Camping

Archives1

Staff member
I’m new to wearing diapers at night and not sure what is necessary to use at night. I’m not so worried about what to do at home but we are going on a camping trip. I’m a little worried about the humidity at night and staying comfortable. I wake up right after I have an accident and get changed right away. I typically switch to a pull-up as mine is just a one time deal and I don’t have an accident every night. Do I need to worry about skin breakdown with the heat? Im going through a bunch of different diaper samples so I don’t have a set brand I wear. they all seem to be the same to me. The less padding the better. Haven’t had any leaks but it’s only been a week and 4 times where I actually needed them. Will a diaper be just fine or should I be doing something else? I’m a little nervous about how I’m going to put them on since I won’t have a wall to lean against. I am going to bring a pad for protection in case there is a leak since we won’t be able to wash anything for a week.

In your situation I would bring either a big garbage bag or smaller bags to "pack out" the diapers. I have worn mostly pullups and some briefs without issues, depending on how long you'd be wearing them. As for your skin, if you severely leak, or have bigger voids, be sure to change immediately when possible. If your issues are only nighttime, I would get some bigger wipes and you should be good.

I haven't fully "hiked" in a diaper but I do a lot of hiking in pullups usually. My issues are daytime issues as well, but the same idea applies-Don't sit in urine any longer than you have to, if you can avoid it. Northshore also sells stronger pullups if you want something lighter and more breathable, but I am not super familiar with nighttime leakage. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

My closest situation to yours is when I stayed at a party in WI, they had portapotties and camping sections, I opted to get changed by laying down in my vehicle, with 2 window covers, and this worked ok. Id imagine your tent should work very well for changing if need be. Be sure to enjoy the outdoors!

Make sure you clean yourself up and take some diaper rash cream. If you sweat, it may irritate your skin. No fun.

Hi @Kylebern. What part of the country are you in? If it's a part of the country famed for its humidity like Florida is (where I live) then definitely wear a product that advertises that you feel dry. I think most pull-ups have that amenity in which you don't feel the wetness and it feels dry even after you void, but do check the packaging to find out for sure. I think a lot of pull-ups with that feature have something like a blue padding inside in that one "strategic area." And you don't want something plastic-backed like a taped brief would be because that just traps in the heat and wetness as well as the sweat when it's humid and warm. Well even if it's humid but cool it would still trap the sweat and that's even worse!
That said, if it were me I'd go with pull-ups. They can be changed like regular underwear and you don't have to find a wall to lean against for taping. Also a pull-up typically isn't plastic-backed and unless you have something that's billed as super absorbent, the padding isn't as thick.
And do definitely plan to "pack out" the used pull-ups because that's really the only environmentally sound thing you can do!
Good strong wipes are also a must so you won't be bothered by urine and sweat on your skin.
The only other thing I can think of is to have a great time and enjoy the outdoors and commune with nature!!!!

I would take a bunch of booster pads to put in your pull-ups. They take up way less room than any diaper and can be changed out quickly and without having to disrobe. Plus after they are used just a small plastic shopping bag can contain a lot of them discreetly as opposed to a large heavy bag of used pull-ups.

if you're sleeping in a sleeping bag while camping and bedwetting is an issue you can get a waterproof sleeping bag liner to help protect your sleeping bag

1d89e2a7a9bc155dacc3681082a94568.jpg

@DPCARE Wowwwwwwwwww, awesome, thanks for that!!!!!!!!! I never would have thought to Google that; I’m so impressed it exists!!!!!! Too bad it’s back ordered with no ETA on the next arrivals, but hey I can’t backpack right now because of my knee anyway, so maybe when I can again do so, they’ll be back in stock :) Oh you made my day!

Hi Snow, that does look interesting and I wish they had those back when I was a kid going camping. I had issues a couple of times and a liner like that might have made a difference. I hope you do read the comments but the idea is a great one and you might be able to make an adaptation or two. I hope your knee gets better soon so you can go on a backpacking trip. But since they are sold out it must be a really popular item and I guess the thing to do is to just keep checking that site.

I also looked at the reviews again this morning and most were not overly complimentary although the idea of the whole thing is great, like why didn't they think of something like this way before this???
And I agree that it likely wouldn't work for adults unless said adult is very small, but even with that....
And Snow, you probably can sew your own, if you're handy with needle and thread (I'm not!! Well I can sew on a button or maybe patch up a hole in socks)One thing I saw in the reviews was the material feels rough but you could probably make something that would work for you!!

That's a good point, @Mightychi! A one-person pup tent definitely does not cut it for changing!!! It would just barely do for just lying out flat in a sleeping bag.

Seven tents??? I bet you could set up a pretty elaborate campsite with all of those!!!! Dinner in the dinner tent and breakfast in the breakfast tent and sleep in the master tent!!!!

@billliveshere True! I have one that fits eight people and is seven feet tall with walls that fold down to make rooms. That’s the one I used a few weeks ago. Mostly I have smaller tents, because remember I used to backpack in all kinds of environments and weather.

How does one carry a tent that big??? I'm sure you can't just stuff something like that into a backpack!!!! It would take years just to learn how to fold it up again, probably like folding up a really giant road map!!

Lol, actually it’s really lightweight and fits in a bag 6”x6”x30”, and probably weighs about 17 lbs. Definitely not for backpacking, but great for car camping. When my friend and I went last weekend, I had a queen inflatable mattress and he had a full size. We had both mattresses inflated in the tent and still had a 3’ hallway between us. So much fun! It’s a $500 Columbia Bugaboo tent. Very luxurious. It’s definitely my favorite of my tents, though I have to take ultra lightweights on the trail. I once backpacked for 35 consecutive days in bear territory without crossing any human road or settlement with a pack that weighed 54 lbs. My ex-husband’s weighed 71 lbs. Now you see why my knees and back are shot! I think our tent weighed 7 lbs. on that trip because it had to be able to endure snow and below-freezing temps. Otherwise, we could have taken my 3.5 lb. tent. What a great trip that was; I consider it my top achievement.

Oh wow! A queen inflatable mattress and a 3-foot hallway between the rooms!!! Sounds like the Hilton!!! And the whole thing weighs 17 pounds??? That's not bad at all! But I can see where it would not be good for a backpacking trip, especially since the bag is 30 inches long. I haven't heard of the Columbia Bugaboo tent but I guess $500 isn't unreasonable for a luxury tent!
And where did you backpack for 35 days without seeing any road or settlement of any type??
On this side of the country, you could probably be in wilderness like that on the Appalachian Trail, especially in the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine that leads you to Mt. Katahdin. There may be a lean-to shelter here and there and the trail crosses the Canadian Pacific Railroad and maybe one or two logging roads but other than that, pure unadulterated wilderness!!! Plenty of bears and moose, deer, loons, coyotes, foxes, etc., to keep you company.
There is a tiny little town called Monson and it used to have a famous lodge that caters only to AT hikers. I don't know if it's still in business but it was run by a family and was famous for their food and room accommodations were quite simple. That was the last hikers saw of civilization before tackling the Hundred Mile Wilderness.