Does Dilation help

Archives1

Staff member
I deal with retention daily, pain from spasms, and it ticks me off cause it wont let it through but in leaky leaky,, you know. I had some dilation done in the past, and it helped,, yes I leaked some more, but felt better. Anyone else had that done. I know there are those that go in for a sphincterotomy but not ready for that. And my goal or trade off would have to be the pain goes away.

Yes, I have had a few times before with a previous urologist, I did feel better with less pain, yes I leaked more but what the heck, I had less pain. They put up I think they are called Van Buren sounds.

Yes it is, and many times its temporary, but it take that pain far away for a while, My new urologist and his PA haven't agreed, but its ok, I don't know what's good

I had what was called self dilation after a bladder neck operation to stop the wound closing. I kept this up for several months and it seemed to work. I'm not sure that this is the same thing you are asking about as I used thicker than usual catheters.

physlink said:
I had what was called self dilation after a bladder neck operation to stop the wound closing. I kept this up for several months and it seemed to work. I'm not sure that this is the same thing you are asking about as I used thicker than usual catheters.

Yes, I had both self dilation and also went into the urology to have a large procedure done. They did help, but my new urologist started me on monthly use of a 24fr 30cc for about 10 days, then remove,only problem with this is, I cannot use smaller catheters anymore. They flat out refuse me the chance to go back to a 20 or 22 I have to say I still like that was it gives me a little control of my issues.

I have been using 18fr catheters. Anything smaller than this and I leak around the edge. My doctor says that I will probably not be able to use anything less than 18 in the future. Good luck with it all.

I do talk with my urologist, and often, she has not offered anything else other than Myrobetriq or Oxybutynin

Ask your Urologist for Dicyclomine 20 MG. It is for bladder spasms. Or, go to an herb store and get Shao Yao Gan Cao Tang (Peony and Licorice Combination). This has also worked for my bladder spasms. I rarely get the spasms any more, but when I do, I use one of these two.