DEPENDS pressed-on flimsy seams open up. Depends blame my stick-on pads!

Archives1

Staff member
If you use Depends cheap, flimsy junk diapers, you know how the "paper" (it's not cotton) starts to bunch up, and the microscopic thin cover over this "paper" is "sealed" with the most pathetic, weak seal imaginable.

By the end of the day, with NO leakage into the Depends because of the thick stick-on pads I use over these pieces of garbage, which I have 2 industrial paper towels for drying your hands in bathrooms, laying over each other, and then folded in half, provides SIX layers of paper towels, which I monitor every hour or two.

My incontinence from BPH surgery of a huge prostate is not that bad if I dehydrate myself at night and drink no water.

Yet, this piss-poor construction can't even stay together when it doesn't become wet.

Then, upon describing the sub-standard construction of their diapers to Depends, I'm told:

"Our diapers are not designed to wear with any additional pads. Wear them with nothing on top of them."

Oh, REALLY? With my milder incontinence, I'd still be changing them a dozen or more times a day!

Does anyone know what I am describing?

For me personally depends never had the level of absorption I needed. They also felt wet even when they were not really that wet.
I have found there are better options for me out there that absorb more and feel better. Do a better job of pulling the moister into the pad and not against my skin.
I think depends has a lot of market share because they can be purchased almost anywhere and they advertise more then other brands (almost everyone knows the name). But I believe there are better options. Most come from online providers.

Yes, I have used their product. I put the Depend Guard on the inside of my Depend diaper and secure it by only removing about an inch or so of the tape at the top of the Guard and an inch or so at the bottom of the Guard. This way I am able to replace the Guards several time during the day and still use the same diaper. Usually by the third Guard the inside of the diaper starts to come apart. Then it's about time for a new diaper and Guard and off to bed for the evening. Lately my leaking has improved when I can put just the Guard on the inside of a tight fitting brief. This is more comfortable for me and not as hot as the Depends Diaper. Right now I am able to make it through the day with three guard changes and hoping for improvement. I finally found a physical therapist and will start with my first appointment 10-12. Keep you head up it gets better...Rayl in Arizona

@Rayl

What brand(s) are not made with "paper" as the filling, and have more than a liner that is so thin, probably 1/5 the thickness of thin copy paper?

Cost is a factor. I pay $40 for 84 Depends at Costco. Unless another brand is really made durable, I'm not going to pay twice the price.

You have a clever idea of just using just one inch at both the top and bottom of the stick-on area, while leaving the rest of the strip covering the adhesive intact, so you can remove it.

However, I can't imagine that the pad would be very secured to the diaper with so little of the pad adhered to the diaper.

The Depends "Guards for Men" you use are very similar looking to the ones I get for free from my Medicare Advantage plan.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about in replacing the Guard. You have to do it very carefully because you'll just tear open the cheesy liner.

You mentioned using a tight fitting brief. It sounds like you are talking about store underwear. I have a few "panties" I never used, but they are thinner and cheaper than underwear.

Do you then find that all the urine goes into the pad, and not soaking your underwear? I've had the problem as a side-sleeper at night, where some of the time the urine runs over the paper towels and the pad, and go into the diaper, which basically destroys it.

I am not leaking that much at night and I too am a side sleeper. My medicare plan would not pay for any pads. Can you give me some additional info on that. I have a Blue Cross Advantage plan for the medicare. The tight fitting briefs were also purchased at Costco brand Champion and bought a size down. Rayl

@Rayl

Remember that I have a Medicare Advantage plan through Humana. Different than having straight Medicare.

Yes, I know about Champion briefs from Costco.

Try northshore company they are very helpful will offer free samples to find a good choice and far superior products

@olwi, I agree that it's high time to try something else! Are these briefs you're talking about or pull-ons? Depend appeals to the mass market who is looking for something not all that expensive and they can be found virtually anywhere! So that would tell me for heavier needs their absorption is not all that great. For more maximum absorbency I think NorthShore, as Maymay pointed out above, would be a much better choice. I don't think they are flimsy junk diapers at all! It'll be worth it to give them a try!

