Continence and PTSD

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys,

This afternoon I suppose you could say I was "triggered". I had a good friend of mine reach out to myself with a funny screenshot of what are called "memes" - saying your Rockstar Name is the color of your underwear and the last thing you ate.

Yellow Tagalongs anybody? Didn't say anything - just kinda chuckled and went to the next message.

Well; she has kids and she brought up what our generations version of Paw Patrol would be. So immediately I thought of Blues Clues because being raised in the late 90s and early 2000s; it would have just made sense. That or Sesame Street.

Well anyway, she said Bob the Builder because of the storyline - so I piped back in that case Dora the Explorer kind of has a storyline - but then it was like a flashback hit me. And I just picked up and left the conversation because it just brought back bad memories.

Well anyway - I'm left jotting down my feelings because i remember at the babysitters house and growing up prior to my Dad's second marriage - having accidents as a kid; and I had so many of them. But having to deal with the trauma of being made fun of or talked down to - brought a wave of bad memories into my brain when talking with her because it reminded myself of my current medical situation but also my past.

Like in the book - "The Body Keeps The Score". It's funny how mentioning one tv show just clicks on the recording button of your brain. Sitting on the couch all over again in the back den.

I hated it - every minute of it because when your little; you don't want to have episodes. But you can't control it - and it just makes me that more upset as an adult suffering from severe urgency and bladder spasms that it's those feelings that bring back the negative emotions of my childhood.

Anyway, I have a male support group I usually open up about this kind of stuff to but I haven't truly opened up about my feelings and emotions lately on here - just recent things going on in my day to day life.

It's good to "check in" every once in a while I suppose with your emotions and mental health. In good news; I have been playing Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Sega on my Xbox; so that is a positive - the graphics are insane! I was kinda disappointed that less companies are enhancing games for Xbox One X due to the new generation of consoles (Series S and Series X) - but I was happily surprised to see my console upgraded the resolution and it supports 4k and HDR.

So trying to think of the positives in that sense to keep my mind away from bad memories.

Does anybody else can relate to continence related PTSD?

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

I can't, but I've always wondered how a parent can justify using humiliation, or threats, or punishments (physical or otherwise) to try to force change in behaviour upon a child when it isn't a behavioural issue to begin with. A parent's responsibility is to nurture and support that child. It's what they signed on for when they made that child...

I don't have any extremely negative issues due to parental issues (my Dad could/can get a bit embarrassed though) and sorry as always to hear about your experiences - they sound awful. I did wet the bed as a kid at a sleepover when I was ten and for years afterwards I was always terrified of wetting the bed at someone's house or when on a school trip and given I still had intermittent bedwetting episodes well into my teens these fears weren't completely unfounded. Hiding day accidents was also the norm throughout my life until I started wearing protection.

Pleased the Series X is good! Just upgraded to a new desktop and I've really noticed the step up in graphics - Cyberpunk 2077 looks phenomenal - started a new playthrough the other day. Really excited for Hogwarts Legacy. I'm still playing in 1080p - at some point I want to upgrade to an ultra wide for my sim racing stuff but I'm happy with things at the moment.

@Honeeecombs Yes I feel what you're saying although I am not diagnosed with any PTSD. I was just discussing it briefly with my best friend on Sunday after I almost had an accident three times while we are at a concert. I told her I have a lot of bad memories of accidents and that is why it was hard to tell her when I had to go because I immediately thought I was going to get laughed at. So she suggested I use a code word because I couldn't get my words out to tell her hurry up before I have an accident. I thought she was going to yell at me for not speaking up sooner but she didn't