Diapers with or without underwear on top?

Archives1

Staff member
I often wear boxer briefs over a diaper because it feels more secure, but I wonder if it encourages overspill at the legs?

For the men on the forum, do you use underwear on top of your diaper or not? In either case why do you choose that option.

Also for the men, do you tuck the leak guard next to your equipment and have the rest of the diaper onto your thigh or tuck everything into the gap between your equipment and thigh? Just curious if one is more popular than the other?

Funny what can occupy your mind when stuck at home!

Thanks, Phil

Hi @physlink, By talking about overspill at the legs do you mean squeeze-out? That is if your diaper is just about at its maximum capacity and you sit somewhere, that forces the urine out between your legs. A sure sign you need a change! To answer your question I would think that a particularly tight pair of underwear could very easily encourage squeeze out. If it's like a loose fitting pair of boxers then probably not.
I wear pull-ups and I don't wear any other underwear simply because there is no need to. But if I knew I were going to "dress out" like in a locker room or someplace semi-public then I might feel differently about wearing underwear over the pull-ups. Since I don't belong to a gym or anything like that at this point I see no need for underwear on top.

I don't wear anything over my diaper. There is no real need unless you can't hide it well enough in your pants. But really there is no reason to hide them if you feel secure about wearing them.

I am 4.5 weeks after Prostatectomy (I put this so that people know what category of incontinence I am dealing with).

I am using 4 pullups a day. I find that wearing my older (stretched) boxer-briefs after a few hours, it helps support the pullup without too much pressure for squeeze out. The boxer brief adds support to keep the pullup from sagging between the legs.

Occasionally, I may put a boxer brief over my diaper. It helps keep the diaper snug similar to what a onesie does without dealing with snaps. Most of the time It's just the diaper.

@billliveshere yes, squeeze out is an excellent description. I tend to flood rather than dribble so the liquid isn't always absorbed as quick as I would like.

I tend to wear boxers over, just makes me feel like I'm hiding it more(even though I'm probably not) just a personal security type measure I suppose

I use pad during day. At night underwear over my diaper. I find it helps keep diaper in place and less leaks. I move around a lot in my sleep

While my incontinence issues have been mainly bedwetting over the years, I've had issues with urge incontinence during the day for quite a while now. I had been wearing Depends RealFit pull-up briefs, with no underwear over them, and they worked pretty good. However, for several months now, I have had to go to disposable diapers, which give me more coverage.

But even disposables have problems. I've had tapes pop loose on some store brand diapers, and I've also had the plastic outer layer split open in the back on one diaper! (That was embarrassing... having "diaper fluff" falling out of my pant leg while walking thru a store!) Now days, if I'm going to be away from the house for a long period of time, I'll wear plastic pants over my disposable... This saves me from "Diaper Failure", gives an added level of leak protection, AND muffles the "crinkle" that many disposable diapers make.

Sometimes I wear a onesie. I have a compression onesie that helps when I really need discretion like at work. Out and about on weekends running errands I really don't care. If someone I don't even know sees my diaper I could care less.

I always wear PUL (plastic) pants over my diaper, they’ve saved me from the odd leak or from when I’ve had a tape pop.

I wear boxer briefs over my depends. I find I like the support and I have never had an issue with squeeze out.

HI @MikeD9876, It sounds like you've got everything covered! Having diaper fluff fall out of my pants while walking through a store would convert me for sure!

I usually wear either regular white tighties or the kind with the pouch for men. The pouch kind seems to allow the necessary initial swell during absorption yet let the liquid to travel too without the underwear being too tight. If the diaper is too tight or too loose, it will not perform as designed. Of course, if you wear a diaper and do anything other than just stand there, it won't perform as designed or advertised. Lol. BTW, forgive my frequent typos on my posts. I am right handed and gave a lot of lingering nerve damage and fine motor issues in that hand and arm.

Hey Phil,

I have seen evidence to suggest wearing over the top of a pad can hinder the fluid being distributed evenly. When I wore at work, I used to wear tight briefs over which I could pull down and up to easily use the toilet and the briefs held the pad securely. It can feel awful to have a tab pop off not to mention the worry that the pad will fall down into your trousers. I had that happen in public and I felt so humiliated.

Regards how to wear a pad, I have never thought about it to be honest, I just lay or stand and tape up. I do make sure I prime the pad before use and ensure my junk is between the leg guards.

If I had a male partner who more diapers, I’d probably prefer if he wore boxers or boxer briefs over the diapers. It’s almost impossible to find women’s panties large enough to cover a diaper. Panties are tiny; nevermind thongs. I realllllllllllly miss wearing cute panties. Sometimes now I wear giant old lady briefs over diapers, but that feels pretty restrictive and still doesn’t really disguise the top part of the diaper. I hate this part of wearing diapers - when the public sees them. Women’s jeans are generally low-cut and almost designed to show off underwear like thongs. This is terrible for diapers. Even with a belt, diapers poke up past the top of my pants. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’ll say, “Wear long shirts.” I do, even though that’s not my style. But it’s impossible to never have to bend over or stand up awkwardly or for a shirt to shift up. Oh well, life goes on, ever embarrassing and obnoxious.