Covid and night time Enuresis

Archives1

Staff member
Hi - I'm new here and first time post. Has anyone had Covid and experienced worse incontinence since? I've had night time issues for a while - but it was occasional (1 or 2 episodes / week). Since I had Covid (didn't have it bad / was not hospitalized) I've had issues every night and a couple during the day. Would love to hear if anyone else thinks its related to "long Covid"

Short answer: yes. I used to tell myself,
"At least it doesn't happen at night." Then I got covid. Now it's 24/7. I've done some research and if you have a few moments look back on other posts. Most definitely I have personally noticed an awful increase in my incontinence after covid. Hang in there. You have come to a really great place with really fantastic people. You can ask and share anything here I have found. No judgement, or embarrassment ever found. Feel free to ask and talk about anything as these folks have heard it all and have walked the walk. Welcome and all the best to you.

I've read n other on line it can be a side effect of Covid
Others here have seen more incontinence after COVID also

I just got over Covid and I noticed my bladder was voiding more than usual during my sleep but I couldn't tell if it was related to the medication I was taking or actual Covid.

sbaughman001 said:
Hi - I'm new here and first time post. Has anyone had Covid and experienced worse incontinence since? I've had night time issues for a while - but it was occasional (1 or 2 episodes / week). Since I had Covid (didn't have it bad / was not hospitalized) I've had issues every night and a couple during the day. Would love to hear if anyone else thinks its related to "long Covid"

I have had Over Active Bladder all my life - am 76 - I have not had Covid, but date much more serious lack of control to the first vaccination I had. No idea if it was co-incidence - I did report it.

I had covid a very mild case and my night time wetting didn't increase but my daytime incontinence seemed worse for quite a while. Mind I was left with a cough and this meant I was wetting while coughing.

Maymay941 said:
I've read n other on line it can be a side effect of Covid
Others here have seen more incontinence after COVID also

Yes! This.

I remember I suffered from continuous over active bladder shy of the pandemic. I ended up getting really sick for a week (I'm a firm believer people were getting COVID shy of the pandemic) and ended up having to go to the hospital twice for IV fluids because I was so dehydrated and suffered from massive amounts of leg pain.

It seemed after that experience is when I suffered from a Kidney Stone attack; possibly due to the flushing of my kidneys or being sick - and then right when the pandemic started happening is when I started to experience daytime incontinence episodes and my Nocturnal enuresis worsened.

How do I know that? Because I remember laying in bed; and at that time - I did not want to wear a diaper/protection but did so anyway (I was really hard on myself) and I was still at work at the time but i remember watching on the news from our governor at the time all the people who were getting accepted into unemployment (there was no denials at the time) would eventually be reviewed post COVID and then collected back on.

In short, everybody who falsified it - would eventually have to pay it back.

What a time we lived in where nobody knew what was going on with the world. But ever since then MayMay - my Incontinence urgency and condition day and night has yet to improve.

And I think to myself - what a wonderful world.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Hi sbaughman,
Welcome to the forum. I’ve had PNE and OAB all my life but haven’t had any daytime issues until catching Covid. Before the vax was out, I had Covid back in 2020 with moderate symptoms that didn’t need hospitalization. I had absolutely no taste or smell for 6 months or so following the initial infection along with a few other symptoms characteristic of Long Covid. Gradually started seeing a little taste and smell come back along with some symptom improvement over the 6-12 month period following infection. Have plateaued out with maybe 50% of taste and smell back; still dealing with fatigue and other long Covid symptoms today.

One of the symptoms has been a complete loss of bladder control since day one of infection. I have a faint urge seconds before my bladder empties but never get a sensation that I have a full bladder, that it’s time to go, or that I can hold it or stop once it starts. Since Covid, my bladder has been on autopilot. Thankfully I haven’t had any retention issues and with as far along as this is, doctors call this my new normal and to reevaluate for changes in a few years. They suspect nerve or brain damage from the infection, but I didn’t explore further with no real fixes available beyond prescriptions or surgery. More so just monitoring my urinary system for any conditions that could jeopardize my kidneys. With the newness of the virus, they’re more interested in a wait and see approach for now. Maybe there will be improvements in the years ahead.

There are multiple studies published to date that call out bladder control issues and incontinence as symptoms of Covid and relating to long Covid, so I don’t really feel as odd for having to deal with this in my early 40’s. I know there are a host of others dealing with this, and much worse, and I’m thankful that I’ve survived and lead a relatively normal life post Covid.

Feel free to ask questions. This is a great place to gain wisdom from others dealing with the same issues you may be experiencing.

