can't stop

Archives1

Staff member
7mo post op, still using 7 to 10 diapers in 24 hr period,is this normal? 68yr old, gleason score 9 and radical prostate surg 1/7/21. any ideas. thanks

I had a score of 9 and had 1/2 my nerve bundle removed. I'm 72 and it took me 5 months to see an improvement. I am now at 8 months and don't use a pad unless I go out for the day just to catch a drip from a sneeze, give it more time and continue keigles and any other therapy you can get.

2003: gleason score 7 (i think), same operation & one node except chemo included, never got beyond a few pads a day, tapered to one a day by 3-4 months, then zero for about 2 years. Judging by my support group, it ranges from almost nothing-to-full diapers for years. Same for this forum.
It's pretty individual.
Had neurosurgery for brain growth (Mengionoma, not spelled right) and it was diapers for 3-4 months, now down to 2 pads a day (mostly), but amount tapering. Certain physical movements/exercises cause . "squirts". Certain liquids have had to reduced or used only in morning, urge can get actually painful.
Again, it seems to be highly individual. Some do seem to at least taper to less with time, time varies considerably.
Good luck. You are in the right place.

If you have not seen a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor and incontinence, please go see one. But make sure they specialize in this and have experience with men who have had radical prostatectomy.

Gleason score of 9, so my urologist removed the entire nerve bundle. He wanted to make sure the prostatectomy (12/22/20) got all the cancer. I regained my continence by mid-April. I am adamant about doing my kegels every day. Still have control 3 months later. Very happy about that. Hopefully you will get there soon.

I had my surgery 11 months ago. I saw steady improvement through that time, but it was VERY gradual. Now, dry days are common, but I haven’t thrown the pads away.

I highly recommend weighing the pads/diapers and keeping track of daily totals. For several months, it felt like I was making no progress, but the data showed otherwise. Seeing those improving numbers was good for my morale! As others have said, keep doing the exercises. Many also feel walking helps. Hang in there!

I had my surgery 16 months ago. Age 68. Total ED, totally incontinent when standing.Things didn’t turn out well for me. I’m part of the 5 percent. There’s been no improvement since the catheter was removed. About 8 heavy pads and I wear them 24 hours a day.