Condom Catheters

Archives1

Staff member
I am six weeks post radical prostatectomy. I have found that using a condom catheter provides a welcome change from adult diapers.

Do any you use condom catheters on an everyday basis? Are they safe for daily use?
Any downsides for daily use?

Thanks in advance for any information and experiences. I greatly appreciate any comments.

When I used them every day I had trouble trying to keep the hoses together and constantly had leaks also had a lot of pulling on my parts eventually I just gave up and went to diapers they seemed to work a lot better and didn’t have the pulling every time I tried to do something like work on cars or wood working

I had my prostatectomy in 2005 leaving me incontinent but not obstructed. After a year of pads, I used Cunningham clamps, expecting my bladder capacity would increase due to intermittent filling and release but never got past a 2 hour max interval time to get to a toilet to empty. Still had overflow problems. Wherever I was, I had to watch the clock with before/after empties at movies, restaurants, etc. Complicating all of this, I'm handicapped so the worst situation was air travel, trying not to have to get up to the BR even on a medium length flight.

I'm about 5 years into using condom catheters. The emptying interval while awake is 4-5 hours. I try to get 3 days use out of each condom. Bags last a few months and are reusable with bleach/water cleaning: I rotate 3 of them. I restrict fluid intake after supper to get me through the night. I use a belly bag rather than a leg bag and need no tubing between the condom and the bag. There still are wetness problems, overwhelmingly due to my own carelessness in following the protocols I've set up.

I have used condom catheters frequently for a number of years with success. Whether using the adhesive or non adhesive type, using the correct size is important for a secure fit.
If using constantly, be sure to check your skin.
Like Mel mentioned above it is important to clean your bags between each use.
I still use them at times to manage my urge incontinence even though I have switched to the Foley a few years ago.

Using condom catheters reminds me of a joke.
Why did the condom go flying across the room?
It got pissed off.
Sorry about that, but that happened to me using a condom catheter.

I got a sample pack from a local company and used them for a couple of days to see if they would be a better option for me for longer shifts at work. I found that they were less discrete than the pull ups I usually wear in that I could hear the leg bag filling up with urine and sloshing around when I walked, and the sensation of the tube against my leg really bothered me. I also like having the option of going to the toilet when I can make it in time, which is more often than not. I can see the benefits for people who are less mobile and who have total urinary incontinence, but condom catheters are not for me.

I wear everyday with mostly success. Need to change one daily for good hygiene and maintaining adherence. Sizing is important and took me a long time to get the right size. But for the most part, they keep me dry and protected. I wear with Coloplast active bags which I change daily. I can gently void in the bag if needed but run the risk of blow off and wet pants or I remove from the bag and catheterise into a toilet. They really help me and I recommend them. I use Holister inview size 29 with 2 Coloplast prep wipes.

I also wear a sheath everyday I have never had a leak or a problem etc. Compared to what I had to use previous to the sheath management this has proved to be a perfect solution.Using the sheath has changed my life and my pride and how I present myself in public. It has been a life saver for me.It has been positively accepted by my partner...wearing nappies and diapers previously were causing major challengers between us.The secret to success of the sheath management is to get the correct size condom in the first place. All the companies supply a measuring gauge but more importantly they supply adequate samples to try to achieve the correct fit. I use a Hollister Inview 41 sheath.(https://hollister.com.au/en-au/prod...x_free/inview-silicone-male-external-catheter) with a small 250 mls "sports active" urine bag fitted into my trouser or shorts pocket (https://products.coloplast.us/coloplast/continence-care/conveen/conveen-active-leg-bag/)I have never needed to fit the bag on my leg. The bag in my pocket is 100% discrete and only needs emptying probably 3 to 4 times during the day. It takes me less than 2 mins in a morning to fit and 2 mins at night to take off. I dont need any IC management whilst sleeping. I dont now consider I have an incontinence problem I just have incontinence.

I don't understand using the catheter bag in you pocket. Doesn't it have to be below because of the flow - gravity? Has anyone used the condom catheter bags for golf? are they comfortable? can you hide them under shorts? How do you empty bag discretely? Thank you.

THN you are correct RE gravity .. I did get my lovely alterations guy adjust my pockets deeper including my golf shorts etc . I’ve been using the condom catheters for around 2 yrs now ..using for golf you won’t even notice you have it on . I always have the bag in my pocket but for the first time last in bed I fixed to my leg with the adhesive on the bag and it work well .The secret to the success is the fitting .. get the correct size and fit securely on your penis .. ensure the tubing connections are secure ..touch wood I have never had a leak . Emptying is simple and discrete with the small external plug outlet .. best of luck with it .. having had IC for years I struggled with other forms protection but the condom catheter certainly changed my life around IC for the better

I tried them but had all the typical problems. I move around too much in bed and ⁴that leads to kinks in the tube, and ultimately a massive spill. Also, during the day if the bag leaks or the line comes off, you destroy a pair of shoes. With a fitted brief, if it leaks, you throw your pants in the laundry and get on with your life. I am beyond being embarrassed when I purchase the briefs, because if the problem wasn't MUCH more common than we think, it wouldn't be possible to buy them at EVERY drug store, and just about every grocery store. Catheterization is what caused my problem in the first place and I frankly don't wish to deal with any more problems because of it.

Yes I suspect using condom catheter in bed could be an issue if restless but my first experience last night was a good one . In terms of everyday use I would recommend a condom catheter above anything else but may not suit some people I guess . The small pipe on my bag is quite robust and I doubt would kink in normal use As I said before correct sizing and comfortable fitting are essential ingredients

It has been 5 weeks since my prostatectomy. I would like to be able to do light yard work without having to change my pullups or pad, every hour. Is there a condom style catheter that I could use maybe a few hours each day? Another problem is my "little friend" has turned shy (is usually withdrawn) since the surgery. I'm afraid this might be a problem for anything needing to be slid on.

@TiredofBeingWet Have you tried Liberty? They attach with adhesive on the tip only. I don't use them personally but, I heard good comments about them if this is the route you want to pursue.

I investigated men's liberty. Not for me. Way too much bullshit. For now,
I'll stick with diapers and plastic pants.

I have not looked at Liberty yet. I have seen other manufacturers with that style, and it did seem more involved. Of coure I'm not sure how involved a condom catheter would be. I'm trying to find something that might make my incontinence more tollerable when I'm outside. Then I also worry about possible bladder infections when wearing either of these style catheters.

I've used condom catheters now for a couple of years. Read my previous comments in this and list of threads. There is a lot of detail and should hopefully give you the confidence you are looking for. I have recently changed to the Conveen Optima urisheath as I find them a little easier to use and a little more resistant to kinking. Sizing is the most important part of the exercise closely followed by you ensuring the 2 connections are secure and the bag closed off. It's as simple as ABC once you get used to it. It takes me 2 mins in a morning to set up. They are discrete, respectful and everything I needed to help me better manage my IC issues. I have no hesitation recommending condom catheters.

Has anyone used a condom catheter with what is called a retracted penis? Only makes occasional appearances. I mentioned it in a earlier post, just not sure if this will be a problem for this style catheter.

I have used external (condom) catheters extensively. I do not have a retracted penis so cannot answer your question directly. I use Hollister condoms which work very well for me. The Hollister condoms come in a variety of sizes - small, intermediate, medium, and large. (I believe sizing is determined by penis girth, not length). I expect the Hollister or other makers would have something you could consider and try. External catheters are relatively comfortable (as compared to pull ups/pads and penile clamps) and do work well and can make a big difference! You should talk to your urologist to see what he/she would suggest.