Condom Catheters

I use them but don’t have a retraction problem. A friend who suggested I try them does have that issue and was frustrated with them until he tried this model. They are the shortest ones and have the glue all the way to the tip. This insures they stay on even if you retract.

47e790f32cbae365cd91640c719accc2.png

Klew11. There is so much information on the company websites it's difficult to sort through the everything. Do you know about what the cost is for each item. I'm.hoping an item like this can help me make the healing process of my prostatectomy a little less disruptive.

With these devices, you have to wear a leg bag, or some other devices to catch the urine. Men's liberty,as far as I know, doesn't hold much. I investigated it a few years ago and decided to stay with diapers and plastic pants.

@TiredofBeingWet

A lot of samples are free to begin with. I have requested them more than once from different suppliers and manufacturers repeatedly. My insurance pays for them and for most part. They also cover two leg bags and two night bags per month. Online at Amazon, etc. they go for $1-2 each, but less if you buy quantity. Google CONDOM CATHETERS FOR MEN.

My search for an external catheter continues. After receiving some samples, I found the condum catheter won't work for me, so does anyone have experience with the Liberty style external catheter? It only attaches to the head of the Penis. Also, what do you use to remove the catheter.

Hi I am not familiar with the Liberty Condom . I am assuming it has an adhesive to fix in place . All the suppliers have an adhesive spray that helps release the adhesion . Feels a bit like removing an elastaplast from you arm or similar

My understanding is that the men's liberty needs more attention as it doesn't hold that much urine. Probably needing draining or replacing several times a day. I tried it, but I didn't care for it. You have to be careful it doesn't slip off, or you may get the surprise of your life.

Men's Liberty is not a condum catheter. The condum style would no longer work for me due to my penis going turtle (I think due to too many past internal catheters) The men's liberty does have a small bag, which concerned me. I can add a second bag onto the first if needed. I'm curious if anyone had tried this type, and how well it stayed in place.

@TiredofBeingWet Don't give up your search for a Condom Catheter /External Catheter, I call them (EC's), that works for you. Message or email me and I am more than willing to go into detail. I also tried the Liberty's and liked them. But went on to find a standard EC that works better for me. I can start another post so as not to pirate this posting. It can take awhile to find an EC that works, but once you have figured it out, trust me you get your life and confidence back.

1) MOST IMPORTANT is to find a Dr. that will patiently work with you.
2)Next thing to do is start a daily log. What you put on, size, type, material of EC, manufacturer, and any other info you think might be pertinent like type/style of leg bag. Rate those products. It did not take me long to see patterns emerge. I found silicone felt and works better for me. Latex gave me sores.
3)Download and use the sizing gauge that the manufactures post online. That will give you a place to start so you can ask for EC's in that size range. There is no point receiving a 35 or 41mm when you are a 23-25mm.
4)Do not be afraid to ask for free samples from the many manufactures. Include leg and night bags. There are so many to choose from, don't settle until you are comfortable. There are even pleated leg bags that eliminate the sloshing noises.
5)There are showers and growers and some of us are turtles... the EC's for one will not work for the other. Ask for longer or shorter samples. The adhesive is placed forward on some and to the rear on others. It gets confusing... so the log really helps.
6)Just because you are trying EC's doesn't mean you have to put your diapers aside. I wore diapers and pads until I was confident that I had it figured out.
7)One of my biggest problems was the soap I was using. Change to a soap like Ivory that doesn't have all the oils and lotions in it. The oils and lotions will interfere with the adhesive, causing premature failure.
8)Change your EC ever 24hrs to look for any skin problems.

Do not get discouraged. It may take time. But in the long run it is well worth the time spent so you are dry and odor free.

At 69 I still work most days as a landscaper. I also snow plow sidewalks in the winter. Both jobs put me in view of the public. The EC's have given me back the ability to work and recreate. I again enjoy driving on vacations without worry. It was more than well worth the time I spent finding what works for me. My health is better because I am better hydrated. My sleep is better because I no longer get wet at night. The other thing I have found is that my bladder issues have improved with the use of EC's.

