External catheter or clamp

Archives1

Staff member
I am going to be returning to work in few weeks and still have considerable incontinence (6-7 pads per day) I think returning to work is good for my mental and physical health but worried about how things will go. Doctor brought up using Cunningham clamp during busy times of day. I work in a hospital and on my feet majorly of the day and work 12 hour shifts. Also considering external catheters. Looking for help from individuals that have used either and if good or bad?Best and worst you used. Feel the people going through similar situations is best place to get advice.

/Users/ronpitelka/Desktop/Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 00.07.58.png
d00298c09ccb7c961abe1a8c5466109c.png

@Jimfrompa Ive never used a clamp, but have tried the external catheters. My penis expands and contracts (often retracts inside) quite a bit, so what fitted when I put it on, could fall off a few minutes later. I tried different makes and different sizes and concluded that they are not for me. I have a colleague who had the same surgery as me. We ended up on the same ward at the same time and as a result we regularly compared our experiences. Anyway he had an ongoing dribble and thought that an external catheter worked really well. I wish you all the best in your return to work.

Is that reusable? Name? Is it comfortable and reliable for very active people? I have a 300 acre farm and work 12 hour days in hospital.

I actually used the clamp,I will tell you it def works well.The downfall is it hurts after hours of using it.what I found to work a feel a little better is cut a piece of ace bandage about a inch wide and wrap it around your pens then apply the clamp .it helps with the discomfort.Do not clamp itctight but just enough where you are not leaking .You will know when you need to go pee,unclamp and go.Cut a few ships of the bandage that way you can wash it and have another on hand always cut it about 3 inches long and try it or make one 4 inches enough to wrap around penis at least 1_to 1.5 times around for comfort ...good luck to you

I tried a clamp a few weeks ago, to help with getting thru a round of golf and a curling game. It felt ok for the 1st hour, then started to hurt like hell after that. Mine came with three different sizes, and i tried all the sizes and different clamp pressures at different times, but still found i had leakage, so i havent used since.
I was thinking of going to the external catheter, but since i mentioned in my response a couple of days ago, i have noticed quite a decrease in my leakage, so i am now jut sticking with pads. Good Luck Jim

I use Hollister inview.the key is to use prep wipes first to put a good coating of glue skin on your penis and measuring to get the right size. I'm small and use 29mm and works great for me. I am a community nurse and work 12 hour shifts too.

I really didn't want to see that - but unfortunately it's a fact of life. In my own experiences - wearing what are known as "absorbants" - do give you a better quality of life when dealing with severe bladder issues and like myself - spasm pain. A clamp for myself would not work in the sense that to alleviate the pain; means to relax the muscles - thus, overall lower quality of life.

Bur I am thankful for clamps and bladder bags for people who are immobile, those who were them for discretion, as well as those who do not want to wear an absorbent product.

I've been there, in my Childhood, Young Adulthood, and Adulthood. 29 suffering since 26.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Jim,
You are a strong candidate for our "Relax for Men" product which is patent pending, but not yet for sale. We have one more test series coming up that volunteers will hopefully corroborate our great enthusiasm...after six years in development. It's an external aid that can be worn 24/7, if need be. Send me note at amhelp@comcast.net after which I'll send all the marketing and sales material for your review. Best wishes. DG

Please, look into the Artificial Urinary Sphincter. I had the surgery in March and it changed my life. It’s not for everyone, but it’s something to consider……

Thanks James517. I am only a month post RP with stress incontinence issues. Looking for a solution to return to work soon. I will definitely look into that if issue does not resolve. Glad to hear you found a solution to your problem.

I second the artificial urinary sphincter recommendation. Had mine done in August and it's been a game changer

That will be my direction if kegels do not work for me. Think they won’t do that until a year after RP surgery.

8739bf81cb3bbce61a9b0eb5e2348b8f.jpg

Hi Jim
I’ve been using a sheath catheter for around 12 months having struggled with IC for around 10 yrs. Changing from my previous IC management practices changed the quality of my life and the way I present myself socially. I use an IN VIEW 41 sheath from Hollister with a smallish cloth covered COLOPLAST “sports“ collection bag which I place discretely in my trouser or shorts pocket. In the beginning I checked a number of free sample sheaths and got the correct sheath sizing and most suitable material. 12 months later I never think of my IC as a problem. I have never had a leak or a sheath come loose. In fact, the reverse is that the sheath is exceptionally secure and when I come to take it off prior to going to bed the anti-adhesive spray remover assists removal plus the wipes clean off any leftover adhesive. The bag is simple to empty even whilst in the pocket. It will take up to 3 releases but I tend to empty each time I void. Preparation and fitting in the morning take less than 2 mins. I must say I never consider my IC as a problem anymore. It is totally respectable and I can highly recommend this method of management. Contact me if you would like any more information

I have used a clamp that I bought off Amazon. It works for a couple of hours (for me) at a time, reducing the flow rate into pads, thus reducing the number of pads or pull ups per day.

Personally I would be careful about the clamp. It's not advisable to use it for more than an hour. When I was at my worst with incontinence I only used the clamp for a few minutes when I was getting dried after having a shower. I use pads now but the conveen when I'm away for a full day. The Coloplast system with active leg bag is very good in my opinion. I have never had an issue with slippage, but you do need to measure yourself. They will send you a wheel with 6 circumferences so you get the right size. Also there are two lengths, a regular one which suits most men and a shorter one for instances where penile shortening has occured because of the surgery. Just to provide context I am 7 months post op, dry and night and pretty good in the early part of the day, but leak more as I get tired. Three/ four months post op I was leaking 500/600 mls daily. Now I am in double figures. I still find the conveen good for a full day away from home. It is nice to get back to the loose fitting boxer shorts and get some respite from the warm pads.

Age 64, 4 months post radical prosectomy, pretty active outdoors. Still have leakage but much less than before. Started using clamp with minimal pressure a month ago and am very pleased with results. Only wear during day in combination with pullups and small pad inside of those. Release clamp every 1-2 hours and get significant flow almost always. Only use it during active part of day, try to reposition each time i release it. Still doing kegals as well. If I don’t adjust clamp right and notice discomfort, I readjust until comfortable. I generally make it through a day with the one slightly stained pad this way instead of 3 or 4. Order large size if getting clamp- the small size is more likely to work on a mouse! I’m pretty small to average and use loosest setting with the large clamp. Also wear boxer briefs style snug fitting over it all and have not had an embarrassing accident yet. Loose pants or shorts help as well. Hope this helps…