Fecal Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all,
I’ve had bedwetting issues my whole life and never let it interfere with the way I lived my life. I’ve been married for 40 years to someone who has been very supportive. I’ve been using diapers or some other incontinent brief for all those years. But this is not what I’m writing about today.
A few years ago, I started having problems with diarrhea. It started with just not being able to trust a far and I had to go home and change my pants. Since then, it has become progressively worse. I would come home and notice that not only did I have skid marks in my underwear, but it went through to my pants, sometimes to the outer pants where it would be visible. It was frustrating because I wouldn’t know it was there until I got home later.
I decided I needed to wear something thicker when this was happening and got some adult sized training pants. This worked out well for skids and small leaks but at other times when there were bigger accidents it is not that helpful. Sometimes when it’s really bad I wear diapers during the day, always having a spare diaper with me.
I’ve talked to my doctor and have been referred to a gastroenterologist and had the always enjoyable colonoscopy. Nothing unusual was found. Also had tests for IBS among other things. On my last visit I mentioned that having diarrhea is one thing but that not being able to hold it was something else altogether. I mentioned the training pants and the diapers. He has set up an appointment with a colorectal surgeon to determine if there is something “mechanical” going on, but of course I can’t get appointment for a couple of months.
Here is my dilemma. I’m not about to have this cause change in my lifestyle. My wife and I have a trip to Europe planned at the end of the month. It will be a 7–8-hour flight. My plan is to wear a diaper on the plane first of all because if I fall asleep, I will likely wet myself. But also, because I never know when this diarrhea might rear its ugly head. On a plane there may be times when you can’t leave your seat or have to wait to use the restroom on the plane. A small accident wouldn’t be too bad but if it’s a blow out I don’t want to be that stinky guy creating a biohazard.
I’m thinking of doing some kind of clean out a day or two before we leave and I’m not sure what the best way to accomplish this might be or if it is even plausible. If there is anyone with fecal incontinence who has traveled with this condition do you have any suggestions.

@bachforever1289 That sounds like a smart plan to minimize the risk. You might also ask for specific seat assignment on a medical basis which would be seat closest to the rest room and an aisle seat. I would have no problem asking to cut the line if I was in distress. You shouldn’t get too dehydrated though. You might consider an external catheter and leg bag so that you don’t have to restrict water intake. Good luck and have a great trip.

It might be useful to take notes on food and drink you take in day or night before.
For instance any kind of fruit juice or sugar and fried foods can disrupt me.
For what it's worth Thomas brand bagels cause me constipation for almost a week.

Every one is different but these are my personal observations

@bachforever1289

Hi, Beachforever.

Your post sounds a lot like some of mine.

First and foremost I would get a CT Scan asap. A number one leading cause of bedwetting is constipation. You might not even know you have it. My constipation and diverticulitis are what my GI doctor attributes to the cause of my problems.

Get to a GI doctor asap.

There are quite a few quick tests that GI can do to see what is going on.

If you have any questions feel free to dm me here.