Condom Catheter

I've been using condom catheters every day for about 2 months now. I started out using the Coloplast Freedom with Aloe. The problem I found was, even though I would apply a skin prep (made by Smith and Nephew), they would be very difficult to remove after being on all day. (I sleep in Depend pull ups.) I had noticed an obscure post saying that the original Coloplast Freedom Clear without Aloe were much easier to remove. So, I went online and found some without Aloe, ordered them, and they are much much better, I will say they are 50 times better for me, as the ones with Also would sometimes take me nearly a hour to remove and clear up all the sticky adhesive on my penis, and on my hands. I still use the Skin Prep in the morning and let it dry, before putting the condom catheter on. Then, when I remove it at night, it rolls right off, dry with no adhesive getting on my fingers.

I use a leg bag and tubing by Hollister that fits on the inside of my leg between the knee and ankle. The tubing can be cut to length with scissors, and it's soft, light and flexible. The bags come with a wide (1 inch I think) straps that do a great job of holding the bag in place.) To drain the bag, I go to a toilet, raise the seat and flip the lever on the valve down 90 degrees to open. It's a 15-20 second operation.

I am in this state because a urologist here in NC apparently did something wrong last March during a GreenLight procedure to reduce the median lobe (BPH). It left me so incontinent that if I'm standing or walking, the bladder drains totally. So a pullup/diaper is really wet in no time at all. I flush the bag at night, wash the tubing with a bit of alcohol and hang it to dry overnight. Before I finally worked out this arrangement with the non-Aloe catheters, I was at my wits end, changing Depend pullups and cleaning 8 to 10 times a day.

I tried in college and more recently at work. I had a variety and nothing really fit. Just a no go for me. I also like the option of peeing normally when I can.

Every urologist I've ever consulted has recommended that I wear an external catheter instead of a diaper. One even told me that wearing a diaper was "unmanly." So I've tried several different kinds of external catheters. Most recently, when I was getting ready to have abdominal surgery that I thought would preclude wearing a diaper for a while afterward, I tried Coloplast and found the product to be reliable and comfortable to wear during the day. However, I toss and turn at night and always ended up getting the tubing tangled therefore waking up in a wet bed. Nevertheless, even though the Coloplast produce worked well during the daytime, I greatly prefer to use diapers to manage my urge incontinence. I find that the condom catheters are harder to set up properly and prone to more spectacular leaks than is the case with a diaper. I also prefer the way that diapers feel.

inconninmiss said:
Every urologist I've ever consulted has recommended that I wear an external catheter instead of a diaper. One even told me that wearing a diaper was "unmanly."

This is SO annoying. Most doctors try to steer you away from diapers. I guess they feel like they've failed if you end up in diapers. My urologist put me on pills. I tried 7 or 8 OAB meds and nothing worked. Either the side effects were insufferable or the medicine had little if any effect on my bedwetting. My OAB had continued to progress as the doctor even acknowledged was likely and I now have accidents all the time. If you don't want me to wear a diaper, and your pills don't work WTF DO you want me to do? Stay inside at home for the rest of my life?

Sorry, but I also prefer the way diapers feel to the way those gross medications made me feel. I HATE that I'm a 36 year old who has to wear diapers, don't get me wrong, but I'll take the diapers over those meds any day.

For a doctor to suggest wearing diapers is not "manly" is extremely unprofessional. I'd seek a new doctor. When my doctor told me "I'd prefer you didn't use diapers" I simply replied "I'd prefer not waking up soaked in urine and soaking my wife in urine". I think he kind of got it, but I know he still doesn't like it. I stopped seeing him anyway as I don't feel like there's much hope for me. I will likely make another urologist appointment at some point this year, but I'll probably find a different doctor as I didn't really care for him and his anti diaper attitude.