Electric blankets

I don't think the electric blankets would be dangerous because the wires, undamaged are sealed. I believe the problem would be if a wire is damaged and/or the blanket is damaged. My experience has been, when this happens, the blanket stops warming.
Additionally, the blanket is above the person in bed, and less likely to be damaged.
Hope this is helpful!

I'd be concerned about the use of electric blankets...I do not. More so, I'd be concerned with the use of heating pads that could bear weight, be folded, etc. Not an issue to me since I've never liked heated blankets or even heated car seats.

We have a waterproof electric pad on our bed. It covers the whole bed just like any other mattress pad, but heats like an electric blanket. Never had any issues, and it is advertised as waterproof. Obviously for bed wetters etc.I wear diapers at night, and do occasionally have minor leaks, with no issues. If you were to wet the bed pad nightly, and wash it often, I don't believe it would last.

One option could be to use the electric blanket over your normal sheet or comforter that way it's a little more protected.