Car trip questions

Archives1

Staff member
So I’m a couple weeks I’ll be going to see family, maybe 5 hours away from me. This will be my first road trip since going into diapers full time because of overactive bladder. How is this handled?

Where can I change diapers when not home? I’ve literally done every diaper change at home since it started. Gas station restrooms may be multi person, also how do I carry stuff in? A guy with a duffel bag in a gas station may attract a lot more negative attention than a woman with a large purse.

How do I dispose of the used diaper? I would assume I bag it in a separate plastic bag then just toss it in the bin with the paper towels...

Are there standards, rules or anything for this situation?

Try to find a rest area or truck stop. They as are much cleaner and should have multiple handicap stalls. Just bag and toss used products in the trash. Carry in only what you need to clean up yourself.

I agree with @artiejr try to stop at a rest area if you are on the interstates. The bathrooms are usually a lot larger and with bigger stalls. Instead of a big bag try using one of the smaller sports drawstring bags. They should be big enough to carry in what you need and not be obnoxiously large to draw attention.

As you live with diapers longer, you will discover that this situation is much less stressful than you think it should be. For the most part, people don't notice small details about other people in public. I used to use s small drawstring bag, as Jaytee said. Now I just roll up the diaper (disposable) and carry it in. Unless I am already having rash problems, in these situations I don't carry powder or baby lotion. You can bring a small container of diaper wipes in your pocket. If I do need powder, I always make sure to have one of those small containers of baby powder. Both Jaytee and artiejr are right about highway rest stops, if that is an option. The best thing about them is that they tend to have a lot of air circulation systems, which tend to make a good deal of background noise. In many smaller mens rooms (such as at convenience stores / gas stations), the room is extremely quiet, and the removal and replacement of a disposable diaper can be alarmingly loud, as well as being a sound that most people recognize from having kids. Lastly, since I only use plastic-backed diapers and I only have urinary incontinence, I do not put the wet diapers in a bag to dispose of them. I just roll them, fold them with the plastic side out, and tape them up securely. This creates a relatively compact "package" that can be discreetly dropped in the bin without drawing any attention.

The rest area restrooms are a better option. I usually carry my diapers and supplies in a small back pack and I've never had anyone even look at me as I was walking into restroom. I've done many road trips and never had issues, just make sure you wear a good quality, absorbent diaper rated for at least 8 hours of continous use. always pack a little more for the duration of your trip and for peace of mind buy a chair protector similar to the color of the car's seats. Also, pack some sealable plastic bags to dispose used diapers just in case there are no trash cans in bathroom stall and a small pack of wipes for clean ups should come in handy, have a safe trip!🙂

I would use a big pures for the trip and you should use diapers from north shore diapers. They have supper absorbent diapers. As for changing rest stops are a good place or truck stop is good too. One other thing bring extra diapers with you and wipes to.

Rather than a duffel bag, you could use something smaller like a laptop bag. Thats what I use for the times I need to change while traveling.

Hi @Newbie2this, I have a couple of ideas and hopefully you can use them. On a road trip, a rest stop or fast food restrooms may be the only option, provided you can find any that are open! A truck stop is also a good option as they have bigger restrooms.
First instead of a big duffel bag just use a backpack or something smaller and much more discreet. You may be able to fit only one or two diapers in there but you can always replenish the backpack before you get back on the road again.
In the backpack I would pack wipes and several white plastic garbage bags, small size if possible. And when you have changed put the used diaper in the bag, tie it up and just chuck it in the trash can assuming there is no one else in the restroom. If there is, then put the bag back into the backpack and then make your exit and throw out the bag with used diaper at the first convenient trash can whether it's on the premises or somewhere else down the road.
But it's a good idea to take more diapers than you think you will need. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
I hope this helps and I hope you have a great trip and are safe!
Happy trails! :D

I think the best approach is to try to eliminate having to change during the trip. To that end use a premium quality diaper which should last you 8+ hours. As mentioned above Northshore Care Supply is a great source. I would also recommend wearing a Garywear PUL diaper cover (i.e. plastic pant) just in case you do have a small leak. However, be aware that if you have a major leak virtually all plastic pants will leak around the leg openings so a seat pad is also a good idea.

If you do have to change my method is to put what ever you need into a plastic shopping bag and just carry it into the bathroom. Once you've made the change put the used diaper and wipes into the bag and simply drop it into the trash on your way out. It's true that changing a diaper in close quarters can make a bit of noise but most people won't really know what it is they are hearing. And really, do you care if you don't know them and will probably never see them again.

