Diapers or pull ups

Archives1

Staff member
I have worn diapers for some time now. Wife wants me to try pull ups for daytime use. I tried it was fine but how to change in public. Also any good brands to try she has the depends for women that I tried. Thanks

To change in public you could sit on toilet or against toilet wall stall and slowly tear down the sides of pull up and roll up and out in bag for disposal.

@Jayindiapers the problem with pull ups is that to change them your trousers will have to come off, sometimes shoes too, this isn't easy in a typical toilet cubicle, cheers Phil

I visualize a dirty stall when changing but I am using pullups...more comfortable. Since my incontinence is urinary I just used the pad inserts and switch them out. Very easily done and I never change the pullup until nightime for bed.

Using a pull-up requires pretty much undressing. Wish manufacturers would make one with tape tabs, or velcro. It would make changing much easier.

The changing issue with pull ups is indeed annoying and why I ended up using diapers as well. One solution I saw mentioned somewhere was to wear one pull up over another one, then when you take one off, the fresh one's still there to be used without having to remove shoes and trousers. I haven't tried it myself as I figured it would be really bulky.

My issue is pretty mild so I can get through a working day with a pull up (I use the Tena Premium Fit ones as they're 'Maxi' absorbency) and then I change into a diaper if I'm going on somewhere after work. Whilst they're less discreet, I figure it's less embarrassing if non-work friends see a glimpse of my diaper rather than work colleagues (It hasn't happened yet though!).

Another solution could be the belted products (like the Tena Flex), they're sort of like a halfway house between pull ups and diapers - basically instead of tabs there's a belt which fastens around your waist with velcro which you then attach the front of the pad. They can be unfastened and refastened as many times as you want so like pull ups, are great if you've got a mild issue. I found that the velcro tabs ended up digging into my skin though and they ride up high like regular diapers so you don't really gain anything discretion wise. I switched to taped diapers due to the skin issue and to be honest, I find that the ones with the two tape system are just as reliable in terms of being able to refasten them.

I agree that taped pull ups would be much better. It's frustrating to have to wear a diaper due to the changing issue.

I used to use a taped diaper and wore tight underpants over the top at work. Every 2 hours I would empty my bladder and it was easy to pull down and up again just like a pull up but it was a diaper so it was more absorbent and had the extra protection that a diaper has.

You might want to try the Depend refastenable. It goes on and off like a pull-up, but it also has Velcro tabs and sides that tear. You can tear the sides and put it on with the tabs, like a diaper if that is more convenient

They work pretty good I wish they had them on the shelves with the other ones for folks. They had a little more absorbent material in them too. Just don’t see them in store very often. Bet they are online for sure.

Depend refastenable is a good option, but where I am they aren't so readily available anymore (for some reason). That said, if you use a Depend refastenable for heavy wetting it may be wise to put in a booster pad or two. After all, Depends is a mass market product that doesn't really address those with sever wetting issues. Myself I prefer pull-ups as they are comfortable and appropriate for my absorbency level. I can put one on before leaving to go out for a few hours so I haven't needed to change one in a public restroom (at least not yet, but someday....) And if it turns out I need to wear diapers, then so be it. I'll do what it takes!

I wear the Real Fits when not sleeping at home. but a refasonable would be great. I do not flood when I wet so Real Fits work for me. But may not for others.

I use a cloth diaper and pul pant at night. I like the cloth because it doesn't leak if I sleep on my side.

During the day I use a disposable pull up. A cheap Assurance (Walmart!) pull up lasts me five or six hours, which is all I need. I find they are more comfortable for me than a tape on brief. As someone else mentioned, if more capacity is needed, a booster can be added.

While changing a pull up requires taking off my shoes and pants, it's a hassle for me to fasten the tape on briefs, as well. More than once I've wrecked the tapes or had the brief get torn. Maybe I'm just clumsy. But for that reason, I prefer a pull up.

I tried using the diapers with tape tabs quite a long time ago but if I had to readjust the fit and re-set the tabs it usually didn't work out. The outer plastic covering got torn and it was usually a hassle to retape and get it to stick and invariably I'd have to readjust them yet again! But fortunately they begin to come out with good pull-ups and I've stuck with them ever since. But if the companies that make the diaper-style would come up with a better system of tabs I would try those again.

I think it's perfectly doable to have a diaper with properly refastenable tabs as I tried a printed one which had velcro tabs. Part of me does wonder whether it's a case of it not being in the companies' interests as I imagine if the tapes were a lot better, people would probably end up buying fewer diapers. I've found the two/tape ones to be pretty good though. A plastic backed, taped pullup is probably my ideal product but doesn't seem to exist.

In other news, I've chased up my urology appointment so hopefully I won't be reliant on diapers and pull ups much longer.

I have seen a new pad which has landing markings with velcro fasteners on them. They are made by Rearz and are called Elite hybrid diapers. They look interesting and might help some people get the right fit by taping the diaper before putting on and using as a pull up?

They look similar to the Tykables one I tried. They're definitely the best system in terms of being secure and also refastenable. Barring the prints and the bulk, it's mainly the cost which stops them from being the only product I use and it seems Rearz is the same price-wise. I hope Tena eventually adopt a similar system. Certainly in terms of ease of changing, length of time between changes and odour protection, plastic backed nappies win hands down. If only the regular brands would do the velcro tabs they'd be the perfect product.

@Sci_Fi_Fan Have you tried Tena Flex?

They are a belted pad and have velcro fasteners either side at the front that connects to the belt around the waist. I personally did not like them because I found the velcro edges made my skin itchy. They might be good for you though? Abena do a belted "wing" Abri-wing I think they're called and they were better than Tena and at the time, were plastic backed.

Yeah, I've tried them but found that the velcro tabs ended up digging into my skin over time and got a rather nasty rash and small cut from that so stopped. I switched to the active fit slips and found them much better for my skin and found that, possibly due to the plastic backing that the pad lasted longer as I had pad degradation issues with the flex. It's a shame as I thought I'd found the perfect product before the skin issues. I've found that, whilst the tabs do go over time, the slips are just as good as the flex really. By the time the tabs really start to go, it's normally time for a change anyway. Plus, I've found that they work out a bit cheaper.

Elite hybrid diapers? Haven't heard of those but sound interesting. If they are made by Rearz aren't they Canadian? Don't know how easy it would be for shipping to "the States," or what the cost of shipping would be. tho'. I'll still look 'em up!