Decisions.

Archives1

Staff member
Talked to my Axonics rep again this morning. Monday I have to go into the ER no matter if we are going through with the final implant or not.

The decision on if the final implant is worth it will be made the same day.

What I have found is that it is doing nothing for my bladder. For my bowels, it is just giving me a bit more warning but not enough to stop accidents so I do not know if it is worth it.

One thing I also found is that it needs to be set higher depending on what I am doing so then when I stand up it is too strong and can even cause an instant headache. Not, okay.

The rep is going to have me try the other program tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

The big, what if, is that there are more settings on the final implant than this trial one but again I do not know if it is worth it.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

@ThatFLGuy, It is your body. I don't understand why the rep. and doctors are giving you such a limited amount of time. I know you mentioned something about the limited amount of time due to some factors. Nevertheless, it makes no sense to me.

Does the surgeon have the option to have you do a Stage 1 test of the Medtronic Interstim device? If so, can you be given additional time to see about getting that to see if it will help? It seems to me if the Axonic isn't helping maybe the Medtronic Interstim would be worth a try.

I feel you're being unnecessarily pressured. Even I'm irritated that that is being done to you. Sorry if this seems like a rant. Maybe it is.

fleemoore

My insurance covers all but 10k of the cost .

Meaning I'd have to come up with the remaining 10k to have the stimulator put in .

Although my urologist tightly recommends getting it but that 10k price tag is standing smack dab in the middle of my path.

And if it was up to my urologist he could care less about the 10k I'd have to pay .

Meaning he'd put in the stimulator.

But it's the hospital that can't/won't work with us on that pesky 10k.

@fleemoore

The shorter time is because I have multiple accidents both bowel and bladder each day and I can not shower or bathe with this implant. Also they figured that I would either get immediate results or it would be a guessing game if it is right for me.

I still don't know.

I do know that with out really good wipes I would be in big trouble with rashes already but I keep clean.

Don't know yet but Monday I will take my doctors recommended with what I have seen and make a choice.

The only other option is an ostomy and we are trying everything else but we are out of options so.

@compwiz878 That is soooooooooo sad about the $10k, sorry to hear that. Reminds me of trying to get Botox paid for!

@compwiz878, I am so sorry also that our health issues are bad enough to deal with without having to pay a fortune too! Please be very sure of your decision because as you well know, there is no guarantee as to results. I don’t want to discourage you with my Peripheral Nerve Stimulator story but I am praying my impending removal of mine (it was for back/si joint pain.) will go well. It worked well for two weeks then started to migrate and had to be surgically reimplanted. Shortly there after, I lost control of my bladder after no problems ever. They think it migrated again and affected not only my bladder nerves but my renal nerves too. I am really afraid to have it removed but I don’t know where it will go next if I don’t. Please check to see if yours will have any migration problems. I am praying for you and know that whatever you decide will be right for you.