Diapers,briefs,nappies what you prefer.

Archives1

Staff member
What do people like their incontinence wear to be referred to I know that medical professionals don't like the use of diapers or nappies to describe incontinence wear or protection.

I just call mine what they are...diapers!!! No shame in saying you need to wear diapers. I've told my doctors that I wear diapers and even had a couple of them write a prescription for diapers for me and it has been no big deal. I even call my protective underwear-diapers.

Honestly, I could care less what they call them, and I really don't engage my medical team like that to find out appointment time is precious.

But my PCP calls any incontinence protection "depends"

@Dino here in the UK the medical people call them pads. I have even had one of them correct me when I said nappies! Cheers Phil

Incontinence wear makes sense to me.
Frankly trying to elevate the public mind out of diminishing and infantilizing what is clearly a common and growing medical problem for other wise dignified adults.
As you become a senior or mature adult you will hear a lot of diminutive and endearing expressions on one hand and conversely 50 is the new 30.
Choose to empower dignity in your medical system so your whole person will be treated with dignity.

I prefer and use the term "briefs".

Incontinence health in the United States is very behind the times in my opinion. If you go to get help from a Urologist, all they want to do is to apply all of these tests (revenue stream) and put you on medication. They give absolutely no help in managing your incontinence problems. They offer no opinions on what products to use, sanitation, or anything. The reason for this is that in the U.S. all healthcare must be tied to a revenue stream of some kind, therefore medication (big pharma), and surgery (hospital/doctor/practice income) are the only solutions they offer.

They do not really make any money from helping you to manage the problem, therefore, you have to go to websites like this (or the sites where you purchase medical supplies) to find all of your information.

I agree Coolwinter it baffles me that there are a great number of unpleasant tests with an end result of iffy medication and surgery if these are available to the consumer pati÷nts INSURANCE. Or a "label" so the consumer can now name what ails them but do nothing more than use relief products. Before comi g to this forum i did not know what incontinence OTC were available except grocery store brands.
What kind of person would go into this field with so little to show for results for reversing a medical issue?
In the meantime absolutely, another pharmacuetical money mill.

Early on in my marriage, my wife really had a hard time with my enuresis and just choose to call my protection a 'sleep aid' rather than a diaper, but after all these years - especially with medical professionals - I just call them diapers....it's just a word that accurately represents what it is, but sadly still has so much stigma around it :(

CoolWinter123: I think you nailed it - everything I've been trying to express. Thanks to MayMay,too.

The US Government/Congress made it extremely difficult to use the Medical Deduction, and, of course, you can only use it if you do the Long Form. So you have to beat the "Standard Deduction" in costs eligible for that Stardard Deduction test, totaling up all your deductions. Once you pass 70 1/2, that can be hard if you have medical insurance.
My question is: Are diapers a medical deduction? How about just pads? Do you have to get a prescription?
If you don't have insurance, or if you have only Medicare, has anyone figured out if you can use the cost of diapers?
If you are one of the people who gets a really big bill for incontinence medical costs, have you looked into the Income Tax issue? I used to have to deduct medical costs, and even the "little things" used to add up, so i had a catagory in my Quicken. Now my Credit Unions have a financial tool much the same as Quicken, so you can see your income and expenditures by type/catagory.

Do i need to start a new topic on this?

I just say diapers....it's the most accurate term. The word "briefs" was just made up to help some older people feel less embarrassed about it.

Changing the name of something doesn't change the reality of it, so I just call it what it is. I've come a long way in accepting my situation, and using alternative words for my diapers had nothing to do with it.

On the IRS website there is a medical deduction assistant that can help with your medical expenses for your sch A.

When it first became evident that I was incontinent, during one phone call to my doctor about it, I was speaking to a nurse - i believe - and she very supportively and strongly recommended I consider wearing protection - either pads or full underwear. I'm pretty sure that's how she put it. Later, while considering it and thinking how I'd deal with the embarrassment I said to myself "I'm not gunna wear diapers!". I quickly realized that that statement was said out of anger and in a sense was self scornful like I had become a baby and needed to be jeered at and put down. I realized that for myself, using the term "diaper" was a put down. I never used that term again. I know words are only words, but sometimes they get used in bad ways. I find the word diaper too closely connected to the young side of the spectrum where the protection is still a learning experience. I understand some people are ok with one word or another. I'm no longer interested in meds. What I've tried did not work. I dread surgery. Incontinence as is, I can live with. For me, as I said above, incontinence or protective underwear works for me. I'll live that way. I guess if I need to be more specific, I say pullups and pads.