Changing at the gym

Archives1

Staff member
So I recently joined a new gym because it is closer to my home. Long story short, I had almost a 2 hour workout, was wet and in need of a change before getting in my car to drive home.

When I can I change in the handicap stall, but this gym only has one, which was being used at the time. The other stalls are too small and it is very difficult for me to change in there.

There was nobody in the locker room at the time so I laid a towel on the bench next to my locker and proceeded to change. I was almost done cleaning myself up, when to my dismay a group of young men came in as I was taping on the fresh diaper.

They stared, made inappropriate comments and laughed in my face. I wanted to say something to management but I was so embarrassed I just threw everything in my gym bag and got out of there.

I’m not sure if I will return to that gym. It was a terrible experience.

I am so sorry those young men were so rude and mean to you. I wish that when they saw you, they had just left you alone in peace.

If you liked the gym, I hope you will go there again since it is close to your house. Two ideas: 1) If someone is using the handicapped stall, wait till they have left, 2) Put down a waterproof chair cover (washable or a chux) on your car seat before you go into the gym, and drive home wet. Change in the peace of your own home.

Dcny,
Sorry you had to go through that. I agree with boasammy. And I would say something to the managers about the rude people. No reason as a paying customer you have to put up with that, nor should the managers.
Definitely consider standing your ground. You are trying to get healthier and you have a medical condition. Prayers for a peaceful and productive workout again, without the haters.
Kind regards,
Jim

@Dcny sorry that you had to cope with this, we could do without such people. I hope it doesn't put you off the exercise, cheers Phil

@Dcny

Like others I am sorry you had this experience. I agree with @jrpoorman in that you should talk to management. Not just the front desk person but a full manager. Explain your embarrassment and who knows maybe they had privet areas that you are not aware of as a new member that they can point out for your use.

@boasammy also had good suggestions. Though going home wet might not be the most comfortable thing it is an option given protection on your car seat.

Enjoy your healthy lifestyle and don't let some inappropriate comments form people who obviously do not understand the situation drive you away.

sport said:
That was not good someday [they] may be in that situation.

@sport Good point, they might just find themselves in a similar situation in the future or were bedwetters growing up and forgot the embarrassment that comments like that can cause.

Am I the only one who doesn’t think changing a used diaper in a common area like a locker room is appropriate? We’re talking about a urine soaked undergarment, and as much as we think of them as just a different type of underwear, when they’re used it is a little different. Best handled in a restroom in my humble opinion.

Certainly doesn’t excuse rude comments but there have to be better options. Of course a disabled stall is best, but a normal stall should be sufficient in most cases. Or maybe go to a nearby store? Or just head home if it’s not too far.

@Sylvia I have seen enough nude bodies and private parts at my local gym. I would actually appreciate someone covering it, even if it was a diaper! We literally had a sign reminding people not to wash their genitals in the sink.

Yeah I get that it’s the gym and people are gonna be naked and “letting it all hang out” so to speak. I just think changing a diaper that’s been used is probably best done in private. Of course that doesn’t excuse the immature jerks that have no empathy.

Thanks for your support and kind words everyone, I appreciate it. I’m going to order a waterproof cover for my car seat so I can drive home without worrying about staining my cloth seats. The car is new and is a lease, which is why I didn’t wanna risk a leak driving home.

And Sylvia, I have seen normal people walk around naked, sit down naked in the sauna, shave in the sinks, etc...so no, I do NOT think changing a diaper in the corner of the locker room is inappropriate. I was as quick and discreet as possible. I laid a towel on the bench and the wet diaper went straight into a plastic bag, never touching anything in the locker room.

The normal stalls are very tight to the and truthfully I’m still not that good at changing standing up. Given the scenario it was easier for me to sit on my towel and quickly get it done. And once the clean diaper was on I don’t see how it’s any different than underwear.

@Dcny

If your gym is like our Y then I totally get how using a stall would not work. Our Y is old and the locker room is old. Stalls are very narrow and not deep. Pretty much just enough room for a toilet and your knees might hit the door when you sit down.

I also agree that I have seen plenty in the locker room that I wish I could unsee. Guys shaving, walking naked like nothing, scratching in areas that should be scratched in private and on and on. While I have not seen a guy change his diaper I have see guys changing their adult pull ups like Depends and the like. They slide them off, clean up, put on a new one and throw the wet one in the big trash can. Pretty much everyone just goes on about their business in getting ready for a workout or getting ready to leave after one. Least you used a towel to sit on. Most these guys around here just sit down on the bench naked as they finish what they are doing be fore getting dressed.

I think the waterproof cover for your car seat is a good idea. I would also get a waterproof chair pad to put over the cover. If the chair pad gets wet, you can wash it, and the waterproof cover will remain dry. 2 layers of protection for your new seat.

I think you are being very hygenic and thoughtful, Dcny. Another thought is that you could take off the wet diaper in the stall, put it in the plastic bag and throw it in the garbage. The wet diaper won't be visible to anyone. Then put on the clean diaper in the locker room sitting on your towel on the bench. Take good care. I hope the young men were atypically immature.

That’s very unfortunate. I was kind of nervous the first time but discovered it was all in my perception. This first time I took off my wet diaper at la fitness I wasn’t viewed by anybody. I showered then put on a new diaper. I stand up when I put my diaper on and started when when no one was in my section of the locker room. While in the process a couple of guys did come in. I know they looked but neither of them said anything or acted strange about it in any way. This is now my routine and honestly have never had anyone say anything to me about it or act strange in any way. Now I will say these have been adults and the situation might be different if there was 2 or more teenagers witnessing this. Sounds to me like you were dealing with less than mature guys that were grouped together. I find if I treat it as just normal routine so does other guys around me.

It raised my spirits to read what you wrote, Donny. A group of teenagers can be ruthless, but when people are mature, it makes a world of difference.