Experience with male urethral sling post RP

I did the sling, 4+ years after RP. Waste of time and energy!!! Had an Artificial Urinary Sphincter installed a year ago, and it was life-changing. Do your research!!! AUS is the way to go in my opinion. I went from 5-6 pads a day to 1!!! And, it’s not even saturated half the time…..only when I golf.
Don’t do the sling!!!! I was worried about post op pain, etc……almost non-existent!!
My 2 cents worth!!!!

I've had an AUS for 3 years. I discovered my 1/2 Oz of leakage was mostly from residual after urination. My dr at Sloan KETTERING
said he has had limited success with slings and advised against it. As we speak I'm skiing in Utah 5 days a week without issues.

I had the Boston Scientific Advanced sling surgery on January 6 and was bone dry immediately. I was 3 years post RP and using 2-3 pads a day. The new sling has teeth in the arms that reportedly give this sling design greater stability and endurance. The old slings had smooth arms that reportedly could slip and undermine the sling placement. I strongly recommend - it has given me a new lease on life. Sometimes I dribble a small amount when exercising hard but otherwise bone dry.

I am interested in this topic as I have incontinence 6 months after surgery. It has improved some, but still leaking day and night. I’ll give it another six months before I consider the sling or AUS.

Cyclist I would give it 18 months. I know some sites say a year but quite a few say there can be improvement up to 18 months and cancer research UK actually says 2 years

I had the Boston Scientific sling in Nov 2021 and the results were great. I previously had RP in Aug 2018 and radiation in Feb-Mar 2020. Sling surgery was minimally invasive and worked. I believe the experience of the surgeon makes a big difference. Have previously posted here in more detail.

You can use the magnifying glass search to find more topics concerning the sling. I posted the link at the bottom. The search seems to only go back 7 months even though I selected Advanced options and 12 months (I also tried "ALL") with the same results.

I had the sling in Sept 2021 one year after my prostatectomy. I was leaking about 20 ounces a day. I know only leak at night a quarter of an ounce because I am a side sleeper.

Like @danznman I had the Boston Scientific Sling with the bards and chevrons to help hold it in place. I was very cautious the first 6 weeks in not lifting over 10 pounds. I also took Miralax (generic store brand) full dose in morning coffee for 2 weeks and half dose for 4 more weeks. I needed the sling to succeed. If you are not able to allow the 6 week healing time, then the AUS may be a better option. My hope with the sling is that it should last decades where the AUS has a 7 to 15 life span before needing to be redone. If the sling fails, the AUS is still an option. The wound care and incisions are very similar with the AUS being a little deeper to wrap around the urethral.

Look at my profile's threads for more with sling and AUS. Go to the bottom of the page (use ctrl key + end key) press show more Threads - keep repeating until there are not more items. Then use ctrl F to find sling or aus.

The search results link

Other links from my profile

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just had my 6 and 1/2 month follow up and my surgeon is the one who brought up the possibility of needing surgery. Apparently my RP was complicated by my pelvis being narrowed and my prostate was very deep. Resection required a lot of digging in the pelvic floor to get good margins. Anyway, he is skeptical that I will have a full recovery of continence. This may also explain why I was leaking a great deal around the Foley catheter immediately following surgery. I’m going to wait until a year postop to decide but wanted to start gathering information.
Thanks all

I am 15 months after surgery, i am down to 1 pad a day none at night. Head and shoulders better than were I was at 12 months. And my surgery took 5 1/2 hours with the same story, my doctor also said narrow, tight space down deep. I believe we all heal different but I also believe if the surgeon had difficulties, the nerves may take long to rebuild themselves. Have faith and work your core muscles that will help in the rebuild.

cyclist said:
I am interested in this topic as I have incontinence 6 months after surgery. It has improved some, but still leaking day and night. I’ll give it another six months before I consider the sling or AUS.
I wasn't until the 8 month did I see some relieve from my incontinence. I was using 8 to 10 pads a day but after about 8 months things started slowing down and by 10 months I was down to 1 or 2 a day. I now use a pad a day and its been 15 months. I does get better just hang in there.