Diapers,briefs,nappies what you prefer.

@Jwh51 A couple of years ago, I hosted 3 friends at my house. We were going out to dinner and then a movie, and we started at my house for drinks. We were chatting and out of nowhere, my friend Bill looked at me and said “you wear diapers, don’t you?” After my heart skipped a few beats, I said “yeah, I’ve worn diapers for years.” Turns out he was having accidents and wanted more information on wearing diapers, as he saw them in his future. He had many health problems - cardiac, hep c, substance abuse - and he was paying the price. I gave him some disposable diapers from my stash and showed him my cloth diaper supply. And I gave him some web sites that sold diapers. No one thought anything about it and he appreciated the information. We were all in our 50s and familiar with health issues. His wife didn’t say a word - just listened. A bit awkward but I think everyone appreciated that I was open.

It was serious. Only 3 months later, my friend died.

I grew up in the 1960s and I don’t know what adults did then for urine incontinence, as disposable diapers (for infants only) were still in development. My mom kept me in Curity cloth diapers, which were probably the most popular baby diaper on the market. They were meant to be folded so they would fit me, even when I was a teen. She bought my plastic pants at Woolworths and they were extra large pants sold in the baby department. The only word them was diaper. And that’s what I wore.

I was always very embarrassed but at a certain point in my life, I decided that I just wasn’t going to be ashamed. People are open about their health issues in ways that were once unimanaginable. Why should I care what others think? For Pete’s sake. It’s only underwear. Some guys wear briefs. Some guys wear boxer shorts. I wear a diaper. Now if someone else is sensitive and private, I certainly understand, as I once was. What I don’t understand is why anyone cares what another person wears under his or her pants.

So that’s my life. I like wearing a diaper, and I don’t want to be any other way. I’m happy, secure, and comfortable in a diaper and I’m no longer embarrassed.

I call them my super hero 🦸‍♂️ pants.

But in all seriousness I just call them diapers. My mom calls them my “supplies” but all of my aides call them diapers so I just go with that.

@justej I love it!

When I was a kid, my superhero was the Lone Ranger.

Growing up, once a week, my mom played bridge and left the house right after dinner to join her bridge club. She got home past my bedtime. So I got my bedtime diaper right before dinner. Since no one wanted anything to do with a 5-6 year old boy in a diaper, I went in the basement and played by myself. I had a cowboy outfit - hat, vest, boots, gun, holster - so I’d put my cowboy outfit on, use a blanket as a cape, and I was the Lone Ranger in a diaper. My cat was my horse, Silver. I had an imaginary Tonto. We’d arrest bank robbers, fight off Indians, and make all kinds of rescues. There was always a damsel in distress, and after I rescued her, she’d always plant a big kiss on my cheek. “Awe, shucks” I’d exclaim. I had a blast in my diaper in the Wild West.

So the secret is out. The Lone Ranger wears a diaper. Haha! 😂🤣😂🤣😂

I was looking at AliExpress, trying to see if they had any good deals on diapers. They don’t. One of the items referred to tape on diapers as “zipper pants”

Watch the astonishment as you politely tell your doctor or family member you need a fresh pair of "zipper pants"!!

I just had my every 9-12 month botox injections into the sphincter muscles this morning. After I came out and woke up I was still weak and kinda out of it from the anesthesia, and when it came time to get dressed I asked the nurses to hand me my bag, and I opened it and pulled out one of my diapers (northshore megamax, the blue color ones).

They were all shocked about the color first, then the thickness, and lastly that I called them diapers. After some talking they helped me clean up (as i had wet their bed while I was out after the procedure), then helped me get the diaper on. They also remarked on how they seemed better than what the VA kept on hand (kendall wings).

Kinda odd as I havent ever had anyone help me before, and you could tell they didnt do it often. They got the fit and tape placement horrible lol.

I could tell they weren't used to a patient calling them diapers as they hesitated each time they started to say it lol. One of the nurses was an older black lady talking about she needed to get her some of them lol. Even got me to give the website. Which didnt take much to get me to give it to her.

My thing is I'm open and honest about it. I can laugh about it. I'm not really embarrassed anymore. I've come to realize it isn't something to be embarrassed about. People aren't embarrassed about most medical conditions (except STDs, people are totally still embarrassed about those), so why should we be. It's a medical condition. We cant control it. We use diaper to manage it. I refuse to be embarrassed like I was as a kid when I had theses issues.

@Draconic you had injections into the sphincter itself? Not the trigone or bladder? Normally with Botox they only treat the trigone and bladder. Please explain further as to this procedure.

I have horrible bladder spasms, and would benefit from these into the sphincter, but I don't want to lose further bladder control. Botox didn't work for me otherwise. I was dryer yes, but I had to up my CIC to over 10 times per day, I couldn't keep up, I went back too medications as the Botox wore off. Then went back too CIC 6-8 times per day. But still fighting the pain

@Boomersway I have no sensory feeling of my bladder at all, and alongside that I have detruser sphincter dyssynergia. Meaning that the detruser muscle contracts (though not very well), but the sphincter muscle stays closed.

Since I cant feel when my bladder is full, the sphincter wont cooperate with the detruser muscle, and I cant cath due to UTIs happening every single time they do botox injections to freeze the inner sphincter muscle in an open position.

