Condom Catheter

Archives1

Staff member
Hi, I was just wondering if any men have tried a condom catheter as an alternative to diapers? If so what do you think? What did you like and dislike and how did it compare?

I do not recommend them based on my experience. I ended up with skin breakdown and infection. Send me a private message and I can tell you what the aftermath and recovery were like.

Besudes that the bag was very clumsy and does not work well if you are even semi active. If you void all at once the condom catheter cannot keep up with the load and you can end up with a huge volume of leakage

With a proper fit, they are a decent alternative toa diaper for sure, but it takes a lot of trial and, unfortunately errors too to get it right. Silicone ones from Rochester or Coloplast/Mentor are my preferred choices, I do not at all like the latex ones. Leg bags are a personal preference again, Hollister are what I use, and with a leg bag holder (Urocare makes a good one) it is a good set up, but not for everyone. For at night, as long as you don't roll around all night, the are a good way to stay dry.

Skinny B, I see diapers in your picture which do you use? Atlanta Guy, did you get a UTI? Did you use barrier cream at all?

I use both, depending on what I am doing at the time. Travel is the time I use the catheters the most, much easier then changing in dirty bathrooms! #m makes a skin prep that makes your skin tacky so they stick better, it does work, almost too well some days!

Ben, sent you a message. You shouldn't have a uti issue, it may take some time to get use to them though.

Wife wants me to try and go back to useing a condom catheter so tonight she's just put one one me for bed with a night bag oh well I sell how it goes'

I don't like them. Tried them for a (short) while - won't do it again. I move around a lot in bed and if it was to somehow come undone, the mess,(to say nothing of the damage) would be something I would not want to deal with - especially at 3 or 4 a.m. Same thing for daytime use - if it leaked, your shoe would be ruined and would smell before long. At night, I found myself getting tangled up in it. Just not a good alternative in my experience.

I have never gotten comfortable with condom catheters. But it's not so much the catheter than the urine collection bag that I am uncomfortable with, plus the tubing that can kink and block.

For those of you that make condom catheters work for you, where do you have the bag (during day, during night?), and how do you secure the bag?

When I am using mine, I secure the tape very well all the way down to the bag, so there is no movement of it or risk of it kinking, that is my biggest concern about this system, and it looks after all my worries. Leg bag on the inside of the back of my calf, most unnoticeable spot when it is half full or more, but I drain it when it gets to that point, don't like the weight. Urocare makes a sleeve/sock that the bag sits in, MUCH better then the straps, even the wide ones that Hollister uses, which is the model bag I use as well... 2000cc bedside bag at night, but I prefer diapers more at night lately, as my sleep has been a mess for months, so anything that can make it better I am OK with! :)

I have used (supposed to be using... I get frustrated with this and stop. Only to get frustrated and start again.)condom caths at night for my frequent urination at night. That set up does take some getting used to. I found that I have to sleep on my back most often, and be careful rolling over to my side. (If one can be careful rolling onto their side while asleep.) The dripping and leaks are no longer a problem, but the maintenance of the bag and such is a burden. But less than cleaning bed linens. I do have another problem. While I seen to be able to drip and leak at night, I do not seem to be empty my bladder while lying down.

Nice to be dry, but as the post reads, certainly not for everyone! Makes traveling so much easier then being in a diaper and needing to change, and find a suitable location for that as well.

Condom caths do take some getting used to. You also have to shave to use them. (I hope I don't have to explain that further.) I hang the bag from a plastic hanger between the mattress and the box spring. I also have a catheter holder around my thigh to keep things from being pulled. I have also read about running the drain hose through a cut off sock around your ankle.
Time for bed. Till later..

tried them. Didn't work for me. I do acrobatics in my sleep. A snug diaper is by far the most effective management tool I've come across so far.