College Bedwetting

Archives1

Staff member
My son is 18 and will be heading to college next year. He is very concerned about coping with bed wetting while in the dorms. Any advice? He currently takes medication which helps most nights...but he still has accidents 2-3 times per month. Sometimes more when he's over-tired or stressed---which will be often in college. I'm wondering if anyone has tried an alarm? Hypnosis? I'm a worried mom and would do anything to take care of this problem for him...just looking for advice.

College admissions and dormitory management offices have long experience with students' bed wetting problems. Contact them to make appropriate arrangements for your son. Good luck and keep us informed.

I agree with Patrick. It's been many years ago now, but that's what I did. I roomed with a guy who also had special needs, although he was not a bed wetter. The mutual support that we provided for each other was beneficial to us both.

Similar experience-When I went to College they had a special needs/requests section on the dormitory forms. He will either get paired up with someone that has the same medical issues, or get a single.

I was bed wetter until 9. Had 1 or 2 after that. Had a few my first year in college. Get him a private room. Make sure he has a change of sheets ready. What are the demographic of the school. He needs to have clean on at all time. He is going to stay up late and maybe experiment with things. I'm sure you would like that future daughter in law to have a clean bed. I used an wetting alarm is cured me. Trained me to get up in the middle of the night. I still Do.

I went to a large university and made arrangements ahead of tme. I had two otheir roomies and each were wetters, 1 or 2 nights a week, but I needed to wear diapersall the time because I have no control. We got along well and are still friends to this day.

Just for new viewers because this thread is kind of old. I managed my bedwetting with diapers and fortunately had an understanding roommate who never made any special issue out of it. I suppose the fact I had a car and he would sometimes borrow it kept him at bay.

I'm 35 and wear diapers to bed now. I hate it but I'm coming to accept it. It's getting to feel a bit more normal to me but I'm only about a month into it. My bedwetting has gone off the charts from 1-2 times a year to almost every night gradually over the last 6-8 months. At this point, I became so fed up with waking up soaked and having to sleep on towels and then wash a huge load of bedding an towels most days of the week. You know what I realized? It's just SO MUCH EASIER to wake up and throw a wet diaper in the trash and get on with my day.

For anyone else dealing with this, who may be new to it, I'd say if your wetting is heavy enough and often enough that a diaper might make your life easier then just consider it and get on with things. It's not the end of the world. It's a little weird at first and hard to get used to but it's the most practical solution I've found.

I have OAB and the meds aren't doing much for me given the trade off for side effects. I'm on my 3rd medication now and if this one doesn't work I'm probably just taking a break from pills. Luckily my daytime issues are mild enough that a "guard" style pad gets me by.