Camping

hope that you enjoy your camping trip. it's personally not me, but some people like it and you can't argue with that!

Hi Snow, is that a dome tent??? I looked it up online and they look pretty cool. But hopefully they are easy to set up!!! I remember pup tents and most didn't even have a floor!

@billliveshere Yes, it’s this one. In the photo, it doesn’t look nearly as big as it actually is. It’s at least a foot taller than me. I’m 5’7”. You can see how it has these hilarious little dog doors (also good for putting shoes out), as well as a doormat. These things are so luxurious and hysterical to me after the tiny, zero-luxury tents I’ve had to carry while backpacking. It even has a dome light (with a remote control!!!) that can be velcroed to the ceiling or the front door. Car camping is pure luxury compared to backpacking! It really makes me laugh every time!

I was supposed to go again this weekend, but it looks like I’ll be rained out, which is such a bummer!

92a5a1f1bcca38e5e2915dfc61e60e0f.jpg

Hi Snow, that looks like fun!!! When I was a kid we had an umbrella tent that had the main doorway with a flap that was supported by two poles and when it rained you simply put the flap down. And there was a tiny window in back with a screen and also with a roll-down flap also in case of rain. That was all well and good but when it was raining somebody still had to go outside and unroll the flap!! In other words air circulation (especially when raining) was not the primary objective of the tent's designer!!
I think your tent is eons ahead of the ol' umbrella tents!
And I see the little dog door!!! So you can bring 🐕Fido when camping and he won't paw holes in the fabric when he wants out! I laughed at your reference to putting shoes out! That would probably be an invitation for a 🐻bear or a 😺bobcat to come along and help himself to a pair of shoes!!! It also reminds me of stories about the days of the old Pullman cars. All of the private rooms also had little doors that were on a little box between the compartment and corridor. Savvy travelers put their shoes in the box and while everybody was sleeping the porter would reach into the box and take the shoes and shine them! And when you got up in the morning, reach in the box and pull out your just-shined shoes!!!
Well I wear sneakers about 99.999998 percent of the time so if I were to travel on a Pullman (in itself not at all likely these days) I don't think sneakers are meant to be shined!!!😄😄

@billliveshere Thank you for your stories :) My one complaint about my big tent is that the front door doesn’t have enough coverage. I mean, it stays dry *in* the tent, but the front porch area gets muddy. My 4-season backpacking tents have a full length “port cochère” so to speak.

@snow, Looking at the picture I do see what you mean. There is a little front porch area which could easily get muddy, but I think as long as it stays dry IN the tent that's where it really matters!!
And porte-cochere (haven't seen that word in a long time!) is the perfect way to describe the front of that old umbrella tent!!! I guess we can say it's a porte-cochere in miniature and a canvas one to boot!!!