From a short, 23-25mm, Grower & Extreme Turtle. R

I will second Redcat’s comment “don’t give up your search etc” I changed to condom catheters over a year ago, in fact it is almost two years. I had previously been using other methods but really, I hated the experience. using external condom catheters has absolutely changed my life around my IC issues. If you have read my previous comments you will read I became a little creative, not wanting a daytime leg bag, arranged for my trouser and shorts pockets to be marginally deepened just enough to accommodate the cloth covered Conveen Active collection bag connected through my pocket & undies to the Conveen Optima Condom. Works a treat, no leaks, no swishing urine, totally discrete and so simple to use. After I have positioned it in a morning I almost forget it is there. It is easy to empty from the pocket and you don’t need to disconnect any of the tubing. I can't believe it has been so easy and so life changing considering my early struggle with diapers.
Over the last 9 months I have transitioned to using the Condom catheter at night in bed. I had always resisted but I am so pleased I have adopted this. After experimenting with all types of what seemed like “flimsy” plastic/vinyl bags I now have invested in a more semi permanent reusable bag from Urocare . 100mls Oval latex which should last 12 months. I hold it in place on my inner thigh with a Urocare leg sleeve. It took me a couple weeks to find suitable sleeping positions. I've been surprised how easy it was to adapt resulting a full night’s sleep. All in all, I am very happy with my condom catheter ... please don’t give up in your search for a solution.
6e361cdaae327b96d4d23bee4b1f0865.jpg
bc0a1209c3d66f7c5d7aaf0fd98bd773.jpg
8eda3de9dcedd0205fa44c786b6759ac.jpg

@Philo

Thanks for your post! Have you used a night bag that hangs on the bed frame? Why do you prefer a bag that you tuck by your thigh. Is it low enough to drain away from the condom while you are sleeping? Also, 100 ml doesn’t sound like much. Most night bags are 2000ml. Do you have to limit your water intake before bed?

Hi Klew11
I haven’t tried a hanging night bag . I have been extremely happy with my leg bag placed on my inside upper leg thigh The leg sleeve has been excellent holding it in place . Yes you are correct about the 100 ML’s should say 1000 which is 1 litre . I haven’t needed anything bigger and wearing on my leg I don’t think I could . I don’t limit my water intake in fact I drink water quite generously in the evenings .

Sorry missed you question re the drain . Yes the bag is around 3 to 4 inches lower than the end of the condom catheter just leaving enough space for the rigid tubing and connections to curve between . I hold the tubing with Velcro fastening catheter strap supplied by most of the IC retailers . It works no accidents I’m happy

Klew11

Thank you for your private message. I have chosen to publish my response in case others are finding these comments helpful. The small bag i use in all my trouser/shorts/gym shorts pockets is a Conveen 250mls cloth covered Active leg bag... see photo. I use it for 1 week then throw away. I clean nightly with special cleaning liquid available from Urocare. It is just over 8 inches long and 4 inches wide approx. I did have my pockets deepened slightly. The bag can crease slightly to fit better if necessary, however the bag should /will never be seen external of or in the opening of the pocket. On some of my more upmarket suits I had a small closing press stud put in the entry to the pocket when they were altering the depth of the pocket. No additional tubing is required other that what comes with it. I wear fairly tight undies which tends to help things stay in place if you know what i mean Cut a small hole in the pocket approx a quarter the way down allowing the pipe to come out just less than horizontal to the end of the condom. Rather than your penis facing downwards towards the floor, face it at approx 90 degs towards your pocket and cut a very small hole in your undies and join the condom to the bag tube. You may need to slightly adjust until you get the levels right. The urine will find a downward level and you may need to slightly adjust until you get it right. Even being level works for me. Once you void, go to the toilet to empty. However, having said that I often empty after 2 voids and even have done 3 but you will know when to empty. The initial phone consultant at Coloplast advised me right back at the beginning this was an unpublished method of management ... now I've published it!! I've listed below straight from the supplier's website the advantages of the Active bag.
Product description
Soft plug outlet tap allows normal emptying of a full bladder without removing the collecting system
Hide-away outlet tap is concealed in elastic band when not in use.
Soft fabric band for increased wearing comfort
Anti-kink tubing reduces risk of backflow and prevents accidental leakage.
Free of PVC and phthalates
Discreet design
Color scheme for less visibility under clothing.
Key benefits
Conveen® Active is our most discreet bag, designed to give you the confidence to be and stay active.
Conveen Active is a small, discreet bag that is invisible to others, even when worn under short clothing.
It has an adjustable tube for personal fit
It is soft, silicone outlet permits you to void normally into the toilet without disconnecting the bag and sheath.
e31b52609fd9b62691cb34594754216c.jpg

