Clamps

Archives1

Staff member
Hello
Any experience with clamps?
My PT suggested to try them first before using a CC because when using a clamp the bladder fills up and then triggers the urge to go; an important feedback after prostatectomy
Thank you

I did use a clamp for close to a year due to being totally incontinent. The first time you put it on is a little odd, but it’s not nearly as uncomfortable as it looks. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not ideal, but it allowed me to live a more normal life without being concerned about leaking while wearing depends or heavy pad. It also saved a lot of money while waiting for my AUS surgery. My urologist felt it was fine also.

After my prostatectomy in 2005, I used pads for about a year and then used Cunningham clamps for about the next decade. I expected my bladder to respond with good filling but ended up having to open the clamp every two hours because of strong urging and leakage. To control the leakage I also used a #4 pad. If I was sitting quietly, for instance at a movie theater I could void before and after the film . Overnight I would leave the clamp off and just use a pad and was successful enough that I would awake just a few times each night to get to the toilet with what I called a "hand clamp". For about the past six years though I have switched over to condom catheters along with a belly bag bird. And in the recent months I am using condom catheter with leg bag. I still use a clamp during the interim time when condom catheter is off.

You can use the magnifying glass at the upper left to search. Use the advance search to search within topics. You have to search with at least 4 characters. Try search clamp and clamps both.

My Experience
Update May 11, 2024. I used the clamp for months 4 and 5 (Jan - Feb 2021) after RALP in Sept 2020.

__Lunderg_Clamp_for_incontinence_20240511.txt

I used the Lunderg Confidence Clamp for a few months - I just needed relief to get from home to doctor appointments without soaking a pad every time I got out of my car.

I prefer the Lunderg Confidence Clamp, If out of stock, try the Wiesner Incontinence Clamp ($35 on Amazon 6/7/2022).

Both Lunderg Confidence Clamp and Wiesner Incontinence Clamp have 3 sizes bottom pads with a dimple that presses on the urethra from the bottom to stop urine flow and to control the pressure on the urethral and not the whole penis. The top pad does NOT have a dimple. Both use medical grade silicone rubber to cover the bottom and top pads.

I prefer Lunderg because it has one tab that inserts into one of 4 HOLES to tighten. The Wiesner has one tab that clicks under one of 4 TABS to tighten which leaves the exposed tabs.

Both clamps documentation states to release and readjust EVERY 1-2 hours and NOT for overnight use.

I started out wearing the clamp for a few hours a day and added time before using the clamp outside of the house. I wanted to determine correct bottom pad size; pressure (4 locking positions); and how it felt sitting, standing, and walking.

Watched the pressure - I use "for Small" bottom clamp and click it in the second hole. I am able to press the head of my privates and the skin discolors and recolors appropriately. Not too tight to cut off circulation, but has been doing the job.

Lunderg Confidence Clamp - Link updated 05/11/2024

Wiesner Incontinence Clamp - Link updated 05/11/2024

Lunderg sends through Amazon Prime $39.95 on 05/11/2024

In dealing with our issues we are lucky to have so many options to choose from or mix and match. I guess that males may have a couple additional options than females.

I have a clamp that I paid fairly big money for I find they are handy for special occasions but not something I can wear for a long period of time .

I use them some. I tend to get a bit sore sometimes from it even tho I do try to move it to different spots. I have used a few different ones and have got them online. It can be a huge savings compared to using absorbent type products not to mention not having to deal with buying, changing and disposing of them.

I used a Weisner clamp for a little while. Worked good for me but takes a little time to get used to. I also purchased a Lunberg clamp but never used. Still boxed and wrapped. If someone is strapped for cash I would gladly mail to someone that needs it.

Search button very finicky. I tried it before posting
I had to put in the Hyphen between ‘penile’ and ‘clamp’ for it to work. Just ‘clamp’ nothing comes up!

As a filmmaker, I‘d almost like to make a short comedy cartoon animation about how preposterous the concept of a clamp on a female urethra hole would be, but I don’t know who would screen that film, lol! Is there an incontinence film festival? I guess I could make the entire little cartoon movie about how many options men have compared to women, yet don’t even appreciate it, and how they complain soooooooo much more than women about their incontinence and ED, even though women are by far the primary gender experiencing incontinence and total loss of natural sexual function following men-o-pause. Basically any woman who’s ever had a baby experiences incontinence, which is the bulk of the 52% of the population who is female. Our website does not include 52% of the overall population. Fewer than one percent of the people currently active on this forum are female. I try to find it hilarious but sometimes it’s disturbing. I’m so glad I recently joined the female-only Facebook group about incontinence.

@Matthias are you sure you searched for the entire past history, not just the past month? I’ve been here for over seven years and there are tons of entries about clamps. You need to make sure you elect the function that searches for a year or more, not just past 30 days.

I used the Weisner clamp for a short while, which I liked for leakage problems. However, I ended up discontinuing use because of my OAB, and putting the clamp on and off every two hours or so became cumbersome. Also, my pubic hair kept getting tangled in the device and pinching whenever I had to manipulate it. Since my work days are long and busy, I decided to forego the clamp and stick to Depends, which I like a lot.

I like the Bard clamp. Rather than plastic construction, it is made of metal (padded, of course) which allows it to be easily bent by hand to fit one's anatomy. Plastic clamps cant do this. So if you are in between sizes, the Bard clamp can be adjusted to your need and comfort!

Lunderg and Wiesner plastic clamps come with 3 different size lower pads and have 4 positions to adjust fit your needs.

I would suggest trimming pubic hair.

"Part of my post 4 days ago"

Both Lunderg Confidence Clamp and Wiesner Incontinence Clamp have 3 sizes bottom pads with a dimple that presses on the urethra from the bottom to stop urine flow and to control the pressure on the urethral and not the whole penis. The top pad does NOT have a dimple. Both use medical grade silicone rubber to cover the bottom and top pads.

I prefer Lunderg because it has one tab that inserts into one of 4 HOLES to tighten. The Wiesner has one tab that clicks under one of 4 TABS to tighten which leaves the exposed tabs.

Both clamps documentation states to release and readjust EVERY 1-2 hours and NOT for overnight use.

I also tried Acticuf which is an absorbent pouch that has a padded compressing part that creates a slight clamping effect when worn. They didnt stay on me very well but may work for others. Disposable. Seemed well made.