This allows for my bladder to drain as it fills without having to worry about it overfilling and backing up into my kidneys.

@Draconic ,OOOOkk now I understand now, I was getting usually 4 UTI's per year, doing CIC. They were pressuring me too look at surgery. They went from colonization's, me not able too CIC. Then Coloplast came out with the new speedi cath, and its like night and day. I haven't had UTI going on 2 years! It is amazing, and its much quicker for me, sure I still have accidents and my bladder needs some time off from all this cathing, then they insert a Foley when I feel I want one for a week or two. If I could figure out my pain issues, I would.

Obviously you do not have the pain now, with the procedure they do, honestly I would do this too relieve the pain if my urologist could see it would work for me.

Thank you @Draconic for your detailed reply.

@Boomersway I still unfortunately feel the pain from UTIs. I refuse to do cic or indwelling anymore because it was constant UTIs. They tried to get me to do suprapubic cath, but I refuse that until it becomes absolutely necessary.

For now as long as the botox is working, I'll just wear diapers and go about my business.

On topic of pain for the first few days after they do the injections anytime my bladder empties it feels similar to the burning, cutting pain that I had with UTIs.

I think it is due to the injection spots and any abrasions from the cameras passing.

They have said I have bladder spasms (that the detruser basically looks like it is just spasming instead of fully contracting to empty), but since I have nerve damage I dont feel them.

In that way I guess I am lucky.

@Draconic ,yes here too, my old urologist's nurse called me and basically threaten me I had to have a Suprapubic or?? Yea, she never said what the or was. No matter, I did find a new urologist, I do work better with them.
Yes, I remember the pain too after the Botox procedure.

Is your pain neurological? Or from a injury.

I see your point on not having the pain with the spasms.
And yes, no matter what I do I need to still wear a diaper.

I normay dont have any pain. Just for the few days following the cystoscopy/botox injections, or if I have uti there is pain. Both are from abrasios along the urethra though. When I have had UTIs I also ended up with blood clots coming out (assuming from abrasions from the cath) and they were cutting the urethra just like a kidney stone would. For a few days after the procedure the urine causes a burning kind of pain because of the injection sites and any little abrasions the camera made.

I dont have any neurological pain. The nerves that were affected are basically dead to pain or any stimulation now. I dont feel that my bladder is full unless it gets to the max of like 300-350 ml. But even then it is only a sense of pressure pushing against the things around it. Like something is trying to push out of my body.

The first urologist team I had with the VA were pushing cath very very hard on me, and then the next one started pushing the suprapubic cath really hard, and then I got one that wanted to do a sphinterectomy. Finally I got a urologist that suggested trying the botox to open the bladder sphincter after i brought up this cool stint that i saw online that keeps the bladder sphincter open instead of doing a sphincterectomy. Unfortunately the VA wont do the whole stint thing even though it would be a once every like 2-5 years thing instead of a every 9-12 month thing like the botox

@Draconic I'm glad you have found some fixes for you. You have gone down the trails of medications, and all the other crap, and finally got to a place where you can feel better. I hope some day to get where you are.

Lol DiaperedFwankie as like me you are stating the obvious. I am wearing a diaper.

However I believe that some people have their own internal issues with calling them a diaper. Honestly I am a little bit sad for them as I don’t have the energy to take offence to whatever they are called, say whatever you want etc. I am fine with my self and I really do not care what people think of me. Lol.

To me I find it not useful in anyway to even concern oneself with other people comments or immaturity.

I wear cloth, pins, and plastic pants. I don’t think you can call that anything other than a diaper. I find a cloth diaper superior for both comfort and protection.

etamilbus said:
@Jaytee I see the exact opposite. I find the word nappy as having been made to be specifically an embarrassing word so I've never wanted to use it. I see diaper as a baby's article of clothing that keeps body waste contained until the child develops the muscles that contain the waste within. To me, protective underwear and pullups are simply descriptive of functions they have for people who are likely not babies. By saying I am using a euphemism makes it sound like it's being said that I can call it whatever I want but really they are still just diapers. I don't agree and I already indicated earlier another view of why someone would be inclined to claiming they wear "diapers".

So maybe it boils down to how embarrassment manifests itself in any given person's mind. But isn't it in a sense that everyone is running away from embarrassment? - when by my thinking - we are designed through evolution to keep inside until in a private place that which we (us here on this site) can't keep inside, hence embarrassment - which is a natural tool to trying to maintain that privacy. It is natural and ok to be embarrassed. That is why we are here in this safe place to learn and or get support in utilizing our embarrassment to our best advantage. Each person should call what they wear whatever feels most appropriate to themselves and understand that others find other words more appropriate - all for reasons that might appear to conflict with someone else's. We all know anyway that whatever it's called at any time, it's due to the condition of incontinence and that we are all doing our best to find a wide variety of ways to manage as best we can.

@etamilbus I totally get what you are saying. I don't call what I wear when needed pull-ups out of embarrassment but instead because that is what the package snd advertising calls them. I wear Depends Realfits. I buy them from the store with no shame or embarrassment. Go in, get my package and go to the counter to pay not trying to hide or wait until no one is in line. So I get your response but ofer that calling them other terms is unique to the person and we should not judge as to why they call their product what they do.