeal and veggies help to absorb excess water although staying well hydrated with plain water not juices or flavored drink is very important to keep the whole body going well and avoid UTI s which are like OAB but worse!

I am just the middle man"woman". Any drink passes right though me almost in minutes. It doesn't make life any easier. I just wear pads and pee my pants.

Annmarie, I'm glad you talked with two other doctors. And if they say no surgery, then I would go with that if I were you. After all majority rules with two doctors (out of a total of three you've seen) say not to have surgery. I think they're right in that surgery has the potential of making things worse, so you may want to take that as gospel!

I am a 60 yr.old female and tried timed voiding, but do not notice any improvements. I am drinking about 64 ounces of water each day for health. I am fine for the first few hours of my day, but then I need to urinate anytime between 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, sometimes longer, until mid-evening. Once my body says "it's time", I must go quickly. I am also doing Kegel exercises, usually 3 sets of 10 once a day.

I am discussing meds with my doctor tomorrow, but am very concerned about meds after reading about all of the side-effects. I am concerned if the potential risk of side-effects is worth it, but I know this is interfering with my quality of life, especially now when I don't like to use random bathrooms.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a specific care plan that has more success than another? Help!

Thank you!

OAB sucks. I've been dealing with it (mixed with interstitial cystitis) for twenty years or more now.

The good thing is that there are quite a few meds that can help, as well as pelvic PT and some other stuff. The bad thing is that many of the treatments come with side effects, and none of the treatments are that reliable about working well for most people. It's common to have to try multiple things to find something that works, and it's also common to have it not do as much as you might like even if it does help.

There is a wise variety of meds (oxybutynine, hyoscyamine, hydroxyzine, mibegrigone, amitryptiline, and others - I've probably misspelt most of those!). You can try PTNS (Anklestim), which is an electrical stimulation of a nerve in your ankle done in a doctor's office over multiple sessions; Interstim, which is surgically implanted in your back; physical therapy; and lifestyle changes. Most doctors generally start with less invasive and proceed to more invasive, which seems wise to me.

Meanwhile, the enormous market for absorbent products demonstrates the limitations of treatment. I take multiple meds daily, which help with the pain and discomfort, but I still end up wearing absorbent briefs (adult diapers, for those who prefer to be plain-spoken). Fortunately there are many good options, and they're much more discreet than most people realize.

It takes time, patience, and persistence, but there's an excellent chance that you can find a combination of treatments and coping strategies that will let you get in with your life with minimal impact from OAB.

It is said avoid coffee tea and spicy or sugary food. Drink plain water and eat oatmeal berries and high fiber veggies to help process water. Drink that water I myself just escaped a uti because I didn't drink enough water

Thanks MayMay,
I should try that too. I got another UTI the day before we left for our trip south. Feeling better now but they can really mess up a short retreat.

I was amazed I turned my uti off by simply drinking a lot of water when I started getting it and fut out sugars. I'm not prone to them but it did seem to fix the problem