Best, Jetskier

Jetskier said:
Hi sbaughman,
Welcome to the forum. I’ve had PNE and OAB all my life but haven’t had any daytime issues until catching Covid. Before the vax was out, I had Covid back in 2020 with moderate symptoms that didn’t need hospitalization. I had absolutely no taste or smell for 6 months or so following the initial infection along with a few other symptoms characteristic of Long Covid. Gradually started seeing a little taste and smell come back along with some symptom improvement over the 6-12 month period following infection. Have plateaued out with maybe 50% of taste and smell back; still dealing with fatigue and other long Covid symptoms today.

One of the symptoms has been a complete loss of bladder control since day one of infection. I have a faint urge seconds before my bladder empties but never get a sensation that I have a full bladder, that it’s time to go, or that I can hold it or stop once it starts. Since Covid, my bladder has been on autopilot. Thankfully I haven’t had any retention issues and with as far along as this is, doctors call this my new normal and to reevaluate for changes in a few years. They suspect nerve or brain damage from the infection, but I didn’t explore further with no real fixes available beyond prescriptions or surgery. More so just monitoring my urinary system for any conditions that could jeopardize my kidneys. With the newness of the virus, they’re more interested in a wait and see approach for now. Maybe there will be improvements in the years ahead.

There are multiple studies published to date that call out bladder control issues and incontinence as symptoms of Covid and relating to long Covid, so I don’t really feel as odd for having to deal with this in my early 40’s. I know there are a host of others dealing with this, and much worse, and I’m thankful that I’ve survived and lead a relatively normal life post Covid.

Feel free to ask questions. This is a great place to gain wisdom from others dealing with the same issues you may be experiencing.

Best, Jetskier

I really resonated with this. Have you found that due to the time during COVID that you experienced a more difficult time mentally handling your continence issues due to the isolation of the pandemic?

It was a situation all rolled into one with me. During the pandemic; I was a victim of an internet act known as "catfishing" - and the isolation of the pandemic and bladder continence issues being isolated in my apartment made for a bad mix. Not to mention I did not have the support factor of family at the time - I found myself hurting really bad PTSD and mental wise where I mentally could not accept my bladder condition.

All in all; it's been a situation where I've had to deal with continuously as since my condition still has not improved - the old saying goes "Life goes on" - I've had to make strides to get back into the workplace to pay bills but being a young man with continence issues - I had a doctor even recommend to see if I could go on some sort of disability.

However, I do not want to just "give up" - incontinence and diapers be damned. I have to continue to make an effort regardless of the forces I have working against me.

I hope you have seen improvements since moving last the isolation of the main pandemic. If you still are in need of emotional support or need someone to talk to ; as you've said - this is a great place to come hang out and if you don't have anyone to talk to - feel free to message/ping me.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Hi all -

Thanks so much for all the responses - I was suspect that Covid may have something to do with it, but it sounded strange to me. Sounds like there is some justification out there for me thinking it might - thanks so much. Heading to the Urologist on Tuesday - we'll see what he has to say about it. He is a new doctor to me and I hate like hell going through the back ground of life long bed wetter and all. Oh well.

The 2nd COVID VACCINATION caused severe daily Migraines, which I'm still dealing with. Haven't found an antidote yet. So, for all things COVID there seem to be complications.

This has exactly happened to me pre getting Covid I was dry at night with occasional leaks during the day. But as soon as Covid started my daytime wetting has been to a point I’ve had to go back to wearing diapers as pads worry me about being able to contain the surges and have had to go back to wearing diapers at night for bedwetting.

Thanks for all the responses. So - its interesting, I guess the medical community is still not all together as to whether Covid could have anything to do with it. Went to a new Urologist this week - when I asked if there could be any correlation, he really dismissed it and asked if I was using cold medicine while I had Covid. I did use cold medicine - but the problem started weeks after a negative test and wasn't using cold medicine any longer. That was the end of the discussion around Covid - I thought it was odd.

Sbaughman001, my wife & I both just had covid, we both got the paxlovid & it really helped us get over it faster, although I did get the rebound covid about 6 days after feeling better & being over it. My wife had to use panty liners because she had more difficulty holding her urine until she could get to the restroom, & I had a much harder time with my fecal incontinence. I plan to see my GI doc in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.

I have never thought about it before, but my issues have all started after COVID came around. I have never been diagnosed with COVID, but in Feb 2020 I had the nastiest 'Flu' I had ever had. Ever since then I periodically notice things that are frequently associated with long haul COVID such as brain fog and persistent cough.

@Vettesfan86 the exact same thing happened to me with a really nasty flu preceding my incontinence on Feb 2020. No idea if it really was Covid, as I think I had it just before we started PCR testing.