Don't like the clamp!

Archives1

Staff member
My incontinence is evidently a byproduct of Parkinson's Disease. My brain just does not communicate with my bladder very well any more and uncontrollable urine releases are the result. I have been wearing Depends for the last three years and that is getting really expensive. I've been tried on several different medication, currently Tolteridine, none of which have worked. My urologist thought I should try a Cunningham clamp. I ordered it and have been using it for about two weeks now. It definitely stems the flow and has me down to one Depend a day, but it is starting to cause a sore on my penis and somewhat of a burning sensation when urine is released. Anybody have experience with these?

@chuckers1

Yes. Very short experience, very unpleasant. (I tried it on my own.) I've NEVER had a urologist suggest or even 'half-way' endorse this device. In reality, it's a tourniquet. Only in an emergency would you apply a tourniquet to a body appendage -- and then for a very limited time.

Those are my thoughts because I considered such a clamp dangerous.

Depends are worthless as far as protection. Try a good brief like a dry 24/7. Forget the cloth backed ones because they leak, atreatch, and have poor odor control.
Another option is a condom catheter and leg bag. They didn’t work for me because I’m too active.

The top diaper brands are:

Confidry 24/7
Better dry
Arena (level 4)

External catheter may be a good option, not all that cheap, but once you find one that fits well and has good adhesive, they are fool-proof, but some just never get there and give up. Worth a talk to your doc about for sure, at least you stay dry!

I’ve never tried using a clamp, but the idea sounds horrifying. I have a severely overactive bladder and frequent urge incontinence. I have found that a high-capacity diaper (such as BetterDry or ConfiDry 24/7) is the best way to handle my condition. These diapers are very much better than Attends. I rarely need to use more than three over a 24-hour period. Every urologist that I’ve ever seen has recommended that I use an external catheter instead of a diaper. I’ve tried several brands of external catheters over the years. They’re fiddly to use, but they work once you get the hang of how to apply and use them. But I very much prefer a diaper.

Thanks so much for your responses guys. I think the $45 I paid for the clamp is money ill spent, clamp will be retired. Heading now to Amazon to check out prices on diapers

Forget amazon. Try NorthShore care. They are cheap, fast with shipping, and also discrete with unmarked boxes.

I tried the external catheter buy my penis was too small for even the smallest on and I ended up setting myself at Walmart

I’m not a fan of any of the external devises as they either hurt or slow you down. Bags strapped to your leg move around allot and come loose or restrict your movement and the clamp is like Andy said a tourniquet and that can’t be a good idea!! So I’ve decided that diapers are the way I’ll be handling my IC. Yes they are expensive but it is what it is at this point.

I am using the clamp for short periods of time when I want to avoid leaks. For example, when my bladder goes through a bad period (more cramping) and I don't want to risk leaking after my shower. In moments like that, I put on the clamp and then dry myself off. I take it off again when I get to put on protection. The clamp is also great when being intimate with someone. So instead of rushing out of bed to put on protection or risking a leak, I can just clamp and be secure. However, I would never wear it for more than half an hour or so.

Chuck...,

I'm normally a three pad per day guy, after my prostatectomy. After over two years of effort, I've solved my leakage problem. My engineer partner and I this month, 11/9/18, filed for international patent protection for our external silicone device, which may be worn all day and/or all night. At least one of our volunteer testers has chosen to bypass artificial urinary sphincter surgery (AUS)at Mayo Clinic and instead will continue to use our product called Relax for Men. Functionally, it is a management system, because one should also wear a liner in the briefs for those stress leakage moments. That's the trade-off for the comfort and convenience factors. I have more info for you, if interested. Best wishes. Duane amhelp@comcast.net