I'm pretty sure that is the standard excuse. Sort of "You violated the warrantee", whether whatever you did had anything to with it or not. No matter what their ads say. The typical lack-of-ethics.
I appreciate that cost is a concern; but to us, not them. I recommend MayMay's idea, and some others besides Northshore will provide samples.
Rayl has another good idea.
If you come up with another answer, please let us know!
I have yet to find out if diapers can be tax-deductible under the IRS Medical Deduction rules, but not all of us can use the Med Deduction, anyway. Since Medicare actually supplies them (even if they are crap), at the very least that cost should apply to your deductible, although you might have to provide a Doctors Rx for a different brand to get it applied.
I'm just brainstorming for an answer, as we all are.
Stay Safe.

@AlasSouth

Actually, Depends is pretty easy to get a "Visa" card you can use anywhere. It must cost them so little to make this junk, that they have this policy.

I think you are mistaken about Medicare paying for diapers. A simple Google search comes up with multiple results, such as this one:

"Medicare recipients with incontinence will only be covered for treatments that are deemed “medically necessary.” Because adult diapers, pads and other supplies are not classified as medically necessary, Medicare does not pay for Depends or other incontinence supplies."

See how screwed up Medicare is? "Not classified as medically necessary."

My Medicare Advantage plan provides quarterly allowances for mostly junk, and the only diaper they offer is one of those horrid "L" types with straps that don't hold, and are totally worthless. I do, however, get quality stick-on pads from them. They also offer some incontinence "underwear" but they are probably garbage, as I got a few samples to take home after surgery, and any underwear brand is leagues better.

Defends diapers were top notch diapers when they first came out in the early 80's. The quality has deteriorated tremendously over the years. Check with the customer service department of the supply company you choose to deal with. They will give you guidance on the proper products to use.

@billliveshere

I looked up the Northshore, and they are really expensive. I looked up the price for their FlexSupreme which are near, but not at the top, of the range and they are $75 + shipping for 56 diapers.

That's probably close to $85 with shipping. If they were studependous, I might consider them, but I doubt it. Nothing is said about what the FILLING is made out of, which to me indicates PAPER. They'd brag about it if they used cotton.

All these companies just want to take advantage of people who need diapers, and the bottom line is how much money can they make.

And, yes, of course I use the pull-up Fit-Flex Depends for Men with an elastic band, that is also cheaply made.

Olwi: Yeah, you are right, but some here seem to have managed to get a doctor to prescribe them as "medically necessary". Not sure if there was more to it, not sure if it applies to people working or retired or both.
My workplace (I'm retired) has what I call an enhanced "Fake Medicare Part D" - an eggwhip (in the vernacular). We get Meds & supplies beyond the usual Medicare, by law. When the hospital sent me home from my last operation, they included an Rx for home care & supplies. To be honest, I'm not sure what was specifically covered by what or who, as we are "double-covered" by private insurance, with Medicare being primary. How anyone keeps those EOBs straight & understands them is beyond me. I've been down to pads for about 2 years, now.
So if I led anyone astray, I apologize. Like I said, I'm brainstorming (with a feeble excuse for a brain).

I’ve had several items covered by my private insurance when deemed “medically necessary,” such as a walker, diapers, knee braces, etc. I haven’t had Medicare (yet) so I’m not sure if/how they offer similar assistance.

I hear what you are all saying about depends and other diapers that medicare pays for. I used to get diapers from medicaid, until I got disability insurance ssd. I know get diapers from north shore diapers and it cost me about $85.00. it might be alot but it's worth it. There are many medical supply stores online that do sell diapers. Just search adult diapers or Amazon. Hope this helps.

I saw Depend Night Defense mentioned several times. I use the Real Fits for when not home as a just in case I bedwet. As mentioned in previous posts I don't pee a flood when I bedwet so they have worked for me so far.

Curious as to how the night defense are different from the RealFits and if they really are better for bedwetting. I assume by the name that they are better for night use but I have not tried them yet as I have my RealFits for now.

Any info on them appreciated.

Thanks,

JT

You can also go the home and scroll through the thread titles there are many with the title diapers or affordable diapers
You might want to try another over the counter brand than depends. My mother swore atena was best. Maximum