Another way is to use a premium diaper with a Male Guard or Booster Pad added. After a void (or two?) you will need to change the pad but that can be easily done almost anywhere and it will take just a few seconds. Just make sure not to remove the cover over the adhesive strip when putting it into your diaper. The great thing about this method is that it makes virtually no noise and you can carry the pads in your pants pocket into the restroom. It's a good idea to also carry a plastic bag to put the wet pad into.

Yes at first this is all a bit scary but after doing any kind of change in a public restroom a few times you won't even give it second thought.

5 hours isn't a big deal with bladder incon. You have options such as limit fluid intake so there's less to leak or use a product that will last 5 hours.

The other option, much harder said then done, just use the screw it approach. No one you pass will know you, you won’t see any of them again in your life, do what you need and don’t even think about them. Your comfort is more important. Take any kind of bag to carry them so people can’t blatantly see them. Change how you normally would and don’t worry about the noise. Then get back in your car. Life isn’t worth the stress. Like I said though it is much easier said then done.

Even before my urinary incontinence worsened, I would wear protection on long road trips because with my OAB findng a stop when I needed to go wasn't always an option. It likely depends on the extent of your incontinence though what level of protection you should need. Otherwise for reststops I would agree with the suggestion to bring a bag with supplies. A lot of rest areas have family/handicap restrooms that offer some more privacy and room to change.

I travelled all over the Four Corners last year wearing nappies 24/7 for the whole trip it wasn't a big deal. I refuse to let my incontinene stop me doing anything I want.

@Stevewet Well said!, I don't let it stop me from living life. As mentioned in previous posts, diapers are the tool that allow me to travel and have freedom of movement without worrying about having accidents. I have to wear 24/7 and for me it's just another day living worry free and enjoying life to it's fullest.

If urinary incontinence, place maxi pads in front if male and simply remove and replace it. Your diaper should be dry. I hunted 3 hours yedterday which was 4 hours of slow walking. Pad was full so i just removed pad and put in plastic bag. With only an hour to home i didnt even replace the pad, just continued to wesr the dry diaper underneath

HI @Mightychi, the "screw it" approach is best and as I get older (beats the alternative!)and more cynical I find that works out well! True it is much easier said than done but that levels out with more practice.
And @greengold4, I agree with finding a family/handicapped restroom option at rest stops. Sounds like a great solution. But I haven't seen too many. I guess that's because I haven't been on Interstate highways lately. But it is a good thing to keep an eye out for when you do make a road trip.

At a rest stop I've actually put the diaper half way in the front pants pocket/ shirt not tucked in covers the rest, small zip lock of wipes and a small bag as well. I didn't think it w was noticable. This is only from like car to McDonald's bathroom though.

I live in Ohio so in winter my coat can fit everything if I need to. So coats can be helpful.

@billliveshere typically newer rest areas have them. Here in Texas most of the rest areas seem to have been renovated or built recently so pretty much all of them seem to have family/handicap restrooms. In Arkansas when I'm driving home though the rest areas are older and only have male and female restrooms. Admittedly, I usually go super heavy on my protection for long trips so usually can avoid needing to stop and change. Either way even if someone sees you disposing of an used product or hears you changing, it is a random stranger you will likely never see again.

Hi @greengold, that all makes sense but if I were driving a long distance and I were to really "go super heavy" I would still want to stop at least every 90 minutes to 2 hours just to get out and stretch my legs. And that's whether or not I'd need to change. Doing that is a good way to break up your trip and get the circulation going as well as straighten out your back for awhile! In my pre-Covid "real life" as a nature center volunteer who leads kids on field trips, I am not sedentary by any stretch of the imagination. I don't see how truck drivers can sit for hours on end and drive constantly. AS much as I would love to see constantly changing scenery all of that sitting would not be an incentive!

I carry my stuff in a regular backpack.

Changing in public restrooms is a bit awkward at first but like all things you get used to it.

I just find a stall, do what I need to do and then carry the wet diaper out to the trash bin. I was terrified to do this at first because if anyone is in the restroom they obviously see you carrying a rolled up giant diaper to the trash, but after a while you kind of stop caring what strangers think.

For a 5 hour car ride, you could add a heavy duty booster to your normal diaper and likely make the whole trip, depending on your fluid intake and incontinence severity.

I wear better dry and would personally be ok for 5 hours in the car even with my heaving IC....unless I was slugging down iced coffee the whole way. Moderating fluids, most premium diapers would be up to the task.