Cystoscopy

Archives1

Staff member
I have been needing to get a Cystocopy for a few years. I balked because the original one was over 4,000$! I found out it was because they wanted to put me asleep. I found a few local Urologists who can preform them for just a few hundred. My guess is that it's while I am awake.

How bad will this hurt? The worst I uave had sonfar has been urodynamic screening.

@lorumipsum for me the cystoscopies have been much more bearable than urodynamics. I had a cystoscopy a few weeks ago and it was over in a few minutes. They didn't take any samples. Cheers Phil

this past november i had it done. i found the pain significant at the moment he began but actually much less than i thought once it was underway. they do use lidocaine so that helps lessen the pain. the biggest problem is that i felt like i had an infection for the next couple weeks. who knows, maybe i did. but if so, it went away on its own. i recall having it done a few years ago with much less pain. maybe it was the skill/attitude of the doctor.

When I had mine they didn't put me to sleep not any pain just discomfort. He gave me antibiotics before the test

I didn’t have any aesthetic for mine. It was one of the most painful things I’ve been conscious for. I’d take someone’s hand to squeeze, or a washcloth to bite down on. But it is bearable, not worth $4,000. It’s also humiliating, weirder and worse than any gynecological procedure I’ve had, which is quite a few. Good luck.

Flexible scope wasn’t bad but the rigid scope used for the Botox was very uncomfortable going through the prostate and such. The Lidocane helped some but still uncomfortable.

I didn’t find the cystocopy really painful so much as it was uncomfortable. The urodynamics testing was humiliating and something I hope I never have again.

Not a biggy. You just pucker more because ofvthe invasion aspect, not really psinful at all. Go buy yourself a dozen rose afterwards

Oh they used Lidocaine, but it didn’t do much. I agree that Botox hurts worse than the cystoscope. The cystoscope is really worth it because it gives your doctor so much data. Urodynamics hurts. I pinched my arm as hard as I could to try distract/change the pain to something I was on charge of. That usually helps, like, at the dentist, but not at the urologist.

I will have one done on June 2nd. Had one done last year because they found microscopic blood in my urine. Didn't hurt. Numbed the head of penis with lidocaine. Test was over in 10 minutes or less. Was given one antibiotic to take before I left. No pain or after effects. Resumed normal activities immediately. Had same issues in March this year, but because of the coronavirus issues, all tests were pushed back. Don't know why I need this test. Everything has cleared up. Will keep all updated.

I've had 2 and the first one they used Lidnocaine and it burnt the inside of my penis. They just used a lot of lube for the second one and it is just uncomfortable, particularly getting past the prostate and bladder neck sphincter. Once they're in, the worst is over really.

If they use a flexible scope for guys it isn’t too bad. The old fashioned straight metal scope not a fan.

as others have said...flex scope is more uncomfortable than painful. It's a sucky experience but shouldn't cause too much pain.

I am male and I suspect our plumbing makes it harder on us, and to me it wasnt that bad. However, I understand ypur wanting to compare apple to apple

Hi Jmoss,
Glad you were able to see the urologist. Urodynamic tests are a little different for sure but the info they gain helps with treatment options. I know the filling up part felt weird for sure and trying to pee around the catheters was hard even though they were so thin.
The one thing I can say I appreciated was both the techs were wonderful and the doctor used the flexible cystoscope so it hurt much less than the rigid ones.
If they recommend Botox injections and they give an option to put you out I say take the offer. One of the regulars on here, her name is Snow can tell you how it feels for a female, I can only say as a guy those little needle pricks aren’t comfortable neither is the straight scope when they are trying to get it though the curve going around the prostate. The Botox does help allot with urges and it’s good for 4-6 months then you need another round. If you have an FSA or HSA make sure you check and see if you need a medically necessary form signed by the doctor before the procedure so you don’t get a rejection letter and then have you account frozen. I’m still trying to get mine straightened out. Wish the doctor would have said something ahead of time it may be questioned because it’s Botox. You just need the signed form your bank uses. Especially Bank of America.
Hope this helps and hope they get you taken care of.
Jim