Family gathering

Archives1

Staff member
How do y’all handle family gatherings. I’m goin to visit some family that doesn’t know and that I don’t want to know about my incontinence. I won’t have my own room and there is only one bathroom. Plan on being there for a couple days. How do you handle changing and disposal. Without everyone being nosy.

I use my luggage to contain my bags with diapers that are used. Ill stop at a gas station and dispose once a day or such if driving.

If it’s feasible and affordable without offending the family, maybe get a motel/hotel room nearby. That would give enough space and privacy to deal with things.

It just hit me. Your name is trucker. If you have a sleeper cab just drive that to the gathering. Say it’s to take the room sharing burden off of the family.

Hi Trucker, what with all of this Covid still bugging us getting a motel nearby may be the answer! Your family will appreciate the consideration you are showing by voluntarily making your self more socially distant by not crowding into what sounds like an already pretty crowded situation. And if indeed you have a sleeper cab, then you're all set! Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Honestly I wouldn't go. I know that's not helpful.... If I can't get my own room and there's only one bathroom in the house then I'm 100% staying in a hotel.

But sleeping in a hotel doesn't change the problem of needing to be able to change and stuff. Unless you don't mind bringing a backpack into the one bathroom to change your diaper. But that probably would raise questions. If you're only needing to spend a few hours at a time at the house you could just make sure you're wearing super absorbent premium diapers.

Where i staying doesn’t have a hotel within an 1 hour and a half drive. Also me and my family don’t really fear COVID and believe in Heard immunity so we don’t social distance or wear mask. My truck is a day cab as I’m a local heavy haul driver. I really don’t want to miss this family gathering again. I missed it last year as I was injured. We just go up to are family cabin and drink fish and dick off. Sorry for the delayed response

When we have a gathering at my Mother in Laws I don't have an issue as she knows (embarrassing story but when on a family town trip out of town, she walked into out cottage and saw me, her knowing has made it a lot easier. She herself uses pads and suggested I keep extras at her house and when we have gathering there I don't have to worry about how to get them in and out. I throw the wet one away in a trash can she keeps in the spare bedroom closet and I get rid of it later.

With the right planning, it can be done. Taking into consideration the current covid situation I would exercise caution. If they have a trash can in the bathroom take lots of good airtight gallon sized ziplock bags and regular dark colored plastic bags. When you dispose of the diaper, first wrap it as tightly as possible with the same tapes and put it into the darker plastic bag. Then put that bag into one of the ziplock bags and squeeze all the air out and seal. It should be easy to deposit into trash container. If the can is too small, take a small back pack with you, with it you can store the clean diapers and just take it with you when you go into bathroom nobody will know you have your diapers in there, and just store it until you can get outside and dispose of it in the city trash can.

Sharing a room definitely makes hiding things much more difficult. It might be easier to just come out and let them know about your incontinence. After all they are family. Even if they are not necessarily supportive, the conversation and information will be out, and you don't have to worry about them finding out anymore. I know it is a hard, embarrassing conversation to have, but would probably be better then the constant anxiety, and avoiding them.