Could this be something different?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi, I’m a 55yr old lady. I was told I have IBS in 2005 and started to have large stools. As time went on I got a different doctor and told her about frequently having to urinate, I was put on detrol la and told I’ve stress urinary incontinence. Now I’m on oxybutin. I’ve since learned I have a lot of food allergies that cause upset stomach and large diarrhea stools. My actual worst problem now is I have odors in my anus with out a stool or passage of gas , no matter how many times I wipe. I wear pads, but there’s never anything to see. But people comment on the smell often!and I check, I cannot see anything but there’s an awful smell. Could this be something other fecal I continence, which I was also told I have? I shower intensely, I use continelle wipes and tissue repeatedly after my shower! Minutes after wiping the smell is back. I’m in and out of public restrooms all day while out and about, to no avail! I would like some opinions or feedback from people who have this same problem.

There are pills you can take to control (eliminate?)the odor. Others here can tell you the actual name of this medication; I hope this works for you.

Shelly,

A couple possibilities come to mind. Highest possibility is rectal incontinence with unnoticed passage of gas. Also could be reproductive system related, like bad or atypical vaginitis. If you've had any work done down there like colorectal surgery or a hysterectomy or radiation, I'd suspect a colocutaneous fistula (an abnormal tube formation between somewhere on your skin and colon.) Last and certainly not highest on the differential but my personal favorite is a rectovaginal or rectovesical fistula (communication between vagina/urinary bladder and colon). Any vaginal changes? Itching? Discharge? Pain? UTIs? This is a possibility with the presence of long term irritation and inflammation of your GI tract as suggested by the abnormal bowel habits. How thorough was your evaluation leading to your IBS diagnosis? Crohn's presents with similar symptoms.

Also the anticholinergics that you are taking for your urinary issues tend to mess with GI function, and though there aren't any published cases that I can find, tweaking those doses might do something. Any bad dry mouth?

If you were my sister I would tell you to go see your gynecologist because you should be doing that anyway, and if there's nothing on pelvic exam then ask for a vaginal culture to look for colonic bacteria. At the same time, you should ask your PCP for referral to GI for re-evaluation of your bowel symptoms. You probably should start getting screening colonoscopies anyway.

None of this should be taken as medical advice as I am not a doctor.

i wish you well in getting an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment. to say this is challenging is a serious understatement.