Redcat said:
@TiredofBeingWet Don't give up your search for a Condom Catheter /External Catheter, I call them (EC's), that works for you. Message or email me and I am more than willing to go into detail. I also tried the Liberty's and liked them. But went on to find a standard EC that works better for me. I can start another post so as not to pirate this posting. It can take awhile to find an EC that works, but once you have figured it out, trust me you get your life and confidence back.

1) MOST IMPORTANT is to find a Dr. that will patiently work with you.
2)Next thing to do is start a daily log. What you put on, size, type, material of EC, manufacturer, and any other info you think might be pertinent like type/style of leg bag. Rate those products. It did not take me long to see patterns emerge. I found silicone felt and works better for me. Latex gave me sores.
3)Download and use the sizing gauge that the manufactures post online. That will give you a place to start so you can ask for EC's in that size range. There is no point receiving a 35 or 41mm when you are a 23-25mm.
4)Do not be afraid to ask for free samples from the many manufactures. Include leg and night bags. There are so many to choose from, don't settle until you are comfortable. There are even pleated leg bags that eliminate the sloshing noises.
5)There are showers and growers and some of us are turtles... the EC's for one will not work for the other. Ask for longer or shorter samples. The adhesive is placed forward on some and to the rear on others. It gets confusing... so the log really helps.
6)Just because you are trying EC's doesn't mean you have to put your diapers aside. I wore diapers and pads until I was confident that I had it figured out.
7)One of my biggest problems was the soap I was using. Change to a soap like Ivory that doesn't have all the oils and lotions in it. The oils and lotions will interfere with the adhesive, causing premature failure.
8)Change your EC ever 24hrs to look for any skin problems.

Do not get discouraged. It may take time. But in the long run it is well worth the time spent so you are dry and odor free.

At 69 I still work most days as a landscaper. I also snow plow sidewalks in the winter. Both jobs put me in view of the public. The EC's have given me back the ability to work and recreate. I again enjoy driving on vacations without worry. It was more than well worth the time I spent finding what works for me. My health is better because I am better hydrated. My sleep is better because I no longer get wet at night. The other thing I have found is that my bladder issues have improved with the use of EC's.

From a short, 23-25mm, Grower & Extreme Turtle. R

I'm a big fan of external (condom) catheters and still use them occasionally. I like the Hollister brand. Condoms come in 4 sizes (1 for a child and 3 for adults). Easy to get samples in all adult sizes and detrmine best fit. Light use of adhesive so the stay in place but not hard/painful to remove. Never had a leakage issue. I used the Medium (540 ml) leg bag which has sufficient capacity but not overly big or uncomfortable. Cut the tube to the correct length depending on where you wear it on your leg. You need to have sufficient length/girth for the condoms to fit and work effectively so that may be the one drawback.

7ab5e398ea90aeb5e35d92595435345e.jpg

I thought the tube under his airplane was the end of his liberty catheter so he could fly without wetting his pants or using a urinal.

Then I thought that that would work in a plane, but I didn't think it would work in a car.

Then I thought what the heck am I thinking?

Then I laughed.